David Lipscomb

tnfootball4

I'm just curious, what challenges do Public schools face when playing a private school. It couldn't be money. Most public schools have a varsity football budget that is twice the size of Lipscomb's. I don't think Fulton, Tyner, Huntingdon, Milan, LA, Alcoa, Smith County, Greenbrier, Hillsboro, and White House are just a few of the public teams in recent years, faced any terrible challenges in defeating Lipscomb. You know Alcoa just loves playing Goodpasture, and little East Robertson also tacked one on the Cougars. I believe that most of the Public 1A schools love playing Nashville Christian.

I don't think public schools have twice the budget as private schools, I have coached at both and the public schools

usually do have a bigger gate mainly because of the people in the community all went there, but as far as having more money that is crazy, private schools like Lipscomb have so many private doners and not to mention the money the parents pour into the program, you think Pearl Cohn or Tyner has a bigger budget than Lipscomb, I would take that bet anyday.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think public schools have twice the budget as private schools, I have coached at both and the public schools

usually do have a bigger gate mainly because of the people in the community all went there, but as far as having more money that is crazy, private schools like Lipscomb have so many private doners and not to mention the money the parents pour into the program, you think Pearl Cohn or Tyner has a bigger budget than Lipscomb, I would take that bet anyday.

You're right. I coached on both sides of the fence for a long time, and "budget" and "bank" are two different things.

ruse?

I agree with you 100 percent

I guess it is also not fair for public schools to pay "tuition" and be able to attend school in another area. For example, in Blount County you can pay an out-of-county fee and attend school there. Last AP poll that I checked had a Blount County school at #8 in 5A, #1 in 4A and #1 in 2A. Noone seems uptight about this.

Why can't we keep public-private debate over where it belongs. There is an entire section for that on Coach T.

Because certain people on CoachT are whining crying moronic idiots that have nothing better to do than to complain and try to degrade a team's success. THOSE PEOPLE ARE TRULY SAD CASES.

I don't know what the other Private School's budget is, I referenced Lipscomb's, because I know what it is and I know that they have to spend it on middle school, a freshman team, a JV team and finally figure in a varsity squad of around 65 players who dress on Friday Night. The money pouring in from the parents? So many Private donor's? I don't know where you get that idea from. Each football family gives our Football mom enough money at the beginning of the year to feed their child a burger or a piece of pizza and drink after each game. There is no quarterback club at Lipscomb, there is no Football Booster Club at Lipscomb. There is one Booster Club that serves the entire school. They spent nearly everydime they could get their hands on last year, trying to help the school put air conditioning in the gym, help the school get a new bus, and finally help the school finish up a soccer practice field. What is unique about the LIpscomb parents is that they volunteer their time: clean and fix up, work the ticket booth and concession stand, paint the field on game day and sell merchandise and work the press box during the game. Your assessments about money and parents giving big time may be the case at other private schools such as BA, MBA, Ensworth, BGA, McCallie, Baylor and the others, but also consider the discrepancy in tuition at these schools compared to Lipscomb. I also know there have been area public schools quarterback clubs who provide funds not only to subsidize the coach's salary but also builds in-door practice facilities.

As I have been trying to make a point, Lipscomb doesn't operate like these private schools that some un-informed folks keep lumping them into. And remember not all public schools are alike. Their committments to success are different. You can now ask Spring Hill's now former coach and there are many other public school examples.

The quote references Metro Nashville's Pearl Cohn or Chattanooga Hamilton County Tyner Academy Magnet School's being less than Lipscomb's Budget. My response is "be careful of what you are willing to take a bet on because someone might take you up on it"

I don't know what the other Private School's budget is, I referenced Lipscomb's, because I know what it is and I know that they have to spend it on middle school, a freshman team, a JV team and finally figure in a varsity squad of around 65 players who dress on Friday Night. The money pouring in from the parents? So many Private donor's? I don't know where you get that idea from. Each football family gives our Football mom enough money at the beginning of the year to feed their child a burger or a piece of pizza and drink after each game. There is no quarterback club at Lipscomb, there is no Football Booster Club at Lipscomb. There is one Booster Club that serves the entire school. They spent nearly everydime they could get their hands on last year, trying to help the school put air conditioning in the gym, help the school get a new bus, and finally help the school finish up a soccer practice field. What is unique about the LIpscomb parents is that they volunteer their time: clean and fix up, work the ticket booth and concession stand, paint the field on game day and sell merchandise and work the press box during the game. Your assessments about money and parents giving big time may be the case at other private schools such as BA, MBA, Ensworth, BGA, McCallie, Baylor and the others, but also consider the discrepancy in tuition at these schools compared to Lipscomb. I also know there have been area public schools quarterback clubs who provide funds not only to subsidize the coach's salary but also builds in-door practice facilities.

