Teams are standing in line to get at Melrose

highschoolking

The Madison situation is in the past (old issue). And, I doubt if he would have had a positive impact on last year's team.

The big problem this year is simply coaching. A component of bad coaching is Melrose's case, is poor offensive line coaching. The coaches have simply failed to put a decent/well-coached offensive line on the field. This has nullified the potential they seem to have at the skill positions. You would think that they would improve as the season progresses, but so far, there is no sign of improvement.

It is not all on the offensive line. Calvin and Nash have had some holes to run through. The biggest issue is play selection. Now the O- Line is not the greatest in the city but at the same time, it is not the worst either. Kingsbury or Whitehaven didn't live in Melrose backfield all night. Poor play selection is their main problem and that is attributed to the inability to manage a football game.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Madison situation is in the past (old issue). And, I doubt if he would have had a positive impact on last year's team.

The big problem this year is simply coaching. A component of bad coaching is Melrose's case, is poor offensive line coaching. The coaches have simply failed to put a decent/well-coached offensive line on the field. This has nullified the potential they seem to have at the skill positions. You would think that they would improve as the season progresses, but so far, there is no sign of improvement.

old issue, new issue, the same issue?

I watched Melrose play Memphis Christian Brothers.

They are still good on defense but not as dominant as the Melrose teams that played Maryville. Of course those Melrose teams had some great players. Michael Carter was a beast. I don't see a Michael Carter on this team.

Graig Cooper was the reason Melrose was so scary on offense those years. I don't see no one like Cooper on offense.

Melrose still has some talent but not near as much talent as teams in the past had.

I watched Melrose play Memphis Christian Brothers.

They are still good on defense but not as dominant as the Melrose teams that played Maryville. Of course those Melrose teams had some great players. Michael Carter was a beast. I don't see a Michael Carter on this team.

Graig Cooper was the reason Melrose was so scary on offense those years. I don't see no one like Cooper on offense.

Melrose still has some talent but not near as much talent as teams in the past had.

They will have to bring in a good coach to get back to winning !

I wondered WHEN someone would get around to starting this sort of topic about Melrose! I've been waiting to weigh-in, on this issue!

--------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, you've hit the nail on the head, Fourthree. Melrose has horrible coaching. BTW, that was my observation last year as well. Same staff, new year.

Look, Coach Hubbard may have NFL coaching experience but, it's obvious that his receiver's-coach knowledge is not translating too well into a Head Coach @ the High School level. He was a bad hire, a very bad hire, IMO!

Elswhere on this topic, someone mentioned that Coach Hubbard might be fired at the end of the season....Well, I'm not so sure that's gonna happen--because, if my memory is working, Coach Hubbard and his boss (the Principal) are old pals, from way back in the day. Therefore, I doubt very seriously he's gonna get the axe, although I think he should be fired immediately.

This year's Melrose team is so completely out of sync (offensively, in particular), that they'll be lucky to win six games! Frankly, I have no earthly idea how they managed to outscore CBHS....I didn't think I'd ever see the day that a Melrose team was this IMPOTENT on offense. Melrose's defense is its only saving grace, at the moment!

My gut tells me -- should this Melrose team lose 2 more games, I strongly suspect that these kids are then going to lose complete interest in the rest of the season. They'll simply throw in the towel, stop competing and go on to lose another 2 or 3 games. If they lose interest on the defensive side of the ball....watch out--things could get really, really ugly! The players at Melrose are just not use to losing. Therefore, I just don't think that they're are not likely to handle it too well, IMO.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Melrose football is at a serious crossroads: If Melrose keeps its current Coaching staff, they'll likely continue to spiral downhill and become just another perennial also-ran. If they desire to return to their Glory years, then a Head Coaching change is mandatory, SOON! Should this change happen, hopefully the Principal will make a wiser choice the next time.

Losing Kenny Ingram hurt Melrose. I thought Ingram did a great job at Melrose. He was a class act and was probably a father figure to a lot of those kids.

Ingram was a heck of a coach also. I thought Melrose played more disciplined when he was there. I will tell you a play that showed the discipline that Melrose had. Maryville ran a fake end around.Andrew Clement runs down the line and Cade Thompson fakes a handoff. Thompson threw a go route to Steven Childs. Kenyatta Fullilove didn't go for the fake and stayed at home and intercepted that pass. Most safeties would have ran up on that fake.

