Question for the Oakland folks...

Football Man

did ferguson and scharsh get fired?if so why? o do not like rankin comojng to oakland i dont care about flatt

Scharsh stepped down. Coach ferg was fired from his football duties....11-29 over four years is not very good. However, ferg is a great man and he will land on his feet and be successful

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who knows??? Do you really feel like the rumor is true? I have always respected/enjoyed your posts. Coach appears to like Alcoa, but I have not heard that about his wife. We'll just treat it as just that, a rumor for now.

I will be honest with you.......word was that his wife didn't like it at Riverdale either. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

In my personal opinion, I would see Rankin heading for a more sure thing than Oakland. ( Like Hoover) Region 4 is a tough one. Smyrna is going to be loaded for yrs with their feeder program taking home the county championships for 3 yrs now. Siegel is loaded as well.......their freshman teams over the last 3 yrs have won. Blackman has some major talent as well. When Rankin was here in the Boro, that was not the case. Rankin had his record of not being beaten in the regular season by region teams....a long streak. I can't see him putting his reputation on the line coming back. The indoor facility is a draw, but little does he know it is for ALL SPORTS at OHS. Rankin does NOT like to share the limelight with anyone. PLUS.....basketball is the big dog at OHS. Randy King is a tough act to compete with at OHS. The man is a legend. He wins and he does it with integrity and with an iron hand. Then you have Hawks in baseball with 2 rings and a great program that has a ton of support. Rankin doesn't want to compete with them for any glory. I just don't see it happening.

As I said Oakland should not hire Flatt.

His basic 5 man front will work when you have stud lineman playing one way.In the public sector you will be lucky to have one and 2 is a luxury.

Smyrna has a lb that is a soph and maybe 5 ft 5 140 pounds I can guarantee you Flatt has never had to work a defensive scheme with that type talent ( not picking on our lb he plays as hard as anybody).

While Flatt is gone we did play BA this year and the thing that struck me was not their good athletes and they do have them but the fact that on offense and defense everyone plays one way and the most important part is they dont have a "bad" player on the field at any position. There is not a player on the field you can look at an go wow we can take advantage of that.

While everybody in our region has some good players we all have had at some point those 180 pound lineman or 150 pound lbs on the field.

Seems like Scharsh is what I keep hearing Oakland wants? A young coach with experience

Would he fit.

The Patterson coach at SMS is a very good coach and I think he would fit perfect at Oakland. He is very laid back and spends numerous hours with those kids off the field. I think after Ferguson who I hear was pretty intense he may be just what you need.

I think all that us against the world stuff and and this is bigger than football it is about life is all good and has its place but in my opinion I think Oakland needs to get back to its a football game lets go play it. I may be wrong but I just sensed all year Oakland playing like they were under pressure.

I will be honest with you.......word was that his wife didn't like it at Riverdale either. /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

In my personal opinion, I would see Rankin heading for a more sure thing than Oakland. ( Like Hoover) Region 4 is a tough one. Smyrna is going to be loaded for yrs with their feeder program taking home the county championships for 3 yrs now. Siegel is loaded as well.......their freshman teams over the last 3 yrs have won. Blackman has some major talent as well. When Rankin was here in the Boro, that was not the case. Rankin had his record of not being beaten in the regular season by region teams....a long streak. I can't see him putting his reputation on the line coming back. The indoor facility is a draw, but little does he know it is for ALL SPORTS at OHS. Rankin does NOT like to share the limelight with anyone. PLUS.....basketball is the big dog at OHS. Randy King is a tough act to compete with at OHS. The man is a legend. He wins and he does it with integrity and with an iron hand. Then you have Hawks in baseball with 2 rings and a great program that has a ton of support. Rankin doesn't want to compete with them for any glory. I just don't see it happening.

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> I see........

As I said Oakland should not hire Flatt.

His basic 5 man front will work when you have stud lineman playing one way.In the public sector you will be lucky to have one and 2 is a luxury.

Smyrna has a lb that is a soph and maybe 5 ft 5 140 pounds I can guarantee you Flatt has never had to work a defensive scheme with that type talent ( not picking on our lb he plays as hard as anybody).

While Flatt is gone we did play BA this year and the thing that struck me was not their good athletes and they do have them but the fact that on offense and defense everyone plays one way and the most important part is they dont have a "bad" player on the field at any position. There is not a player on the field you can look at an go wow we can take advantage of that.

While everybody in our region has some good players we all have had at some point those 180 pound lineman or 150 pound lbs on the field.

Seems like Scharsh is what I keep hearing Oakland wants? A young coach with experience

Would he fit.

The Patterson coach at SMS is a very good coach and I think he would fit perfect at Oakland. He is very laid back and spends numerous hours with those kids off the field. I think after Ferguson who I hear was pretty intense he may be just what you need.

I think all that us against the world stuff and and this is bigger than football it is about life is all good and has its place but in my opinion I think Oakland needs to get back to its a football game lets go play it. I may be wrong but I just sensed all year Oakland playing like they were under pressure.

All of this makes sense. Too add to it, Oakland's freshmen were outsized by almost every opponent this year. Their players are suited for the Wing-T,and ran it well. I don't think Coach Flatt or Rankin are willing to install a trick offense such as that or 5 five wide.

To the point about Oakland wanting a young coach with experience...

Every time a school hires they almost always go with a safe candidate, someone who has "experience." I have seen time and again schools hire folks like this and continue their losing ways. Only to rehire someone 3 or 4 years down the road.

Experience counts for nothing if it was a bad experience. Some coaches will discount that experience by making excuses... not enough support from administration, not enough athletes, bad facilities. A good head coach needs none of those things to compete.

Schools should look hard at coaches with fresh ideas instead of going with the cookie-cutter candidate.

I guess I am surprised no one has mentioned the guy down at Franklin County - unless i missed it in a post somewhere.

Good call! Didn't think about Britton. Do you think he would be interested or wants to see this mission he is on in Winchester through? I heard he applied for the Warren Co. (where he's from) head coaching position a few years ago, but wasn't hired.