Dobyns Bennett @ Sevier County

tricitiessportsfan

Because they know they will be part of the "100 strong" on the bench. Every DB fan knows once GC has his mind made up there is little chance of another kid ever getting much playing time. ( I know he brought up CS, wow, one out the hundreds that have never received playing time.) No matter how many dropped passes, fumbles, missed tackles, cramps,if you are a "chosen one" your spot is secure and nobody will get a chance. Lets face it, a rule of "no hitting the first team" during practice doesnt give the other guys much of a chance to prove anything. Especially if they dont ever get into a game. When do they hit, spring practice? These guys leaving for other schools know they can play elsewhere, do good and have fun. Others are still at DB, just playing a sport where there isn't 100 dressed out. To be fair, football isnt the only sport where kids are leaving.

Great post!!! Again, I could not stress enough how much talent we have on the sidelines. I have had other children play High School sports and it has been the same way. You can't play 15 players and win a football game. You might be able to play close with some teams as we have, but not overcome those mistakes. We have some kids with great heart but we also need some talent, and the senior class is lacking this! DB is going to see some rough roads after these top 2 classes are gone, but they will find a way to stay afloat. I hope to see these guys get deep in the playoffs, but the other teams will be ready for our mishaps.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't have anything else to do during DB off week why not say a pray for Bears QB's father who is in a hospital fighting for his life after being hit by probably a drunk driver. Obviously a lot of off field distractions for him.

Good to see them do well last week. Things like this remind us that it's just a game and these boys are teenagers going through things like everyone else while trying to stay focused.

Our prayers go out to the boy's(QB) father.Yes that would be a big distraction.It is hard to have fun with that on your mind. Sincerely.

Because they know they will be part of the "100 strong" on the bench. Every DB fan knows once GC has his mind made up there is little chance of another kid ever getting much playing time. ( I know he brought up CS, wow, one out the hundreds that have never received playing time.) No matter how many dropped passes, fumbles, missed tackles, cramps,if you are a "chosen one" your spot is secure and nobody will get a chance. Lets face it, a rule of "no hitting the first team" during practice doesnt give the other guys much of a chance to prove anything. Especially if they dont ever get into a game. When do they hit, spring practice? These guys leaving for other schools know they can play elsewhere, do good and have fun. Others are still at DB, just playing a sport where there isn't 100 dressed out. To be fair, football isnt the only sport where kids are leaving.

WatchDoggy I am with you up to a certain point.How can you possibly play all them people that are standing on the sidelines?I agree with the practice thing,but thats practice not real action.The fact is there are way to many players on the team.There should be a cut after first week or two.Some parents think it builds character and discipline which it does.But the truth is there are only 11 players on the field at any given time.A kid might have a bad night then come back the next game and look and play great.When you know the talent is there are you going to sideline him?NO So in reality a coach has to make his mind to a certain point who can play at a given time.I wished they all could play so we could see them all in action.I will give you credit you have made some very good points just like alot of people have on these threads.The team seems to be jelling.I agree with the special team statement,maybe 24 should be back there alone,or 15 or 33 or 2 or 47 or whoever,they have to prove themself.Every game that I have watched the other teams punter has not given us much chance to return a kick and they are already downfield in the return mans face because there is no blocking on punts.It doesn't matter who fields the punt.WB(s) punter killed us.But I would rather be standing on the sideline for DB than playing for a loser.

WatchDoggy I am with you up to a certain point.How can you possibly play all them people that are standing on the sidelines?I agree with the practice thing,but thats practice not real action.The fact is there are way to many players on the team.There should be a cut after first week or two.Some parents think it builds character and discipline which it does.But the truth is there are only 11 players on the field at any given time.A kid might have a bad night then come back the next game and look and play great.When you know the talent is there are you going to sideline him?NO So in reality a coach has to make his mind to a certain point who can play at a given time.I wished they all could play so we could see them all in action.I will give you credit you have made some very good points just like alot of people have on these threads.The team seems to be jelling.I agree with the special team statement,maybe 24 should be back there alone,or 15 or 33 or 2 or 47 or whoever,they have to prove themself.Every game that I have watched the other teams punter has not given us much chance to return a kick and they are already downfield in the return mans face because there is no blocking on punts.It doesn't matter who fields the punt.WB(s) punter killed us.But I would rather be standing on the sideline for DB than playing for a loser.

