Montgomery Bell Academy in 2008 Herbstreit Classic in Cincinnati, OH?

WarriorFan

On the recruiting issue I am not sure about MBA but it is a proven fact BA recruits. They need to recruit so they are competitive and keep beating some of the public schools! I think the privates should only be allowed to play other privates.

You write 3 intelligent and articulate paragraphs about private schools vs public schools (making some great points along the way), etc, but then you have to end with an ignorant comment about how it is a proven fact that BA recruits. It's incredible how many people feel it necessary to voice their opinion on a subject they know nothing about. BA whoops on public schools so they must recruit. Great reasoning. Or every once in a while we'll get the old, "I knew someone who knew someone who got recruited by BA." You have no idea what you are talking about. If your local public school is getting whooped by some private school then take your beating and keep your mouth shut. Stop trying to come up with excuses that revolve around recruiting. Yes, maybe the private schools have more talent, but it doesn't mean it had to come through recruiting.

Have you checked out some of these private schools (BA, MBA, etc)? The facilities are amazing--like small colleges in a lot of cases. The faculties are outstanding. They send 99% of their kids to college every year. Their coaching staffs are excellent. Many private schools have a spiritual/religious component looking to nurture the whole person. For the most part, kids are in an environment more condusive to learning, etc. Gee, I wonder why anyone would want to attend a private school? Athletes are attracted to these schools b/c they are great institutions that can help get them to college. PRIVATE SCHOOLS DON'T HAVE TO RECRUIT. The product sells itself.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a shallow you are in thinking the Public schools need to get a clue. "Tennessee public school football needs to get the big picture on what is happening nationally and get in on the competition and publicity".

You think because private schools with huge budgets will travel for a game the tax payers should pick up the tab for the public schools to do it. Right! I would like to see better text books, classrooms, better teacher pay and facilities before a school drops $30K on a football game just to get some hollow publicity. Never fails some rich people always look down their noses at those of us who don't have 20K to send our kids to a private school just to play football. Heck I would like to have 20K to help my son pay for college. The fact is most of us work for a living and many were not born with a silver spoon in our mouths.

Most kids play football for the right reasons, like sportsmanship and pride. Beyond HS most players never suit again. Most who sign a letter of intent never play a down at the college level. Traveling to play a game is Ok for the rich boys but to us lowly taxpayers we simply think the event is not worth the cost. Playing other public schools is ok and keeps a community together and the money spent on hot dogs goes to buy band stuff and new face masks.

I guess you think the big picture is about sports but in reality it is about many more things than that.

On the recruiting issue I am not sure about MBA but it is a proven fact BA recruits. They need to recruit so they are competitive and keep beating some of the public schools! I think the privates should only be allowed to play other privates.

Yeah.......the lowly taxpayers....I pay my share as well..just like you....as a matter of fact...the "rich" people you talk about pay a higher percentage of tax all the way around...and for that matter, ALL of the kids in public school are on "scholarship"......they get to play whether their parents contribute one dime to the tax system or not....they just have to be zoned to a particular school......How many of the teams also playing in the 2008 Herbstreit Classic are public schools from other states????? The answer is ALOT. Go through the schools yourself, because I will not waste my time trying to convince you of anything. You are like talking (posting) to a brick wall. This is the opportunity for a HS football team to be ambassadors of their area to go to other places.

FBE.....it is very much about sports.....sports is very parallel to life. Ya know....scoring the right job....house....marrying the right wife.....life is competition and preparation.

FBE...again, another stretch of story......here is an article about the 2007 Herbsreit Classic that states: Event director Josh Johnston of CJC Sports estimates it'll cost $45,000 to lodge, feed and transport the non-Ohio teams. "We'll pay the bills through sponsorship and ticket sales," he says......sooooo....it doesn't sound like money is coming from the taxpayers pockets ater all....does it? Ya see a team playing in this gets HUGE exposure for their program AND players..it allows the players to showcase their talents in front of millions as well as college recruiters..all games are shown on ESPN 360, ESPN U, The NFL Network, and streamcasted for $17.95 a day on line.....tickets are $15 PER GAME......MAJOR MONEY MAKER!!!!...

Here is a story from The Washington Post about the significant impact the Herbstreit Classic has on Ohio football.......also.....here are the comments from a coach that is bringing a team.....

Given the chance to play St. Xavier to open this season, DeMatha Coach Bill McGregor said there was no hesitation. Event organizers will pay for 75 plane tickets, bus transportation, meals and 27 hotel rooms for the team's traveling party plus $5,000 for the school, McGregor said. The payout will be used to bus 21 more players, chaperoned by coaches, to Cincinnati.

"I don't see how anybody who is offered a trip like that can turn it down," McGregor said.

Again......FBEMeritus.....you and the rest of you guys that are anti anything that would mess up your record at Maryville need to get a bigger picture about where HS sports are going.

I now have one question.......as long as Maryville has been in the USA Today Top25.........have they ever been invited to the Herbstreit Classic? It appears that the teams they choose come pretty much from the USA Today Top 25.....or....would Maryville turn down an opportunity of a lifetime like this for their team, community and kids???? REMEMBER....the trip is paid for and Maryville would make $5,000....Please....we would like YOUR answer to the question. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Yeah.......the lowly taxpayers....I pay my share as well..just like you....as a matter of fact...the "rich" people you talk about pay a higher percentage of tax all the way around...How many of the teams also playing in the 2008 Herbstreit Classic are public schools from other states????? The answer is ALOT. Go through the schools yourself, because I will not waste my time trying to convince you of anything. You are like talking (posting) to a brick wall. This is the opportunity for a HS football team to be ambassadors of their area to go to other places.

FBE.....it is very much about sports.....sports is very parallel to life. Ya know....scoring the right job....house....marrying the right wife.....life is competition and preparation.

FBE...again, another stretch of story......here is an article about the 2007 Herbsreit Classic that states: Event director Josh Johnston of CJC Sports estimates it'll cost $45,000 to lodge, feed and transport the non-Ohio teams. "We'll pay the bills through sponsorship and ticket sales," he says......sooooo....it doesn't sound like money is coming from the taxpayers pockets ater all....does it? Ya see a team playing in this gets HUGE exposure for their program AND players..it allows the players to showcase their talents in front of millions as well as college recruiters..all games are shown on ESPN 360, ESPN U, The NFL Network, and streamcasted for $17.95 a day on line.....tickets are $15 PER GAME......MAJOR MONEY MAKER!!!!...

Here is a story from The Washington Post about the significant impact the Herbstreit Classic has on Ohio football.......also.....here are the comments from a coach that is bringing a team.....

Given the chance to play St. Xavier to open this season, DeMatha Coach Bill McGregor said there was no hesitation. Event organizers will pay for 75 plane tickets, bus transportation, meals and 27 hotel rooms for the team's traveling party plus $5,000 for the school, McGregor said. The payout will be used to bus 21 more players, chaperoned by coaches, to Cincinnati.

"I don't see how anybody who is offered a trip like that can turn it down," McGregor said.

Again......FBEMeritus.....you and the rest of you guys that are anti anything that would mess up your record at Maryville need to get a bigger picture about where HS sports are going.

I now have one question.......as long as Maryville has been in the USA Today Top25.........have they ever been invited to the Herbstreit Classic? It appears that the teams they choose come pretty much from the USA Today Top 25.....or....would Maryville turn down an opportunity of a lifetime like this for their team, community and kids???? REMEMBER....the trip is paid for and maryville would make $5,000....Please....we would like YOUR answer to the question. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

A lot of your posts are meant to tweak the Rebel fans, I think. This is definitely one of your best posts. I hope the answer to your question is as thoughtful as the post.

I honestly would rather them be the team to do this other than any other school in the state if one is going to.

I just wonder why big bad BA isn't doing it first.

Good luck to MBA.

MBA is going to represent TN. No need for BA to go. Nice of you to think of us, though.

I honestly would rather them be the team to do this other than any other school in the state if one is going to.

I just wonder why big bad BA isn't doing it first.

Good luck to MBA.

Actually.....Solomon....BA DID go to Ohio's kickoff Classic (back then, it wasn't the Herbstreit Classic, of course...).......1990....BA played Lasalle, OH. BA lost 10-0. Back then.....the whole classic was less than 8 teams nationally.......of the 8, 4 came from OH.....only 4 spots for the whole country..that was a bad year for BA......record was 8-4......

We Also play Cincinatti St. Xavier in 2002 when our team went 9-3. We lost that one 21-20.......but shouldn't have.....

So, yes......BA has mixed it up with the Cincinatti schools over the years.

There is no doubt that MBA should be down next season. When you loose 2 SEC players plus a few more that will sign with smaller institutions it's difficult to replace those players but MBA will work hard and continue to have a solid program. I am wondering why they didn't invite Ensworth (they should be loaded next season) but if they are looking for teams that have a long history what better school to invite than MBA. Like Coach Bowers stated last Friday evening, MBA has had 1002 games to get ready and Ensworth has had 6 varsity games.

Congratulations to Montgomery Bell Academy on accepting the invitation and best of luck in Ohio.

Why would you ever invite Ensworth to this 2 years into the program? They will be no better than they are now even with 1000 games behind their program... I dont know if anybody knows the school but they have a whole 60 boys to choose from in each grade... the numbers just dont add up... you can never be sold all around the field with that small of a field. Tavarres is a decent back who can break some big plays, #10 is not a good back. He couldnt break a run longer than 2 yards vs MBA. Sorry for all the hype about the EHS backs they just werent that great. T is still a good back and will pretty hard to stop next year... dunno if I say the same about #10.

I hope this isn't some made up article that flops.

I think they were looking for the more established programs, not the "Johnny (or Carlton) come latelies." I mean, anybody can be good for 35 years, it's the long haul that counts.

(just for you, USA1)

We failed in 1990 and again a few years ago when we lost 21-20 to Cincy Xavier by missing an extra point. It's time to give the established program a whack at it. You guys always seem to do well when you head north.

It will be strange not to be dependent on your MBA score updates via my PDA this week.

We failed in 1990 and again a few years ago when we lost 21-20 to Cincy Xavier by missing an extra point. It's time to give the established program a whack at it. You guys always seem to do well when you head north.

It will be strange not to be dependent on your MBA score updates via my PDA this week.

I'm assuming you'll be at the game...wish I could be as well. With a little luck, you'll miss my updates for the Ryan game as well; I'll be in Nashville, and hope to get to the game.

There is no doubt that MBA should be down next season. When you loose 2 SEC players plus a few more that will sign with smaller institutions it's difficult to replace those players but MBA will work hard and continue to have a solid program. I am wondering why they didn't invite Ensworth (they should be loaded next season) but if they are looking for teams that have a long history what better school to invite than MBA. Like Coach Bowers stated last Friday evening, MBA has had 1002 games to get ready and Ensworth has had 6 varsity games.

Congratulations to Montgomery Bell Academy on accepting the invitation and best of luck in Ohio.

The 2007 MBA team has played the exact same number of games as the 2007 EHS team: 6. While MBA's storied past is impressive and it plays an important role in the traditions of the school and its football program, it isn't relevant in the discussion of the 2007 game. I could even argue that the EHS team that played last Friday was more experienced. Those kids have been playing together for 3 years now. They have several game tested and experienced players. MBA does have players with game experience, but it also has several players who do not play until they are seniors. Bowers also has nearly ten years more coaching experience than McGugin. Based on the previous observations, one could conclude that EHS was the more seasoned team.

History and experience can be spun to benefit either team, but before the game, EHS was claiming that youth would not be a factor in the game. I think a lot of Ricky and his coaching staff and respect them both as coaches and as men, but I thought his comment in the paper made him sound like the cry baby on the MBA homecoming t-shirt.