If you have a Rivals account check out Kenyatta Fulliloves profile and watch his highlight tape. It shows that play.

http://tennessee.Unapproved Website/viewprospect.a...616&sport=1

There are many differences between High School-College-Pro atheletes . To think that coaching success at one level will automatically translate to the next is foolish. We could all spends hours coming up with numerous examples of couches succeding at one level and failing at another. But I think it really boils down to the challenges of coaching boys btween the ages of 14 and 19; a good high school coach understands that he is teaching not only football, but at least on some level is teaching some life lessons as well. I don't want to make to much of a sentimental point about it, but I really believe the very best high school coaches ( in any sport ) are the ones that spend time not only on fundamentals, but also, in their own ways, help these kids grow up.

Melrose may indeed have a problem in this regard. And I think Ridgeway has a similar issue on its hands. We don't need guys coaching in high school that are just looking for a paycheck, that are just marking time, or would rather be somewhere else.

If Melrose really wanted to get back on top and compete for gold balls instead of silver they should go after Wayne Randall who is sitting up there in Munford, Tn. with a team that went 2-8 before they got there and won the region with basicly the same team. Took a kid like Madison who the current staff didn't want and turned him into a region allstar. Melrose has the talent to be a National Team. It should be Melrose-Maryville every year. Why isn't it? Why don't they go after a guy like Randall? I would like to hear what you think?

If Melrose really wanted to get back on top and compete for gold balls instead of silver they should go after Wayne Randall who is sitting up there in Munford, Tn. with a team that went 2-8 before they got there and won the region with basicly the same team. Took a kid like Madison who the current staff didn't want and turned him into a region allstar. Melrose has the talent to be a National Team. It should be Melrose-Maryville every year. Why isn't it? Why don't they go after a guy like Randall? I would like to hear what you think?

I think Munford added their two best running backs and their best ol/dl after Randle got the job, 3 of their 4 most impactful players transferred in with Randle, so it was not basically the same team. Every thing else I agree with, take Randle and his ability to draw in talent in Memphis with the tradition of Melrose, he would be dangerous like he was at East but it is just a matter of time until other schools start getting players from Melrose lilke Randle.

I think Munford added their two best running backs and their best ol/dl after Randle got the job, 3 of their 4 most impactful players transferred in with Randle, so it was not basically the same team. Every thing else I agree with, take Randle and his ability to draw in talent in Memphis with the tradition of Melrose, he would be dangerous like he was at East but it is just a matter of time until other schools start getting players from Melrose lilke Randle.

Not if they get the right coaching staff that the kids can believe in. All you have to do is look what happened at Ridgeway as far as picking the wrong staff for a program to see what can go wrong. I believe the best in the city would want to play for him at Melrose.

Losing Kenny Ingram hurt Melrose. I thought Ingram did a great job at Melrose. He was a class act and was probably a father figure to a lot of those kids.

Ingram was a heck of a coach also. I thought Melrose played more disciplined when he was there. I will tell you a play that showed the discipline that Melrose had. Maryville ran a fake end around.Andrew Clement runs down the line and Cade Thompson fakes a handoff. Thompson threw a go route to Steven Childs. Kenyatta Fullilove didn't go for the fake and stayed at home and intercepted that pass. Most safeties would have ran up on that fake.

If you have a Rivals account check out Kenyatta Fulliloves profile and watch his highlight tape. It shows that play.

http://tennessee.Unapproved Website/viewprospect.a...616&sport=1

Excellent observation, RebelRon. I agree 100%.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I suppose the 100-thousand-dollar question now, becomes--Will the Principal at Melrose recognize there's a problem (current Coaching Staff), then take the necessary steps to correct it?

This one thing is guaranteed: The folks in Orange Mound (Melrose's community) are NOT going to stand by and keep quiet on the matter! They will NEVER accept its football team losing, EVER! Thus, the Principal at Melrose is going to get an earful of nasty comments and a whole lot of pressure, to make a Coaching change.

Make no mistake about it, Melrose's alumni and the Orange Mound Community have a lot of influence about what goes on at that school....a whole lot!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me tell you, I'd hate to be the Principal @ Melrose right about now!

Stay Tuned....