Maryville's Schedule is WEAK!

WarriorFan

Thanks Solomon for the help with the article. I knew it was there but didn't know where to find it.

By the way Brandon, I hear that the pre game meal at Brentwood is Bacon Lettuce and George Said No Sandwiches served with a glass of Whine.

Rebel9

Intersting this did not come out in your local papers or other media. Why would it be in a chatanooga where Potter lived? To make him look bad? Can anyone else back this up? Again, where is the quote from GQ stating he turned the job down and was staying? His departure would have been big news, and definitely newsworthy. Funny no other major paper picked this up to my knowledge that GQ was offered the job.

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Intersting this did not come out in your local papers or other media. Why would it be in a chatanooga where Potter lived? To make him look bad? Can anyone else back this up? Again, where is the quote from GQ stating he turned the job down and was staying? His departure would have been big news, and definitely newsworthy. Funny no other major paper picked this up to my knowledge that GQ was offered the job.

No, that was just the first article mentioning it that came up when I googled it.

Unfortunately, most of the articles about this subject are either deleted off most sites or are pay archived. And CoachT had to purge a lot of old threads to save server space because people post on here 5 years but don't pay $12 to be a plus members. There were tons of articles on the BA coaching search thread that would answer your question.

I believe it was the News-Sentinel last year that had an article that quoted Quarles saying one of the reasons he didn't want to go to BA was because his son didn't want to buy new clothes because he liked his Rebel shirts.

Take it or leave it.

You by any chance don't use the name CR Vol on other websites do you?

No, that was just the first article mentioning it that came up when I googled it.

Unfortunately, most of the articles about this subject are either deleted off most sites or are pay archived. And CoachT had to purge a lot of old threads to save server space because people post on here 5 years but don't pay $12 to be a plus members. There were tons of articles on the BA coaching search thread that would answer your question.

I believe it was the News-Sentinel last year that had an article that quoted Quarles saying one of the reasons he didn't want to go to BA was because his son didn't want to buy new clothes because he liked his Rebel shirts.

Take it or leave it.

CR Vol is not me. I apologize if I am wrong. I will check w/others. Thanks.

Now, to stay on topic (unless a new thread is started on if GQ was truly offered the job at BA)....Maryville scheduling some competition.....

On Friday nites, ESPN shows the "best of the best"......great schools across the country playing each other.....schools in FL playing schools in TX.....#1 vs. #2 in the country.....evidently, others like to see great matchups as well. When you play great teams, you find how good you are.

Take it or leave it.

Solomon I remember the article about his son and the rebel shirts I think it was in the Knox news

Well there is not much you can do about your region or who you play. Some years you'll play really good teams and other times they arent as good. But lets look at Maryville's post season schedule. Since 2000, maryville has played many many teams who were 10-0 during the regular season and were "supposed to" beat marville because it was "their" year. Since 2000, Maryville has played 34 post season game. Their winning % is 97.14%. They have outscored their opponents 1,104 - 445. MHS point per game - 32.47 Opponent - 13.08

So you can say whatever you want to about Maryville's season schedule. Yes they do beat up on teams during regular season, but they also beat up on them during post season. Maryville, last year had 1441 students and they will move up to 5A w/in the next 2 yrs. So for you WB and other fans across TN (and i am speaking to the minority here) who like to start crap and talk about how maryville should be 5A and they recruit their players...you should be thankful that maryville is 4A because when they beat you each year, it doesnt hurt you as much now as it will in a few yrs when they move up to 5A. As far as West TN goes, Maryville has a 100% winning percentage against you so until you start bringing that number down.... :x shhhh

CR Vol is not me. I apologize if I am wrong. I will check w/others. Thanks.

Now, to stay on topic (unless a new thread is started on if GQ was truly offered the job at BA)....Maryville scheduling some competition.....

On Friday nites, ESPN shows the "best of the best"......great schools across the country playing each other.....schools in FL playing schools in TX.....#1 vs. #2 in the country.....evidently, others like to see great matchups as well. When you play great teams, you find how good you are.

Personally, I don't care anything about these nationwide match-ups. I think it's going to lead to a lot of heachaches and trouble in the long run. I watched the South Carroll/Miami Northwest because I wanted to see SC's offense, but other than that I could have cared less. I would much rather go and watch a couple of small town 1A teams who have played for 50+ years with county bragging rights on the line. That's more fun, and to me, what high school sports are about.

I've lived in all three grand regions of the state and watched big inter-region games, and I have yet to witness a game that came close to the excitement that Maryville/WB was Friday night. Maryville/Oak Ridge or Maryville/BA would be nice, but it would pale in comparison to that game.

Don't worry though, because unless starsnbars has a major garbage-collectin' field trip planned the day of the 09 headcount, you are going to get your wish.