I think they actually did play all those players on friday.I agree that whatever we had at one point was to many. I know most sports do have tryouts. I guess if we still had 140 or 150 going into fall practice,something would have to give.You made some great points and I think a lot of kids over the years would rather be standing on on DB's sideline.

Muffed punt returns have been a DB tradition. Just ask Skunky, he will recall a few. I'm sure they have told all of the guys to stay away, sometimes it is hard to coach smarts into a player. Did you not see Coach B chew him for trying to pick up a rolling punt? Of course they left him in. Any other kid, out of the game. He has a long way to go to be a good QB next year. GREAT talent, but a good QB has to have it between the ears to make good decisions. Cant make the read for the option, does his best when he keeps it and runs. Everybody is all excited about the playoffs after beating a terrible Cyclone team with no offense. The defense is good, not great. A good running team will eat the right side up. If not for Bateman holding down the side at DE it would be off to the races. #24 is a good playmaker on offense, but DB he aint! He looked silly trying to grab the jersey Friday night, kind of like UT. That was not his first time trying to tackle like that. #47 is too little and too weak. He makes tackles because of blitzing, never filling the hole like a LB. Always knocked into Hawkins county when the run is directly at him. Holt needs to let the neighbor lovefest with him go before it costs DB a game. GC still had 5-6 starters in on D in the 4th. That will bite him one day. The stuff about JS having a sore ankle, hogwash. That is just how he runs, side to side, never head on. Amazing, totally amazing what under center does with rotating backs coming in, JL and CS for a couple of plays then LT and JS with fresh legs. It will serve them well on D to have a rest too. #7 just doesnt have the comfort to run a shotgun every play. Now that DB has the line huddle, just add a few backs and they would have a complete huddle. No confusion of the play and faster. 2nd and 3rd team running plays in got plays off faster. That has hurt them already this year and will again. After the TN H game someone talked about how good the kicking game is for DB.??? The kicker is getting stronger now that they are scoring and he has a chance to kick off, but that is the only sign of improvment. The extra points stink. The hold looks bad and the kick just clears the crossbar. Never seen so many blocked extra points half way into a season. Although DB scored on the 4th down, that would have been a good chance for the kicker to practice a field goal during a game. DB will need that later this season. Best part of the kicking Friday night was DB didnt have to punt. The prior game was 5 punts for an ave. of 16 yards. That too has hurt in the past and will again. A running back that finally runs head on is not enough to save this team. Too many weak areas that will end the season early. Too many turnovers. IF they do well in the 2nd season it will only be because the entire state is down. Teams of yester year would have killed this team including Science Hill teams (HA!). Sorry, 14-0 at halftime is not impressive. DB wins the next 3 against weak teams and hangs on to beat Science Hill.

Watchdoggy please, u obviously know nothing about the younger kids on the team and arent aware the talent we have that isnt out there. I'm guessin you just come to the games and do your evaluations there, and havent seen any kids play freshmen or jv. Like someone else posted #10 dont need to be returnin punts ne way because really hes our back up QB and leading WR so why risk him gettin injured, and yeah i agree a couple poor decisions, but that doesnt mean he cant QB and run the option,i think most ppl know he can run circles around #7 running it and thats what they will run next yr, with playaction bootlegs etc... also #47 is pretty good for a sophmore he has pretty good lateral movement and his a ballhawk he's got some years to get bigger, I also like #9 subin in there hes probably our biggest LB and plugs the holes against the run also #45 plays extremely hard when hes in. #32 looks real impressive and looks to be #7's best friend now for taking some of that added pressure off of the passing game.

