Lewis County playoffs

radio33

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know much about the Z plan, but it sounds better for Lewis County than Sharp thinks. I cant wait until saturday to see how everything falls into place. The talent of Lewis Co is not the question that to be asked, but the play calling and preperation for the 2nd and maybe 3rd round or farther opponents will be what decides the outcome of those games. This is one of the best defenses that Lewis County has had overall in a while, Hickman County wouldnt have even scored if a punt wouldnt have been fumbled inside of the 10 yard line. But it will be interesting to see what happens for them. Plus they need to feed #27 the ball when it gets crunch time.

[

2 History would say they won't get past the 2nd round, but that's in the old plan. I think you have to wait until you see a bracket and potential matchups before you can make a prediction like that.

I respect your opinion and we usually agree on a lot of things on this board. With that being said, I get tired of hearing about LC not making it past the 2nd round because of history. I don't think History has anything to do with it. I understand that you are judged by what you are doing at the present. The facts show that LC has advanced past the 2nd round 6 times and 2 of those times we were beaten by the state champions (G'pasture & D'lipscomb). DL was clearly the better team, but GP was a 17-14 defeat that could have went either way. My point is that if you are a rual school who plays with the talent that you grow then you must keep knocking on the door until you have everything fall into place to open it. When you don't just "out talent" everyone certain things must fall into place, once you make it to the playoffs, in order to advance into the later rounds. Going by the analogy that you're on an inevitable course to repeat history year in and year out, Harpeth would never win again because their recent history (2004-06) they only won 2 games in 3 years. Now we both know that is not the case and teams can do better or worst then in years past depending on there circumstances during that period of time. Before Livingston Aca. won it all in 2005 they had only been to the 3rd round twice. You probably didn't ment this statement the way it sounds, but we hear this statement all the time and it gets old. We have a good FB program that overachieves much more than it underachieves.

Lewis County lost to another State Champion in the 3rd round in 2003. Huntingdon 35 - 6.

[

2 History would say they won't get past the 2nd round, but that's in the old plan. I think you have to wait until you see a bracket and potential matchups before you can make a prediction like that.

I respect your opinion and we usually agree on a lot of things on this board. With that being said, I get tired of hearing about LC not making it past the 2nd round because of history. I don't think History has anything to do with it. I understand that you are judged by what you are doing at the present. The facts show that LC has advanced past the 2nd round 6 times and 2 of those times we were beaten by the state champions (G'pasture & D'lipscomb). DL was clearly the better team, but GP was a 17-14 defeat that could have went either way. My point is that if you are a rual school who plays with the talent that you grow then you must keep knocking on the door until you have everything fall into place to open it. When you don't just "out talent" everyone certain things must fall into place, once you make it to the playoffs, in order to advance into the later rounds. Going by the analogy that you're on an inevitable course to repeat history year in and year out, Harpeth would never win again because their recent history (2004-06) they only won 2 games in 3 years. Now we both know that is not the case and teams can do better or worst then in years past depending on there circumstances during that period of time. Before Livingston Aca. won it all in 2005 they had only been to the 3rd round twice. You probably didn't ment this statement the way it sounds, but we hear this statement all the time and it gets old. We have a good FB program that overachieves much more than it underachieves.

Hence the, 'I think you have to see a bracket and potential matchups before you can make a prediction like that.' What are the 2 things that the 2 state champions that put Lewis County out of the playoffs have in common? How many Gold Balls has Lewis County won versus the amount that private schools and open zoned publics have won? Historically, when does Lewis County face those sort of teams?

You're reading into my post what you want to read. I think the Z Plan favors Lewis County to potentially go deeper into the playoffs because there's a better chance that they won't face a private school in round one or two. Private schools have won most of the 2A championships in the past 10 years. When region 6 faces region 5, it's a pretty good bet that Lewis County will face a private school with a state championship on it's resume'. I'd say the same about Harpeth. I like the Z Plan long term if the rural publics are going to have to play privates and open zoned publics in the playoffs because it gives the rural regions that are adjacent to the private region a chance, every now and then, to play someone besides the state champion in rounds one and two.

You get tired of hearing about history, but historically...........what has happened? How many Gold Balls does Lewis County have? Who did they lose them to? Three points is the same as 30 when you're on the losing end of it. I don't necessarily like the current setup, but the Z Plan is an improvement for Region 6.

