Question for the Oakland folks...

Football Man

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rankin played his typical cat and mouse game for a raise, and Oakland apparently bit. I am so disappointed in TPTB. First for being played by a lying cheat, and second for trying to pull a fast one on the OHS faithful, alumni , Players, and fans. I am about finished with this place.

Oakland tried to get the best possible candidate out there and was duped, so what? The worst thing the man can say is no, if so, move on to the next guy. Oakland knew that Butch was going to go after the best, because from day one Butch's goal has been to make Oakland one of the best programs in the state. Say what you want about Rankin, but stats dont lie.

I dont really care too much anymore to get a high character who is going to have Oakland swimming in mediocrity, if the guy we hire has a shady reputation but wins ballgames and gets Oakland back to where they SHOULD be, then so be it.

i guess there are new pieces of the story i havent heard yet, but rankin is not as greedy and money hungry as many make him out to be. i guarantee his family has been the number 1 factor in any coaching decision he has ever made. i can tell you its EXACTLY why he turned down a job offer from HOOVER HIGH SCHOOL worth more than $160,000.

if not this year, then next year perhaps, rankin will finish his career in the midstate. his feet arent rooted in alcoa

The Powers That Be-TPTB

Rankin did not take the job folks. That was what I meant about his cat and mouse game. He is famous for getting raises that way. He played his friends in the process.

You can win championships with morals intact , Oaklandpatriots. We have already done it. Marty did it and so did Alsup. We can do it again. That theory of yours is a bust.

BTW.....Rankin was not offered the Hoover job. Fact.

Oakland would be a challenge for him to get to the Gold right away. No matter what he says about wanting a challenge, he didn't go to a school where it would be now did he? ( Alcoa...??? ) Open enrollment and D-1 players do not constitute a school with a challenge. I knew he would not come to OHS simply b/c he can't beat Quarles and they will be in 5A in 09. No way he chances his rep in 5A like that. I am mad at OHS for even taking his bait. At least they offered it to a class act first....Jerry Joslin.

Yeah, and he also had a declining record at the end of his term with less than 35 players on a 5A team. I dont know why you lump Alsup in the same category as Marty, he has several guys that ended up in the pen, but it was always a hands off kind of thing, so that theory of yours is bust.

Your mad at Oakland for going after a coach with 6 rings? We got to this point by caring more about morals than wins, leave the morals up to the parents and relatives, coaches get paid to win, not to lose with dignity.

You crack me up. You hold a great guy in high esteem, Randy King. A man who teaches morals, discipline, and character and still wins. BUT... He has no ring and no runner-up silver....so do you just throw him out according to your theory? And so then fire Hawks b/c he had so much talent and a national ranking last yr and choked? Which way is it?

Whether you admit it or not...Rankin went out at Riverdale his last 2 yrs in a row on a losing note.

Last I checked, Randy has won more than 25% of his games in the last 5 years as well. So upsets arent allowed anymore? Its unfortunate what happened in baseball, but when you look at the body of work and the body of his tenure, your stretching it.

Point is, the losing with dignity schtick is getting old. If we have to hire a less reputable coach in order to be successful, so be it.

OK, so Rankin went on a losing note, I would kill for Oakland to just be at that point right now, much less where Smyrna is. Oakland as a program got complacent, and its gotten us to where we are now.

Whether you admit it or not...Rankin went out at Riverdale his last 2 yrs in a row on a losing note.

15-0 state champions in 2004, 13-1 semifinal apperance in 2005...maybe his last year on a losing note, but not 2. i sure would have loved 2006 and 2007 to have turned out like that, instead still a remarkable 22-3, but you get my point

Yeah sure, lets fire the guy, he cant be that important, after all, the gym itself is only named after him. Get a grip 2p, you know what Im getting and your taking it way too literally.

Butting in where I'm not needed...but they should have never named the gym after a current coach. Someone let their emotions get the best of them on that one. Way too easy to end up having to rename the gym later if something unseemly happens. MTSU is dealing with a similar issue right now.

OK...I'll just mind my own business.