Here is a "Memory Lane" article about Hill:

http://timesnews.net/article.php?id=3693040

AWESOME!!!!!!!! /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

This could be the greatest post I have ever read!!!!!!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Maybe second greatest, I would like to hear that the QB's dad is doing better!

Prayers and best wishes go out to Sevier County's QB's dad, the Qb, and his family!

Watchdoggy please, u obviously know nothing about the younger kids on the team and arent aware the talent we have that isnt out there. I'm guessin you just come to the games and do your evaluations there, and havent seen any kids play freshmen or jv. Like someone else posted #10 dont need to be returnin punts ne way because really hes our back up QB and leading WR so why risk him gettin injured, and yeah i agree a couple poor decisions, but that doesnt mean he cant QB and run the option,i think most ppl know he can run circles around #7 running it and thats what they will run next yr, with playaction bootlegs etc... also #47 is pretty good for a sophmore he has pretty good lateral movement and his a ballhawk he's got some years to get bigger, I also like #9 subin in there hes probably our biggest LB and plugs the holes against the run also #45 plays extremely hard when hes in. #32 looks real impressive and looks to be #7's best friend now for taking some of that added pressure off of the passing game.

Evaluate this...Cyclone 2nd and 3rd teams outscored DB's Friday night and they did again last night. JV lost 20-18. Didnt see the game but I'm guessing it was similar to what has been said about all prior JV games. The Cyclone coach figured out who was going to run the ball %75 of the time and keyed on him. Lynn Garden Pee Wee coaching at its best. Not bad for an old guy just sitting in the stands watching some of the worst coaching since the time they had a DB "glory day" QB coaching DB football. (He does radio now) Sorry, seen you Dads hanging out at practices for 20+ years. I can evaluate just fine on Friday nights. #47 plays good for a Soph. but not as a starter for a 5-A school. He is either %100 or %0 depending on a lucky blitz. Rotate #9, #45 etc. into his spot. They can do the same on the blitz, plus hold their own when needed. Lord dont take the biggest LB (#18) out on short down situations. The OR runningback is sending the DB game film to colleges, especially when he ran to his left. #10 is one of the best athletes on the field, IF not the best. Needs more consistant QB playing time, not the QB shuffle in the middle of downs. For him to be really good, he needs a consistent offensive scheme to practice. The option from under center was not the game for the first 3 games. Not much of an option from shotgun. #7 will be fine now that they have an offensive scheme that fits the athletes on the field. Next year will be better, much better, just look at the young guys (JRs) now getting the playing time and there should be even more JRs. on the field. Not too sure about your assesment of the younger classes, 2-2 JV and the Freshman horse has left the barn for greener pastures!

Evaluate this...Cyclone 2nd and 3rd teams outscored DB's Friday night and they did again last night. JV lost 20-18. Didnt see the game but I'm guessing it was similar to what has been said about all prior JV games. The Cyclone coach figured out who was going to run the ball %75 of the time and keyed on him. Lynn Garden Pee Wee coaching at its best. Not bad for an old guy just sitting in the stands watching some of the worst coaching since the time they had a DB "glory day" QB coaching DB football. (He does radio now) Sorry, seen you Dads hanging out at practices for 20+ years. I can evaluate just fine on Friday nights. #47 plays good for a Soph. but not as a starter for a 5-A school. He is either %100 or %0 depending on a lucky blitz. Rotate #9, #45 etc. into his spot. They can do the same on the blitz, plus hold their own when needed. Lord dont take the biggest LB (#18) out on short down situations. The OR runningback is sending the DB game film to colleges, especially when he ran to his left. #10 is one of the best athletes on the field, IF not the best. Needs more consistant QB playing time, not the QB shuffle in the middle of downs. For him to be really good, he needs a consistent offensive scheme to practice. The option from under center was not the game for the first 3 games. Not much of an option from shotgun. #7 will be fine now that they have an offensive scheme that fits the athletes on the field. Next year will be better, much better, just look at the young guys (JRs) now getting the playing time and there should be even more JRs. on the field. Not too sure about your assesment of the younger classes, 2-2 JV and the Freshman horse has left the barn for greener pastures!