One thing about it is you're NEVER going to hear me argue for the privates. The fact is we have only been put out of the playoffs by privates 2 of the last 10 years. Most of those years we have been beat by a better team who, like us, grows their own. Anyone who doesn't think they have an unfair advantage has their head in the sand. I do agree with you that if we must play them in the 2nd round every year that it greatly reduces our chances of advancing. Even in the years that we have a good team like this one. The Z Plan actually give them a better chance of having more than one team in the champ. game by allowing the privite region to split in the playoffs. In theory CPA could go East and G'Pasture could go west. I'm also convinced that there is nothing that we can do about it. Base on your "history" theory Harpeth may never make the playoffs again because they don't do it historically. That is my point! Take away the privates and there will be years that we can advance past the 3rd round. Because we have a good program and we will be good enough no matter what "history" says.

The scores tonight still have some influence, but the way the new scheme works this year, Region 5 will be the swing region. I am 95% confident based on likely outcomes in the rest of 2A tonight, DCA based on being the furthest east will go east. Goodpasture and CPA will go west.

One thing about it is you're NEVER going to hear me argue for the privates. The fact is we have only been put out of the playoffs by privates 2 of the last 10 years. Most of those years we have been beat by a better team who, like us, grows their own. Anyone who doesn't think they have an unfair advantage has their head in the sand. I do agree with you that if we must play them in the 2nd round every year that it greatly reduces our chances of advancing. Even in the years that we have a good team like this one. The Z Plan actually give them a better chance of having more than one team in the champ. game by allowing the privite region to split in the playoffs. In theory CPA could go East and G'Pasture could go west. I'm also convinced that there is nothing that we can do about it. Base on your "history" theory Harpeth may never make the playoffs again because they don't do it historically. That is my point! Take away the privates and there will be years that we can advance past the 3rd round. Because we have a good program and we will be good enough no matter what "history" says.

Teams like Lewis co. will continue to have problems getting to the boro due to lack of balance on offense. Don't get me wrong, Lewis will run the wing-T down your throat but a team with excessive talent (i.e. Alcoa, GP, CPA, DCA) can stack the box and game plan shutting it down. Nowadays, You have to have a balanced offensive attack if you want to compete for Gold Balls.

If you go 10-0 averaging 350 rushing yards a game, and finally run into a team that holds you under 100. You have to be able to stretch the field and score in a variety of ways.

You're not getting my logic or you are taking it personally.

The 'historical significance' is not having enough talent to get into the playoffs. That's cyclical. There are rural public programs that will be up and down according to their talent level. Hapeth or Richland or Fairview or Loretto or Lewis County are all in the same boat there. They are all rural public schools that depend on homegrown talent exclusively. The history is that Lewis County's region has played either the ABC region or the strong West Tennessee region. Most rural publics would rather take their chances with the other rural publics and you're right, history and tradition only play a small part of it when you look at apples to apples. The last 2 years, however, Lewis County had to play out of a Region 5 matchup in rounds 1 and 2. Historically, those teams have won a lot of Gold Balls, be it in 1A or 2A. All I'm saying is that it's a tougher row to hoe and the Z Plan actually gives Lewis County a shot at playing somebody besides an ABC school in the first couple of rounds. Those schools could actually end up in different brackets which I think is a positive for Region 6 compared to what they've had the last 2 years. I can't believe Coach Sharp would prefer to go back to a Region 5 versus Region 6 guaranteed matchup in round 1 and most likely round 2. I think Lewis County's chances of advancement are greatly increased by the Z Plan. They'll have a high seed as will all 3 of the ABC schools. They aren't likely to meet until the finals of the bracket which would be round 3.

I'm pulling for you guys. I like your chances, particularly with the Z Plan to advance pretty far into the playoffs, but I still think that the 3 ABC schools and Alcoa are the teams to beat.

Teams like Lewis co. will continue to have problems getting to the boro due to lack of balance on offense. Don't get me wrong, Lewis will run the wing-T down your throat but a team with excessive talent (i.e. Alcoa, GP, CPA, DCA) can stack the box and game plan shutting it down. Nowadays, You have to have a balanced offensive attack if you want to compete for Gold Balls.

If you go 10-0 averaging 350 rushing yards a game, and finally run into a team that holds you under 100. You have to be able to stretch the field and score in a variety of ways.

Let me see if I understand correctly? If we were able to pass for 1000 yards and run for 2000 yards, we would be better prepared to go deep into the playoffs. I am just trying to understand because I am getting older and am easily confused.

Let's say that we had a quarterback who threw about 10-12 times a game and maybe had a stud receiver who caught 25-30 passes during the year for 10 TD's... and then we had a good strong rushing attack that averaged 200-250 yards per game, then we might have a lot better chance of making it deep into the playoffs?

Compared to say a team that was run orriented, in which case we don't have that good a chance of going deep into the playoffs? Is this correct?