11AA picks

MIDTN

papatiger,

I heard that Waverly was now starting a freshman, Prince (I assume), at point guard??? I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression that yall's coach did not allow freshmen to play varsity (unless absolutely necessary due to numbers), let alone start? And don't they have all of their players (including starters) back from a year ago, including a whole slew of seniors?

You are correct on most accounts. Yes, Katie Prince a freshman is starting at point guard. She is getting better every game and brings some great additions to the team. She still makes some freshman mistakes, but can see her improving as the year goes on. Is shooting very well at the free throw line too. 80%+. Yes they have 8 seniors back and are very experienced, but the Prince girl is a really good ball handler and plays defense pretty good. Now, should she be starting instead of a senior? In my opinion no. But I am not the coach. Also, the deal with freshmen, I know the past 4 years she has tried giving the talented freshmen a chance to play with the varsity. In fact with this class of seniors she let about 9 freshmen rotate dressing out to give them experience. I know that for a fact because my daughter was one of those freshmen. Unfortunately, she decided after her freshmen year she wants to be a cheerleader. Blah!!!!!!!!!

This can be a really good team if they will play together. They lack in height. But they play hard. They will compete for the district title. Don't know who will win it though. Really competitive district.

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are correct on most accounts. Yes, Katie Prince a freshman is starting at point guard. She is getting better every game and brings some great additions to the team. She still makes some freshman mistakes, but can see her improving as the year goes on. Is shooting very well at the free throw line too. 80%+. Yes they have 8 seniors back and are very experienced, but the Prince girl is a really good ball handler and plays defense pretty good. Now, should she be starting instead of a senior? In my opinion no. But I am not the coach. Also, the deal with freshmen, I know the past 4 years she has tried giving the talented freshmen a chance to play with the varsity. In fact with this class of seniors she let about 9 freshmen rotate dressing out to give them experience. I know that for a fact because my daughter was one of those freshmen. Unfortunately, she decided after her freshmen year she wants to be a cheerleader. Blah!!!!!!!!!

This can be a really good team if they will play together. They lack in height. But they play hard. They will compete for the district title. Don't know who will win it though. Really competitive district.

Since Prince has been starting Waverly is 4 and 2, i believe, 2 and 4 before the change. Handles the press very well which is something that was hurting Waverly early in the season.

Since Prince has been starting Waverly is 4 and 2, i believe, 2 and 4 before the change. Handles the press very well which is something that was hurting Waverly early in the season.

Prince has been a nice addition to the starting line-up. It is questionable whether she should be starting over some seniors, however the only thing she is lacking is high-school experience. (Last year she led her middle school team to win the state tournament.) She can handle the ball and score just as good or better than most seniors. She is very naturally talented and will only continued to get better. I think after break we will see an even better change in this Waverly team. Once Prince adjusts to starting with four other Seniors and gets in her comfort zone a huge difference will probably be seen. The way I understand it is that the Seniors love here too... it is almost impossible to NOT get along with Kati.

papatiger,

I heard that Waverly was now starting a freshman, Prince (I assume), at point guard??? I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression that yall's coach did not allow freshmen to play varsity (unless absolutely necessary due to numbers), let alone start? And don't they have all of their players (including starters) back from a year ago, including a whole slew of seniors?

Waverly has 4 of 5 starters back. There was one very good senior on the team last year (Mullinax).

Prince has been a nice addition to the starting line-up. It is questionable whether she should be starting over some seniors, however the only thing she is lacking is high-school experience. (Last year she led her middle school team to win the state tournament.) She can handle the ball and score just as good or better than most seniors. She is very naturally talented and will only continued to get better. I think after break we will see an even better change in this Waverly team. Once Prince adjusts to starting with four other Seniors and gets in her comfort zone a huge difference will probably be seen. The way I understand it is that the Seniors love here too... it is almost impossible to NOT get along with Kati.

The only time I have ever seen her play was at the TNT State Tournament last year (they did not win it, they were eliminated by Celina in the first round by around twenty). She seemed like a capable guard with good size and a decent shot. She did not have much of a left hand and struggled to finish around the basket, but was a good outside shooter if left open and automatic from the free throw line. She appeared to be a very good leader.

It appears as though Waverly has improved since she was put into the starting line-up. Good luck to them and her. Hope they have a good season.

The only time I have ever seen her play was at the TNT State Tournament last year (they did not win it, they were eliminated by Celina in the first round by around twenty). She seemed like a capable guard with good size and a decent shot. She did not have much of a left hand and struggled to finish around the basket, but was a good outside shooter if left open and automatic from the free throw line. She appeared to be a very good leader.

It appears as though Waverly has improved since she was put into the starting line-up. Good luck to them and her. Hope they have a good season.

You're right, they did not win state. For some reason I was thinking they did, but it was the boys that won two years ago. They did win some tournament last year though.

You're right, they did not win state. For some reason I was thinking they did, but it was the boys that won two years ago. They did win some tournament last year though.

Nope. Harpeth won the state sectional tournament for middle school boys, small division last year and the year before. Waverly was in the tournament 2 years ago, but didn't win it. Harpeth put them out in the semis.

Nope. Harpeth won the state sectional tournament for middle school boys, small division last year and the year before. Waverly was in the tournament 2 years ago, but didn't win it. Harpeth put them out in the semis.

They are talking about Lakeview, which is the other feeder school for Waverly Central. I had to go back and look but Lakeview boys did win the TNT State Tournament two years ago. Lakeview is not a member of TMSAA.

Gotcha. New Johnsonville area. Harpeth played them in Tn Tech camp 2 years ago.

Anybody got updated standings before the district gets going full bore?

Here's what coacht shows. Any corrections? Position based only on winning percentage in district.

Cheatham 12-4 (4-0)

Creekwood 11-4 (4-1)

Waverly 6-6 (3-1)

Harpeth 5-8 (2-1)

Sycamore 10-6 (2-3)

Stewart County 6-4 (2-3)

Fairview 3-8 (1-5)

Mont. Central 5-6 (0-4)

Gotcha. New Johnsonville area. Harpeth played them in Tn Tech camp 2 years ago.

Anybody got updated standings before the district gets going full bore?

Here's what coacht shows. Any corrections? Position based only on winning percentage in district.

Cheatham 12-4 (4-0)

Creekwood 11-4 (4-1)

Waverly 6-6 (3-1)

Harpeth 5-8 (2-1)

Sycamore 10-6 (2-3)

Stewart County 6-4 (2-3)

Fairview 3-8 (1-5)

Mont. Central 5-6 (0-4)

Look for Harpeth to make a run, they only get better every game. They will challenge Cheatham, Creekwood, and Waverly for the title.