Temple's response to TSSAA

zonepirate

. . . My comments regarding Carter's ties to Friendship were based upon what I consider to be reliable information, but if I find out differnt, I will be the first one on this board to set the record straight . . .

Ronnie has a son, Jim, who now coaches at Davidson Academy. Is that the tie you are talking about? He has also coached at Hunters Lane in Nashville and Jackson Christian, I think.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tune in to 89.7 Tuesday at 5:00pm if you want to hear Temple's side of things. The pastor, principal, athletic director, and possibly someone from TSSAA will be discussing the situation. I don't think they're crazy enough to take calls, but I hope they will. (I better warn them to screen all SPitt callers.) /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

And if you are outside the area or away from the radio but have internet access you can listen at www.wdyn.com

IMO, Temple should drop the issue, pay the fine and move on. If they had done nothing wrong I could see continuing to stir the pot, but that is not the case here. It doesn't matter if the guy caught the winning touchdown or downed the ball. If he was ineligible they forfeit the game. It's tough, but like everyone has said here other than the $4k fine, there is no real punishment.

Are this booster's pockets deep enough to build a football field? /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Good post. Even the private school supporters don't think the penality was excessive. The only ones complaining about the severity of the penalties are a very few Temple supporters. Even most of the Temple folks are fine, even happy, with the the way it turned out. I have even seen other private school supporters complain that based on precedent (McCallie a few years back) that Temple got off light. Even Temple's AD and head Coach Markham was happy that Temple didn't get hit harder. So why are you so up in arms oldschool?

oldschool54, I'm not sure what your agenda is but all of us "oldschool" CoachTer's can see there is more to your posts than just some bystander....we just don't buy it. So you are an attorney....maybe you are the $$$$$ man at Temple wanting to change the conversation away from Temple....you know there are rocks that were left unturned /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=" . Makes you go hmmmmm /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

You have mentioned several times Ronnie Carter's ties to Friendship...tell us what they are. I have never heard that. I think public schools would have been up in arms if this was true. You also mention intent....Temple has their version of what they intended but it is only based on what the Temple Admin says they were doing, not on hard evidence. So how do you know just hwat thier real intent was. You can't know jsut like the TSSAA can't know. Just like the mystery phone call to the TSSAA....no way to prove or disprove...very convenient. The jails are full of so called "innocent" people.

With all this said I am glad the present bunch of Temple football players will get to play. They have worked hard under much adversity. A 2 year post season ban for football is no real punishment at all but at least the kids get this monkey off of their back. Other than $4,000+ in fines temple got no real punishment at all. Be happy...it could have been much, much worse.

zonepirate: I came home and started rereading some of my posts from earlier (as a widower with grown kids I don't have much else to do) and I was struck by one thing. You and the "old school Coach T'ers" don't buy my lack of affiliation with Temple. I thought this was a forum for intelligent fans to discuss issues as related to high school sports. I have done nothing to offend you, yet you have called me a liar. I guess since I am not a "good ole boy" from this area, I can't have a different opinion. I adopted the Temple case and wanted to discuss it because I thought of it as an injustice. I guess these message boards really don't want a divergence of opinion or a free discussion. Don't worry! I won't clutter your board with any other posts.

zonepirate: I came home and started rereading some of my posts from earlier (as a widower with grown kids I don't have much else to do) and I was struck by one thing. You and the "old school Coach T'ers" don't buy my lack of affiliation with Temple. I thought this was a forum for intelligent fans to discuss issues as related to high school sports. I have done nothing to offend you, yet you have called me a liar. I guess since I am not a "good ole boy" from this area, I can't have a different opinion. I adopted the Temple case and wanted to discuss it because I thought of it as an injustice. I guess these message boards really don't want a divergence of opinion or a free discussion. Don't worry! I won't clutter your board with any other posts.

If you take what's posted on a message board to heart it's probably best to take up shuffleboard or something. If you want to discuss that's fine but you came out in full attack mode on Carter and Hargis and anybody who posted a different opinion. You also were attacking SP. Sure doesn't sound like a simple bystander if that's what you actually are. Discuss if you want and leave if you want...life goes on.

What about the issue with Larson? That was the old adminstration. Did they make a call as well? Sounds like he practiced while a student at SE Whitfield.

It was the old admin as well. As far as I know no call was claimed, just they didn't know better.

