Montgomery Bell Academy in 2008 Herbstreit Classic in Cincinnati, OH?

WarriorFan

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if MBA really was invited to this game, it certainly is an interesting choice. I guess this is one of those things that MBA can't really say "no" too, but I wonder what the circumstances are behind it? MBA hasn't appeared in the national rankings since 2003. Hasn't won a state title since 2003. I would have to assume that Maryville would be the logical choice, but I'm sure they have an East TN team to beat 50-0 instead of taking a shot at this game.

As proud as I am of Daniel and the job he's done so far, I don't see MBA having the team to go be competitive in one of these things right now...

I have a bunch of friends who went to St. X in Cincinatti...the school (like St. X in Louisville) is enormous. Brandon your article notes that St. X in Louisville has 1400 boys in the high school...MBA has around 500. BA must have around 200. You have to really time it right (i.e., have an exceptional group of athletes at the right time) to have the team to play against these huge schools.

if MBA really was invited to this game, it certainly is an interesting choice. I guess this is one of those things that MBA can't really say "no" too, but I wonder what the circumstances are behind it? MBA hasn't appeared in the national rankings since 2003. Hasn't won a state title since 2003. I would have to assume that Maryville would be the logical choice, but I'm sure they have an East TN team to beat 50-0 instead of taking a shot at this game.

As proud as I am of Daniel and the job he's done so far, I don't see MBA having the team to go be competitive in one of these things right now...

I have a bunch of friends who went to St. X in Cincinatti...the school (like St. X in Louisville) is enormous. Brandon your article notes that St. X in Louisville has 1400 boys in the high school...MBA has around 500. BA must have around 200. You have to really time it right (i.e., have an exceptional group of athletes at the right time) to have the team to play against these huge schools.

Good point about enrollment sizes. That may be one thing that hamstrings Ensworth. Dpeth and durability is always a potential worry for MBA with toughly 100 boys per class. With Ensworth planning on about 60-70 boys per class (at least that's my understanding), depth and durability would be more like a recurring nightmare in the Super However Many it is.

Actually, assuming it's played on Labor Day weekend next year as it is this year, yeah they do. Some team called Alcoa I think Maryville has played once or twice before.

according to one of the other threads, Alcoa was having trouble filling out its schedule, as two of its former 5A opponents dropped them (hence the McCallie games). That would indicate that they have some flexibility to move the game if Maryville was really interested in it. Maryville is the 15th ranked team in the country according to USA Today with a 50+ game winning streak. It doesn't make any sense to me that MBA was the choice for this game as the Tennessee representative over Maryville... So either the organizers of the game wanted MBA over Maryville regardless, or they wanted Maryville and Maryville declined the invitation...

Here is why MBA is going......

This was posted in The Jackson Sun (Jackson, TN) two weeks ago regarding Serious High School Football in KENTUCKY of all places.......if you cannot pull it up here is the story......

Football

A football game with 37,558 in attendance would usually have two colleges involved.

However, the game Jackson's Alan Sallee Sr . and Dan O'Brien attended last Friday was a high school game in Louisville, Ky.

The two private Louisville high schools involved - St. Xavier and Trinity - played at the University of Louisville's Papa John Cardinal Stadium. St. Xavier recently opened a new 6,200-seat football stadium on the school's campus, but it was too small to handle Friday's crowd.

"The game is played (annually) before the largest crowd in the nation for a high school football game," Sallee said. "The atmosphere is great with tailgating before the game that resembles college tailgating, people barbecuing ... It's an event."

More than one-third of a million dollars can be generated in ticket sales for the game.

"Tickets are $10, and people don't come because it's cheap," Sallee said. "They come because it's an event. They would sell the same number of tickets if they were $25 each."

Sallee, a 1956 graduate of St. Xavier, said when he attended the school his tuition was $72 a year.

Today, tuition is $9,700 per year for each of the 1,400 students enrolled, he said.

"It's a factory," Sallee said of St. X., which opened in 1864 when the Xaverian Brothers started the high school. "They have a new football stadium, baseball and basketball facilities ... an incredible situation."

The reason why MBA is going to the game, in my opinion, is because they have a winning series record against Trinity, and showed they WOULD travel........