Maryville's opponents thus far (Alcoa, Clinton, Heritage, Powell, William Blount) have a combined record of 13-12.

Brentwood Academy's opponents thus far (Westside, Baylor, Independence, Ravenwood, McCallie, and Smyrna) have a combined record of 16-17.

On average I see Dobyns-Bennett play about once or twice a year. There's no doubt that DB and Oak Ridge would be competitive, but Maryville would beat them more often than not. Maryville also has handled Hillsboro on more than one occassion lately. In my opinion, Riverdale was better than Maryville in 2004, but wasn't the past two years.

After someone was talking about how Westside was going to embarrass Brentwood, I was glad to hear that Brentwood beat them 21-0. Someone said MBA wasn't Tennessee's best, in reference to their game with Byrnes. I would say the same about Westside. I'm sure they're a good team, but 4 out of their 5 victories came against opponents who currently have a .500 record or worse. One is 0-6. Two of their victories came against teams in a lower classification. Westside is still ranked high in South Carolina, but unless they were going easy on some of those teams, they have more opponents to worry about than just Byrnes.

Maryville's three non-conference games are against rivals. Those games generate a lot of revenue. From a financial and competitive perspective why would they want to travel 200-300 miles to play a team? Most public schools can't afford to do the things that the privates can. With the exception of the privates, how many public schools consistently go to play teams that are several hundred miles away? Maryville has managed to win state several times regardless of who they've played in the regular season.

When Maryville moves to 5A in 2009, that will give them at least one open slot to play someone different since Alcoa will most likely take the other one.

Also if we start talking about how Maryville should be in 5A I think it would be appropriate to talk about other teams that currently have enrollment numbers above their classification limit but didn't exceed the limit in 2004.

I think it is bad strategy to counter attack Brandon100 on BA's schedule vs. Maryville's schedule. BA's opponent's records are so bad because most of them have played tough schedules themselves. Most of them have had to play, obviously BA and most of them MBA, as well and/or they are 5A.

No one is saying that Maryville is not a great program. It is a program that we all respect. We know the fans have nothing to say about your schedule, so don't take the talking points so personally. All I am saying is, you have a souped up sports car. Take her out and see what she can do. I know 99% of the Maryville fans would love to if they had a vote.

We went down this road with Brandon a few months back and that thread started by him was basically identical to this one. My guess is he was so hopeful Maryville would go down on Friday and when they didn't the frustration got the best of him. Let him spin himself into a corner a few times and he will get it out of his system.

Who cares if GQ turned down BA or not--maybe he did--so what? Brandon 100 definitely has a lot of time on his hands, but he does make some good points.

It's obvious that Maryville does NOT play a strong schedule. To me, that's not even an issue. The statistics back it up and anyone that knows high school footbal in TN can figure that out. I'm more curious as to why they won't play a tougher schedule. It sounds like they may have some economic reasons or rivalvry reasons. Perhaps they don't want to travel and they have some great "rivalry games" within the region that bring out huge crowds every year. But these aren't really rivalry games. It's not a rivalry if one team is winning all the time, especially winning big. The school and its fans are obviously very contempt with beating up on their weak schedule. They don't have the attitude that they want to continue to challenge themselves.

That's why I don't think they should be nationally ranked. Are they a great program? Absolutely. Is GQ a great coach? No doubt. But people know that they aren't out there playing the best competition they can find, not even close. Stats aren't everything. I just have a hard time understanding why they wouldn't go out there and schedule some of the other traditional TN powerhouses. If I were a Maryville fan, I would certainly be pushing for it.

(As for the BA-Maryville comparisons. I just know that BA scheduled the defending 5A state champs, the 5A runner-ups, the Div.II runner-up, a pretty solid South Carolina team this year, and MBA which looks very strong again this year. That's the toughest schedule I've seen anyone play.)

hey, they get it done in the playoffs don't they. the rebs in 5A would be sweet. then they can actually proclain themselves as the best in the state. i want to see the rebs face the riverdales, dickson co.s. franklins, mbas, brentwoods, brentwood academys, and symarnas. those are strong power house teams. what does 4A offer the rebs? hillsboros, clevlands, red banks, maplewoods, melroses. don't get me wrong, those are great teams, but they are not 5A teams. when does the reb nation step up and go to the big leagues? till then, the rebs hold the states best record, but are not the best team till they beat the privates or 5A schools. just my opinion, i am granted that.

It doesnt matter how weak a schedule is if you still win state anyways budday.

Interestingly enough, it was possible to win state by going 7-8 a few years ago. Only needed 2 conference wins to get in the playoffs...luck from there. I don't think it happened but hey, something to think about.

I think now a 9-6 team has a chance to win the state.