I just came in and saw your post. I receive your critique in the spirit I believe it was intended. I will not show you my financial records, but I can assure you I have never given any money to Temple. My comments regarding Carter's ties to Friendship were based upon what I consider to be reliable information, but if I find out differnt, I will be the first one on this board to set the record straight. I am also glad this current group of Temple players will get to play. I guess my real issue is with the dictatorial powers TSSAA seems to enjoy. A few years ago, the GHSA tried the same type of tactics and the Georgia Legislature stepped in and fixed the problem. I have sort of adopted Temple as my "pet" cause because I have an issue with persons in authority overstepping their boundaries. That's my agenda. I am of the opinion (something we all have) that TSSAA wanted to make an example of Temple and its supporters who fought for what they believe, for whatever reason. I reiterate that I don't have a connection to Temple, and have unofficial adopted SP as "my" team because I like the way they blend an "old school" rushing attack and strong defense with a more modern passing game. Thanks again for the feedback.

You made the claim several times that Ronnie Carter has ties to FC yet you still have offered no evidence to back it up and you attacked him on that basis. You also attacked Stephen Hargis as being biased without any supporting evidence. I have no problem looking at your side of the issue if you can add a few facts even if you can't divulge sources. I have the same issue with the TSSAA on some subjects but all schools are voluntary members. If you really knew more about some of the Temple issues you would see that they got off light and where in no way a sacrificial lamb

We are glad to have you as a Pirate fan. You going to be at the game Friday? I would just keep the SP recruits accusations to a minimum if you want to make it out with your skin /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

And if you are outside the area or away from the radio but have internet access you can listen at www.wdyn.com

IMO, Temple should drop the issue, pay the fine and move on. If they had done nothing wrong I could see continuing to stir the pot, but that is not the case here. It doesn't matter if the guy caught the winning touchdown or downed the ball. If he was ineligible they forfeit the game. It's tough, but like everyone has said here other than the $4k fine, there is no real punishment.

Are this booster's pockets deep enough to build a football field? /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

I won't be able to listen. How about taking some notes and posting a summary. I would like to hear their side. Surely you don't think they would screen a call from "zonepirate". They should have invited me to be on with them.

Must not be that deep /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Zonepirate: One other thing: I did some free legal work in Georgia several years ago for a small public school that was being stomped upon by the GHSA with lead boots over some minor infraction issues. I guess this thing with Temple sort of brought our the avenging angel in me for the little guy. My oldschool identity comes from the fact that I played on Warner Robins (GA) 1976 GHSA 4A state and national championship team and we did it like SP (run the ball and play great defense). I enjoy chatting with people who understand the game and issues, not just partison fans should and do stand by their schools.

Well don't let this little tiff run you off. This Temple thing will pass and playoffs are right down the road.

i also like hargis as a sports reporter. he seems to do a good job covering high school sports. i have had some objections to some quotes he's used in the past to report on BBS games, but i think he does a fine job overall. you have to consider that so much personal emotional baggage is attatched to high school sports. any high school team fan may not appreciate the coverage they recieve for a situation such as this. however, it is news worthy. if this happened to any other school (especially a private one), you could expect the same reporting.

i have just skimmed the various articles in the TFP. are there any specific quotes that would suggest Hargis is unfair in his reporting of this situation?

I don't think anyone can come up with anything that he wrote that wasn't the truth. He talked to the Temple people before he wrote each of the articles to get their side. Just because he wouldn't kill or water down the stories and he was asking hard to answer questions he was out to get them. I don't agree with everything he writes but I just don't see him as biased in his reporting

Temple beat SPitt fair and square last year OP. Quit whining and enjoy you're winning season. If Silverdale beats you next week take it like a man.

The "old Pirate" is the man. If you think Silverdale has a chance to beat South Pitt your wrong for sure. The Sea-Hawks will be looking for land after the Pirate beating. The only fine South Pitt gets is for cruelty to animals. Seen you guys play. South Pitt's 2's will be in the game early and the clock will be running.

If you take what's posted on a message board to heart it's probably best to take up shuffleboard or something. If you want to discuss that's fine but you came out in full attack mode on Carter and Hargis and anybody who posted a different opinion. You also were attacking SP. Sure doesn't sound like a simple bystander if that's what you actually are. Discuss if you want and leave if you want...life goes on.

It was the old admin as well. As far as I know no call was claimed, just they didn't know better.

I never was any good at shuffleboard. I think I probably owe you an apology, because of a rough day at the office. I wanted to debate, and I still think Hargis needs some work, but I can certainly accept differing views. I don't recall attacking SP, except to say I have heard allegations of recruiting. Trust me, I am from a small town and have better sense than to make any comments at the game Friday. Life does go on and I probably know that better than you. I am looking forward to seeing the Pirates add another label to the sign on the edge of town.