I agree with some things such as playing #9 more at LB. There are good seniors and juniors that could help more as the year rolls on.They take #18{CK} or whoever is playing the middle and replace them with another down lineman when they go to a 4 man front. The JV doesn't have a pure half back on the team.40){DS} is a solid Dogback and a good slot type receiver with big hands and good size.He is playing where last years halfback moved out of state.The freshman horse you are talking about,will do just fine for years to come, and 40 will be a big help at as well.If you watch some of the JV games,you will see some of the guys that played on friday against our guys.The JV has some nice athletes that will help the team over the next two years.The freshman played an undefeated JC team to the end without CS.

You hit the nail on the head!!!! I've made the same statement since coming aboard. Something that is puzzling to me, why do they not have 45 on D? He seems to be a hard hitter and I have talked with a good friend that said they watched him play from Pee Wee till now and he was labeled a head hunter in the early days???????? I will say I spent acouple of days about 50 yards from the shade tree and I saw him and a hand full of others that played the game the way it should be and he is the only one that plays and that is very limited???????? Again, must be one of GC's non picks on the D side of the ball. Also, I know the 21 well and seen him play as a youngster and he will also let it fly.(another Junior) I don't see alot of the Soph and Fresh helping much, but this Junior class has dominated all sports for years! This does not include CS of course.

You hit the nail on the head!!!! I've made the same statement since coming aboard. Something that is puzzling to me, why do they not have 45 on D? He seems to be a hard hitter and I have talked with a good friend that said they watched him play from Pee Wee till now and he was labeled a head hunter in the early days???????? I will say I spent acouple of days about 50 yards from the shade tree and I saw him and a hand full of others that played the game the way it should be and he is the only one that plays and that is very limited???????? Again, must be one of GC's non picks on the D side of the ball. Also, I know the 21 well and seen him play as a youngster and he will also let it fly.(another Junior) I don't see alot of the Soph and Fresh helping much, but this Junior class has dominated all sports for years! This does not include CS of course.

I agree#45 J.Lawson would be good on D,I watched him at LG Pee Wee but so would 9,3,25,10,17,and especially #6.But there is no room for them.That goes back to what I said about too many players.When they moved #47 up in front of B.Baker that was a big mistake.DB has a lot of good talented players.They just have to wait their turn when the coach decides , not the parents.(its hard) But thats the way it is at big schools.There is always North across town.

I agree#45 J.Lawson would be good on D,I watched him at LG Pee Wee but so would 9,3,25,10,17,and especially #6.But there is no room for them.That goes back to what I said about too many players.When they moved #47 up in front of B.Baker that was a big mistake.DB has a lot of good talented players.They just have to wait their turn when the coach decides , not the parents.(its hard) But thats the way it is at big schools.There is always North across town.

They've got Mold /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

3 was released from the team I hear, 25 is out for the year and 17 is not in the same ball park as 45 and 9. Pendleton should be a starter no doubt. He and Lawson had a great JV year as Soph's. Both of these kids have more ball smarts and talent than the Soph that plays in front of them. He will help this team, but like some of the other people have noted, he can only play one way and that is shooting. We will need to have people that can plug the hole and be strong enough to stop that and read the ball of this position. 47 has alot of tackles this year, but most of these are because the ball comes to his side the majority of the time or these are down field tackles. Enough said about these few kids, the problem has been not playing more than 15 or 16 kids for 4 quarters, but I believe the coaching staff has corrected this. I do not see the move with 47 over Baker being that big of a deal nor do I blame Rogan for going to the smaller kid. Both of these kids will play there. It is hard for these coaches to play this many kids, but we are talking about a hand full. All my insight comes from observing these kids for the last several years and not having a kid that plays at this time that I feel should be out there.