Reg 2 Dist. 4 A

catmommy

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oldschool,

You are an idiot! How do you know what jason knows or doesn't! It was a scrimmage against a better team and the girls played very well! Why don't you go up to coach davis and tell him man to man that you think he doesn't know basketball and cant teach any kind of defense!

I guarntee you it would be a good sight for those in attendance. Please wait until the first home game so we can all be there to see him tell you how it is! But lets not talk about it until you've seen it with your own eyes!

The team was working on their fastbreak and transition defense. He also played alot of kids. I am fairly certain they played it close to the vest considering the number of non bulldog members of the audience!

I like the idea of a all-star game. The thing is TSSAA requires the participants to have exhausted their eligibility. so it would be only seniors, which probably would be a good thing. I think it would be close if not favor Morgan Co on the girls side, and probably always a blowout victory for Roane Co on the boys side.

I could see that happening this season, and in my mind KC is going to absolutely school AJ. You should not even put them in the same sentence right now because AJ is NOT on Christopher's level right now. She really has a long way to go. Want prove....how many Middle School titles is AJ responsible for? Christopher has one for every year except 6th grade, and I'm not even certain they didn't win it that year too! AJ.....still waiting? I'm not convinced that AJ won't be a great player eventually (her high school coach can help if she pays attention), but she isn't there at this point. The only thing she has on Christopher right now is FOUR YEARS!

Kazzy /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Referring to the wartburg/york scrimmage, i watched a little bit of it and while the final score was only an 11 point deficit and given wartburg played everybody and their sister, it wasnt even close in my opinion. No offensive sets from what i saw, a zone defense that just watched 3 pointer after 3 pointer uncontested. Dont get me wrong, i think wartburg has potential but unless they learn to play a different defense that will work they wont get very far. Now they did play a little press there at the end but york sliced through it without even passing. Now given i only watched maybe 20 minutes, but from what i saw wartburg has a long way to go.

Now as far as the rest of the district goes this is how i see it.

1. Oliver Springs- They are tops of the district til someone knocks them off their pedestal. Christopher is one of the best players i've ever seen and by far the best player in the district and one of the best in the state for that matter. If they find a post game to replace what they lost then it will be a repeat of last year come tournament time.

2. Oakdale- If Oliver Springs wasn't in the district Oakdale would be the clear favorite, but they are a little under Oliver Springs in my opinion, but I look for them to challenge Oliver Springs for first place and it wouldnt be crazy to say that the two teams might split the regular season series. Odell should dominate the district when it comes to the post, but it will come down to whether the guards can help out to decide if they beat out OZ.

3. Oneida- They return some good players and from what i hear they have added some good young talent. They could challenge for a top 2 spot but i think they are still a year away.

4. Wartburg- ok i know i just got done saying wartburg will struggle if they dont learn defense, but wartburg has the talent to compete if they learn some defense and learn to play together. Will they challenge for the district? NO. Will they challenge for region? Not a chance. But they do have the talent and potential to surprise some people, i just dont think they have the chemistry to beat OZ or Oakdale. The new coach will have trouble following in the "big" Davis's footsteps. And it will take a while for the players to catch on to his style (which from what i saw was, let the other team shoot and hope it doesnt go in) but if he adapt his style to the players they could have a decent season.

5/6 Coalfield/Sunbright- This really is a toss up, both teams are really young, dont really know much about coalfield, but i know sunbright has a new coach and are having to replace 4 good players that they lost from last years team. Both teams have potential but will struggle in the competitive district.

I think that O'dell will dominate to the point that Oakdale will beat O.S. due to the foul trouble and the rebounding that O'dell brings to the table.

Oakdale should be on top and I've been saying that for sometime now!

I like your observation about wartburg. Except something didn't set well with me following their scrimmage the other day. I have never seen a team that Jason coached play poor defense and everyone is telling me that their scrimmage had weak defense. Now I don't like his coaching but his teams usually did play good zone defense for middle school.

