Montgomery Bell Academy in 2008 Herbstreit Classic in Cincinnati, OH?

WarriorFan

The 2007 MBA team has played the exact same number of games as the 2007 EHS team: 6. While MBA's storied past is impressive and it plays an important role in the traditions of the school and its football program, it isn't relevant in the discussion of the 2007 game. I could even argue that the EHS team that played last Friday was more experienced. Those kids have been playing together for 3 years now. They have several game tested and experienced players. MBA does have players with game experience, but it also has several players who do not play until they are seniors. Bowers also has nearly ten years more coaching experience than McGugin. Based on the previous observations, one could conclude that EHS was the more seasoned team.

History and experience can be spun to benefit either team, but before the game, EHS was claiming that youth would not be a factor in the game. I think a lot of Ricky and his coaching staff and respect them both as coaches and as men, but I thought his comment in the paper made him sound like the cry baby on the MBA homecoming t-shirt.

The Big Red & McGugin will have numerous opportunities to spank "LITTLE RICKY" in the future. IMO, this is going to become a mean spirited and ugly rivalary.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

History and experience can be spun to benefit either team, but before the game, EHS was claiming that youth would not be a factor in the game. I think a lot of Ricky and his coaching staff and respect them both as coaches and as men, but I thought his comment in the paper made him sound like the cry baby on the MBA homecoming t-shirt.

I was honestly embarassed for him when I read that...he's a class act normally but that was pathetic.

Interesting how many discussions of MBA football come back to Bowers and Ensworth. MBA has a great history and a bright future in athletics. This obsession with Bowers is odd. Seems strange that MBA supporters would want to take attention away from their own program and a fairly prestigious invite to talk about another school.

Interesting how many discussions of MBA football come back to Bowers and Ensworth. MBA has a great history and a bright future in athletics. This obsession with Bowers is odd. Seems strange that MBA supporters would want to take attention away from their own program and a fairly prestigious invite to talk about another school.

Does talking about a game that is roughly 115 hours old really qualify as "obsession?"

The Big Red & McGugin will have numerous opportunities to spank "LITTLE RICKY" in the future. IMO, this is going to become a mean spirited and ugly rivalary.

I agree with you, and I hate that it seems to be heading in that direction. I really enjoyed playing for the coaches at EHS who were previously at MBA, and they played a large role in developing me into a young man. Like I previously stated, I've got a lot of respect for them. Likewise, I would assume that they have fond memories of their time on the hill, particularly Ricky since he was both a coach and a student. It would be a shame if all parties could not continue with some kind of amicable relationships.

I still contend that this shouldn't even be considered a rivalry. Ensworth was a middle school that MBA beat in everything but wrestling on an annual basis. It's proximity to MBA, as well as the fact that it fed into MBA made it a rivalry for the microbes. Now, EHS is a school on an opposite end of town that may get a few kids who would have gone to MBA. Other than the coaching staff and the brand name, I don't really see a strong connection between the two high school programs.

I agree with you, and I hate that it seems to be heading in that direction. I really enjoyed playing for the coaches at EHS who were previously at MBA, and they played a large role in developing me into a young man. Like I previously stated, I've got a lot of respect for them. Likewise, I would assume that they have fond memories of their time on the hill, particularly Ricky since he was both a coach and a student. It would be a shame if all parties could not continue with some kind of amicable relationships.

I still contend that this shouldn't even be considered a rivalry. Ensworth was a middle school that MBA beat in everything but wrestling on an annual basis. It's proximity to MBA, as well as the fact that it fed into MBA made it a rivalry for the microbes. Now, EHS is a school on an opposite end of town that may get a few kids who would have gone to MBA. Other than the coaching staff and the brand name, I don't really see a strong connection between the two high school programs.

If Ensworth had opened in the mid '70's or '80's, they would have probably had a significant impact on MBA. As it is, in the intervening years, middle Tenn. has grown a lot, and lot more people are sending their kids into Nashville from "long distance". In my day, the 6-7 of us from the Goodlettsville area were foreigners. Now they have kids coming in from Clarksville. There are more than enough kids that MBA, BA, and Ensworth will all be well stocked.

I like Ricky, I played microbe and freshman football with him, and had some pleasant correspondence with him while he was coaching at MBA. His remarks in the Tennessean after the game weren't his best moments. He handled the press much better after the loss to Ryan in the Div II State Championship.

If this IS true.....I just found out why MBA is going to the Herbstreit Classic......THEY HAVE A WINNING RECORD AGAINST TRINITY (KY)! Read this story and you will understand......this is from the Jackson Sun in Jackson TN.......if you cannot read it here it is :

Football

A football game with 37,558 in attendance would usually have two colleges involved.

However, the game Jackson's Alan Sallee Sr . and Dan O'Brien attended last Friday was a high school game in Louisville, Ky.

The two private Louisville high schools involved - St. Xavier and Trinity - played at the University of Louisville's Papa John Cardinal Stadium. St. Xavier recently opened a new 6,200-seat football stadium on the school's campus, but it was too small to handle Friday's crowd.

"The game is played (annually) before the largest crowd in the nation for a high school football game," Sallee said. "The atmosphere is great with tailgating before the game that resembles college tailgating, people barbecuing ... It's an event."

More than one-third of a million dollars can be generated in ticket sales for the game.

"Tickets are $10, and people don't come because it's cheap," Sallee said. "They come because it's an event. They would sell the same number of tickets if they were $25 each."

Sallee, a 1956 graduate of St. Xavier, said when he attended the school his tuition was $72 a year.

Today, tuition is $9,700 per year for each of the 1,400 students enrolled, he said.

"It's a factory," Sallee said of St. X., which opened in 1864 when the Xaverian Brothers started the high school. "They have a new football stadium, baseball and basketball facilities ... an incredible situation."

This shows the insight of MBA several years ago when they scheduled the game.......by the way St X in KY is different than St. X in OH.....but very close to the border with GREAT teams.....

It sounds like all the teams are verbally committed at this time. I doubt the contracts have been sent out yet.

Just curious...who will MBA drop next year to pick up this game?

Haven't talked with you a while....years.....interesting game for MBA isn't it? MBA is taking it to a new level going to this game......of course....they aren't scared of anyone...they have shown that in the last few years.....

Haven't talked with you a while....years.....interesting game for MBA isn't it? MBA is taking it to a new level going to this game......of course....they aren't scared of anyone...they have shown that in the last few years.....

Yeah...I think it's an honor for any Tennessee team to be invited to play. MBA does have a very good rep outside the state. Their wins over Trinity...especially the win over Brohm got national attention. On the other hand...the pasting they got from Byrnes did too. No...they are not afraid to play anyone.

The best part of this whole deal is the payment of their expenses. I would think they will have to pay whomever they drop next year to get out of that game. That's one thing to consider. I'm sure that won't cost too much.

I don't frequent this board too much these days. I usually stay on the 1a-2a-3a board.