Question for the Oakland folks...

Football Man

I feel like we are going to get some really good candidates. I am anxious to hear some definite names.

What I don't want is someone who is going to come but be looking over his shoulder for the next better thing to come along. Meaning someone who has been with several programs in a short period of time like that Meadows guy that used to be at Jeff County. I want someone that plans to be with us a LONG time. I want someone who is not trying to come to bump their retirement pay, someone who doesn't have a history of interviewing at other schools to get a raise, or a talent jumper. These kids need committment and consistency.

I really don't think that there are many other opportunities better than this one. With the young players Oakland has coming up and the fact that ALL of the kids are in a weight class with a coach should be enough to succeed (not many schools have that luxury)

Anyone who is in this game for pay should get out of it.

Coaches who leave schools because the talent level is going down are just telling the world what they know themselves, they can't coach.

We need a coach whose teams over-achieve, not someone who wins when he has talent and loses when hedoesn't. Someone whose teams compete with teams that are bigger and faster than his own.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it seemed early too, but then realized it has been open since before the playoffs started, so around 3 weeks now since we are in round 3. That has been a long time then. I was told the post on the Rutherford County website had the deadline listed as Friday for us and for Eagleville.

Flat, I wish I was in the know......I got my info from an OHS parent while eating a hot dog at the WC/RHS ballgame. ( BTW, they aren't as good as our dogs from OHS.) I admit, we had a great time doing the "what if" game. If I were really in the know, I would be typing a list of who has applied instead of asking yall for one. hahahaah! I also heard they wanted somone firmly in place by Xmas. I agree with that b/c the offseason is VERY important esp if a new person is planning toinstall new schemes.

Agreed about Christmas being an important deadline. But less about installing schemes, but more about changing attitudes and establishing and reinforcing HIGH expectations. It is hard to change a player's way of thinking. If a coach can get the kids to play harder than they think they can play then installing new offensive and defensive systems is really easy.

Agreed about Christmas being an important deadline. But less about installing schemes, but more about changing attitudes and establishing and reinforcing HIGH expectations. It is hard to change a player's way of thinking. If a coach can get the kids to play harder than they think they can play then installing new offensive and defensive systems is really easy.

I think a very good one is one the way.

Just to set the record straight the Football Booster Club at Oakland did not fund the indoor facility. Mr. Livingston and his dad did all of the fundraising work on that. They have worked themselves to make that happen. The Booster Club (OEC) was busy raising the $50,000 needed to fund the program every year since our players don't pay to play football at OHS. The OEC has worked themselves to death over the past three years to raise OHS football up and provide new uniforms for their players, build a merchandise hut, develop one of the most outstanding fields, and lots of other things. OHS football is getting ready to bust loose. I can't wait! Go OHS!! I too keep hearing the CHristmas deadline.

We need a coach whose teams over-achieve, not someone who wins when he has talent and loses when hedoesn't. Someone whose teams compete with teams that are bigger and faster than his own.

Mid state coaches that would fit this need would be at Giles Co. Tullahoma, Cookeville and Marshal Co.

I have heard good things about the GC coach. I also know that the Ttown coach is very familiar with us as we play every year. He runs a good program. Joslin has already come by to check it out if my source is right. Don has had his fill of region4 and the zone exempts. No way he comes back into it again.

Mid state coaches that would fit this need would be at Giles Co. Tullahoma, Cookeville and Marshal Co.

You have got to be kidding me the ONLY way "Saint Olive" wins is when he has more athletes on the field than the other team. I will agree with Cookeville though. Joslin's boys play over their head many times.

i heard through an indirect source that riverdale assistant coach/head track coach/tssaa basketball official Ricky Field applied for this job. he is a great candidate and knows this community like the back of his hand, should have a legit job at getting it.

dont know why his name wasnt brought up in this thread, after all he is an OAKLAND ALUMNI and played college ball right here at MTSU.

i heard through an indirect source that riverdale assistant coach/head track coach/tssaa basketball official Ricky Field applied for this job. he is a great candidate and knows this community like the back of his hand, should have a legit job at getting it.

dont know why his name wasnt brought up in this thread, after all he is an OAKLAND ALUMNI and played college ball right here at MTSU.

i know this man he would be great for the job. he also has a great way of relating to kids. it would not be a bad hire.