I'm just playing a feeling here but I am betting that we didn't see much of the things this team will use in the regular season. A close friend of mine told me that they just ran Dallas Davis's defense and Offense. Now. I heard they ran all kinds of sets, presses, and half court traps over the summer. So, I'm not sure we weren't played by the coach to lower expectations and get everyone talking about their match-up zone. The district had better be ready to see all kinds of things from the Wartburg team. And I'm talking from experience here, don't get stunk in to thinking you can predict what they will be running.

Didn't Wartburg finish 4th last year in the regular season with basically the same players? If they make it to the region that's all that should be expected.

Oakdale and O.S. are the cream of the District and all the rest are playing for third place anyway.

O'Dell is foul trouble. I think it is reasonable to assume most teams will go right at her to get her in foul trouble. A team like OS is going to be able to send multiple players at her, which isn't going to keep her in the game. At the helm you've got Fred Snow, certainly the dean of coaches in this league, but has he added any new tricks to his squad or will it be the same show different year. He is a good coach, but once you've learned what he likes to do you can usually defend his teams.

There isn't anything wrong with the coach at Wartburg. What ends up being wrong is the perception that he is weak on his X's and O's. Bah.....just a bunch of naysayers that have never had to drive the "cadilliac" in a real situation. By the way, Jr. Pro ain't even close to the same thing. Look for Jason to learn and get better as he goes and his players will follow if they are smart. One of the greatest comments I ever heard about Dallas was that his kids would really play for him. If that still holds true for Jason, Wartburg will be fine.

SDO, Oliver Springs is the cream of the district.....Oakdale has some work to do to catch up! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Kaz

SDO,

I had not thought about it until you pointed it out but the team did things exactly the same way I remember them last year. It did appear that they were in a match-up defense and they ran that cutting offense from last year also.

I guess we will have to wait until next week to really see what this team is able to do.

But I'll have to say the girls really didn't play very hard in the scrimmage. Of course they did as some say play everyone and their sister.

Just a thought though the smaller posts looked pretty good for Wartburg on the Offensive end of things I'm always looking to find the positive side of things for things

I had heard that one of the posts had close to 20 points so they must have played well. Too bad for wartburg they didn't get more of that.

Kaz,

What do you base your idea that Coach Davis understands X's and O's? Just curious.

This weekend will tell us how the district stacks up as Oakdale plays Clarkrange!

Lady Eagles State Bound!!!

Hey SuperDave! In my opinion it's a little too early to be counting anyone in or out in 4-A much at this point of the season is up to the imagination /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" /> .

I think you'll know more about things a little closer to christmas. Picking teams this early is a bit of a crap shoot so I'ld prefer to let it all work itself out. I can honestly say I agree with you about O.S. being the cream of the District but neither of the two top teams appear invincible to me /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I'm not feeling that this weekends game between CRange and Oakdale will be a super big indicator. It's early in the season and I'm sure that both teams will change a great deal as the year goes. /happy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="^_^" border="0" alt="happy.gif" />

I do know that the district will be a great one to watch for the fans /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Bigdave Out! /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

SDO, you ask such easy questions.

Why, in God's green Earth, would anyone apply for a position that they knew nothing about. I mean if you go to school to be a nurse, I'm pretty sure they give you the nessessary tools to do so. If you apprentice with a Blacksmith, it stands to reason your gonna be shoeing horses for a living. Jason probably went to school to be an educator, but I'm sure the coaching bug caught him at some point. You don't just go into anything without accumulating knowledge. I think thats probably the process he is in now. Is he a basketball genius? I guess time will tell, but I'd be willing to bet he would be the first to tell you he has a way to go. So he's not your picture of a great basketball coach, doesn't mean he can't become one. Sometimes pictures take a little while to develop. If you really don't like what he is doing.....go to school and apply for his job! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> I mean you seem to have all the answers!

Kaz /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />