Grundy County Coach Chris Pickett passes away

CoachT

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am shocked and saddened by this news. When the shock wears off can somebody share

what happened ?

I met Chris many moons ago when he came to our local bowl game in Lewisburg. Believe it

or not he came to Lewisburg to pick up tickets, sign the contract,etc,etc, & right in the middle of

that, he had to stop & change Cory's diaper !! That's how long ago it was.

I liked the guy right off the bat. That big old smile, booming laugh, and just good old boy talk

told you right quick this was a really good guy. Grundy County quickly became one of my favorite

"other" teams.

A few years back at a middle school basketball game I look up & to my amazement Chris was a

referee. I had so much fun heckling him & when he finally saw who was giving him a hard time there

was that big smile. He came over & sat a spell at halftime & we laughed at those memories from years

before. That's the last time I saw him in person & I kick myself for not having made contact lately during his

recent illness.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and all his Grundy County buddies who he thought the

world of. High school sports lost a good guy today.

I don't really know what to say or do. I was in a meeting in Nashville this morning when I found out. Then I get another call telling me that basketball coach Kasey Woodlee's grandfather was killed in a car wreck this morning as well. It was her father Leon's dad Leonard "Hill" Woodlee.

I left Nashville right away and have spent a lot of the day with Joyce and Cory and spent a lot of the day talking with media.

I'm so sad. I'm sick. I'm in disbelief. I'm angry. And I'm even madder and more resentful against every single person that had anything to do with Chris leaving Grundy 11 years ago. Ted Ladd and I were talking late today and he said Pic coming home was going to give us a chance to heal had everything gone well. Instead it hasn't and I feel even more robbed of 10 years with my friend.

But I know I can't dwell on that right now.

I'm trying to find some things to smile about. There's at least 2 I can think of. From the moment Chris stopped breathing early this morning he's been hugging Hannah. He may hug her for the next 11 years just to make up for lost time. The other is that while he's hugging her he's also talking football and baseball non-stop with the late James "Duper" Ladd.

I don't want my friend to be gone. I can't even stand the thought. Football hasn't been the same for me while he was gone and now it will never be the same for me again.

David Lowrie.

I did not know Coach Pickett or Mr. Woodlee personally, but I met many good people working with the Grundy teachers the last three years. I am deeply sorry for your pain and loss. I know the community is strong and most are grounded by a strong faith in God. Those two families will need that faith and love to get through these tragedies and I know that you will all get through it together. Prayers from Elizabethton and may God bless you all.

I didn't know Coach Pickett, but this hits very close to home for me personally. I am a cancer survivor and the son of a Coach. I can't imagine how his son and family are feeling. My heartfelt condolences and prayers go out to the family and the entire community. May the peace and grace of The Lord Jesus Christ be with them all.

There is a scholarship fund being set up in honor of Chris. His wife, Joyce, is asking everyone to please consider donating to the scholarship fund instead of flowers.

Chris Pickett Scholarship Fund

c/o Lee M. McFarland

Mountain Valley Bank

P.O. Box 1329

Monteagle TN 37356

931-924-0070

The intent will be that the scholarship will benefit a football or baseball player at GCHS and may be linked to a most improved academic status.

The committee will be formed soon with some of Chris's friends acting as "board" members.

This will be a great way to honor and remember Chris for years to come.

I'm asking the CoachT family to please make any and all donations to this fund. There's not going to be enough room for all the people at the funeral...much less the flowers. Please spread the word to all the CoachT family.

David Lowrie.

Prayers from Huntland. We enjoyed competing against his teams and his son who like him were class acts and we also enjoyed having him as a baseball umpire. My heart goes out to his family(including his beloved dog that my child loved to pet at the games) and his many, many friends. My prayer is for God to pour out his blessings and to hold you close now and in the days to come.