As I have been trying to make a point, Lipscomb doesn't operate like these private schools that some un-informed folks keep lumping them into. And remember not all public schools are alike. Their committments to success are different. You can now ask Spring Hill's now former coach and there are many other public school examples.

The quote references Metro Nashville's Pearl Cohn or Chattanooga Hamilton County Tyner Academy Magnet School's being less than Lipscomb's Budget. My response is "be careful of what you are willing to take a bet on because someone might take you up on it"

Well let me know when u wanna take me up on that bet. U need to take a trip down to Tyner and compare

there campus and athletic facilities to Lipscomb:THERE IS NO COMPARISON: And as far as Lipscomb not having anybody donate money, gimme a break. You stated Lipscomb having to fund a middle school, freshman, and JV team well welcome to the world of public schools, I was a middle school head coach for 4 years and if it had not been for the local high school giving us equipment and us using their facilites we could not have had a team, the fact is a lot of public schools have JV and freshman teams, a good example is Kingston High School, they have a JV, Freshman, and 74 varsity players. And as far as indoor practice facilities for public schools, well that must be a Nashville thing, because where I'm from that does not happen. U mentioned getting money for a soccer practice field

, most public public schools at least east of Nashville have to share one field with the entire school, so as far as that bet goes make it light on yourself.

I'm just curious, what challenges do Public schools face when playing a private school. It couldn't be money. Most public schools have a varsity football budget that is twice the size of Lipscomb's. I don't think Fulton, Tyner, Huntingdon, Milan, LA, Alcoa, Smith County, Greenbrier, Hillsboro, and White House are just a few of the public teams in recent years, faced any terrible challenges in defeating Lipscomb. You know Alcoa just loves playing Goodpasture, and little East Robertson also tacked one on the Cougars. I believe that most of the Public 1A schools love playing Nashville Christian.

Advantages? In my area the middle school coaches are completely volunteers except for a school sponser person which usually is not a football person. They do their best, but being able to run the same systems is really out of the question as they tend to role every few years. Maybe DL could help us with a bake sale and we could get some money to pay for some coaches.

It also is really good to hear your opinion on kids working. I bet you have never had to help work on a farm after a freeze killed everything you had and a drought caused you to sale the bulk of your livestock. Oh by the way Marshall county has recently seen 40percent unemployment. Tell me? how many kids on DL reside in homes that at some level depend on government assistance for basic needs. These kids work hard at football, but they have other hurdles.

DL has a great program, they just need to play in DIVII at some level.

Advantages? In my area the middle school coaches are completely volunteers except for a school sponser person which usually is not a football person. They do their best, but being able to run the same systems is really out of the question as they tend to role every few years. Maybe DL could help us with a bake sale and we could get some money to pay for some coaches.

It also is really good to hear your opinion on kids working. I bet you have never had to help work on a farm after a freeze killed everything you had and a drought caused you to sale the bulk of your livestock. Oh by the way Marshall county has recently seen 40percent unemployment. Tell me? how many kids on DL reside in homes that at some level depend on government assistance for basic needs. These kids work hard at football, but they have other hurdles.

40 percent unemployment? Maybe you should move to nashville, There are not enough people to fill all the good jobs!!

As for your point, what is it? Rich kids are better football players?

Hey genius you might want to check your facts-http://www.tennessee.gov/labor-wfd/labor_figures/september2007county.pdf

according to the state of tennessee statistics, Marshall county is up to 8.4% unemployment last month it was 7.7 and the month before 5%. So please let me know where your 40% number came from. Perhaps your lack of knowledge prevents you from getting a job. As i see it with such high unemployment numbers that leaves everyone more time to practice football. all of the unemployed parents could volunteer and you would have a whole town full of coaches.

Well let me know when u wanna take me up on that bet. U need to take a trip down to Tyner and compare

there campus and athletic facilities to Lipscomb:THERE IS NO COMPARISON: And as far as Lipscomb not having anybody donate money, gimme a break. You stated Lipscomb having to fund a middle school, freshman, and JV team well welcome to the world of public schools, I was a middle school head coach for 4 years and if it had not been for the local high school giving us equipment and us using their facilites we could not have had a team, the fact is a lot of public schools have JV and freshman teams, a good example is Kingston High School, they have a JV, Freshman, and 74 varsity players. And as far as indoor practice facilities for public schools, well that must be a Nashville thing, because where I'm from that does not happen. U mentioned getting money for a soccer practice field

, most public public schools at least east of Nashville have to share one field with the entire school, so as far as that bet goes make it light on yourself.

So all public schools have the same circumstances? Of course not, Some have more money, booster clubs, better facilities, etc. So how will we level that? The point is nothing will ever be even in high school sports. the sooner people accept it the better!