Question for the Oakland folks...

Football Man

Does anyone actually know any of the official candidates for this job and when they start the interviewing process? Not speculation......actual candidates.

slingmdeep, sweepleft , mynameis, magoo, oaklandpatriots??????

Does ANYONE know??

I have heard nothing. I am, however, anxious to see what type of offense and defense the new HC brings. There is plenty of talent coming from the freshman class as well as a great group of sophs and juniors returning.

No news on what will happen to the assistants either. I would assume some would leave (or be asked to do so), but who knows.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard nothing. I am, however, anxious to see what type of offense and defense the new HC brings. There is plenty of talent coming from the freshman class as well as a great group of sophs and juniors returning.

No news on what will happen to the assistants either. I would assume some would leave (or be asked to do so), but who knows.

Hopefully whoever comes in will be allowed to decide if they would like to keep any of the assistants if any are still desiring to coach at Oakland. But....who knows? Are there any teaching positions open there for a new person to come in by January?

Hopefully whoever comes in will be allowed to decide if they would like to keep any of the assistants if any are still desiring to coach at Oakland. But....who knows? Are there any teaching positions open there for a new person to come in by January?

Let's just say there's some "wiggle room" if the right man is found.

Yeah, there is at least one postion open. Coach Schmeltzer does not have a replacement yet. That and I am sure we need one somewhere I don't know about, especially since we are getting several new classrooms. Most of the coaches want to stay, they have all been there for at least two years each.

I think you can be assured that they will not bring in a Wing-T coach, with Riverdale and WC running versions of that offense. The freshmen group is talented but undersized, it will be interesting to see how they might fit in a different style of offense. There a few assistants who are new to Oakland and might be expendable if the new coach wants to bring assistants along. But the school is growing and new teaching positions should open for the next school year.

one little caveat in replacing hs coaches and staff

no one has a "coaching" position. Everyone is placed into a teaching position. Unless those coaches on oaklnads staff are not tenured they do not have to go anywhere. They can stay there and continue in their teaching positions.

Smyrna was handicapped for several years with several previous coaches still being in P.E. positions at the school forcing any coach hired to have to be vertified and fit into an open class room position ( while some coaches are certified to teach certain subjects the vast majority have P.E. certification. I would bet if you checked the P.E. type positions as well as drivers ed you would find most are coaches or previous coaches.

My point is it is not as easy for a coach to bring his staff as you would think. There must be an open teaching position and they must have certification to match.

Didn't seem to be any problem with Oaklands defense.

Who ever comes in will probably run the offense they are use to running.

As for the wing t I dont believe any 5a tean has ever won a state chamionship running the wing t and as far as I know only Hendersonville made it to the chamionship game.

one little caveat in replacing hs coaches and staff

no one has a "coaching" position. Everyone is placed into a teaching position. Unless those coaches on oaklnads staff are not tenured they do not have to go anywhere. They can stay there and continue in their teaching positions.

Smyrna was handicapped for several years with several previous coaches still being in P.E. positions at the school forcing any coach hired to have to be vertified and fit into an open class room position ( while some coaches are certified to teach certain subjects the vast majority have P.E. certification. I would bet if you checked the P.E. type positions as well as drivers ed you would find most are coaches or previous coaches.

My point is it is not as easy for a coach to bring his staff as you would think. There must be an open teaching position and they must have certification to match.

Didn't seem to be any problem with Oaklands defense.

Who ever comes in will probably run the offense they are use to running.

As for the wing t I dont believe any 5a tean has ever won a state chamionship running the wing t and as far as I know only Hendersonville made it to the chamionship game.

Oakland has a handful of non-tenured coaches.

I believe Riverdale will break that streak you mentioned, too bad that they are playing WC this week, they could have met in the finals. Just because no one has done it does not mean that it cannot be done. There are many teams in other states that win championships in larger divisions running the Wing-T.

Oakland is a basketball and baseball school. What kind of commitment can a championship quality coaching staff expect at Oakland? What are the realistic problems that are holding your program back and what are you willing to do to fix them.

Oakland has actually won more football championships than basketball, and has just as many as baseball-2

While i do agree that baseball and basketball have enjoyed more longterm success I would say that there has not been a principal at Oakland who is more committed to winning than the current one (Butch Vaughn). Oakland has an UNBELIEVABLE indoor facility that has to be tops in the state, The area is full of kids and the past two freshmen classes have been tremendous!!!!! Also Oakland has a new academic program that only a couple of schools in the state have. This allows student to transfer to Oakland w/o a zone waiver and w/o losing any athletic eligibility!!!

Can someone tell me what kind of moron that you have as a principal at Oakland? The word in Franklin County is that your principal put Rick Collins in full control of the hiring of your new football coach. Has your administrator lost his mind? He can't have no football knowledge himself to do that. Has he checked Rick's background? How would he be a good judge of character of a football coach? The man was fired himself for inappropriate conduct as a head coach himself. There was a reason that we didn't select him as the head coach when he tried at Franklin County. He doesn't know squat and he holds a grudge. The man doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut. I can say this because I know him personally. The man has only been part of a winning program at Riverdale. Face it, they had all the studs from Smyrna, Shelbyville, Lawrenceburg, and Oakland that could be recruited. An ape could have won with the skill people Rick had to work with there. He was ten strings deep there with talent. He was part of a losing program everywhere else he was. What qualifies him to pick a head coach? Even the new coach at Riverdale wanted him to move on somewhere else. Now you morons at Oakland put him in a power situation. Ron Crawford had the respect of every coach that ever met him or played against him. He had the respect of the athletes and the parents too.He is the reson for the success of Riverdale's defense, not Collins. Collins just reaped what Crawford sowed. Ask Rankin who he would have rather had calling his Defense and I will tell you the answer. Ask Gary who he trusted more? He will tell you Crawford. Crawford was successful with average talent. He was moving Coffee County in the right direction when he left. Could Rick have done that? No. Collins can't say the same. How can you respect a man who has done what Rick did? I think your principal better start listening to someone else and take the power back at his school before he is the laughingstock of the state. Collins has him by his balls. Anyone that has an ax to grind with Collins should not apply. Even our own coach at Franklin County knows all I have said to be true.