Henry County vs Fairley

Red Dawn

Oh ... ok. Henry County is a tremendous team and if you believe that this game will be easier then what most people think ... then good for you. I've already stated that I think Melrose will play Henry County in the third round, but Fairley is capable ... very capable.

Yes ... their RB (Fairley's) is small in stature and fast as lightning, and also pretty strong. Their QB who has passed for over 1,000 yards this season, may be one of the most under-rated QB's in Tennessee High school football. Make no mistake ... Fairley has plenty of weapons ... just like Henry County has plenty of weapons.

My contacts in Memphis are more in tune with your assessment, than with a few fans up here who have no clue to what they're talking about. Henry County has a very unique attack that requires you to stop THREE runners, and an above average passing attack. The Henry County defense is good, but not great. The kicking game is above average. My information on Fairley matches yours, and it comes from coaches in the Memphis area. I think the game will be a good one, and could go either way, but I haven't seen Fairley. I'm just taking the word of fellow coaches and you. How physical would rate Fairley to be? How is their kicking game?

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My contacts in Memphis are more in tune with your assessment, than with a few fans up here who have no clue to what they're talking about. Henry County has a very unique attack that requires you to stop THREE runners, and an above average passing attack. The Henry County defense is good, but not great. The kicking game is above average. My information on Fairley matches yours, and it comes from coaches in the Memphis area. I think the game will be a good one, and could go either way, but I haven't seen Fairley. I'm just taking the word of fellow coaches and you. How physical would rate Fairley to be? How is their kicking game?

I can't truly answer either of those questions; I will leave that to the White Station fans who saw Fairley lose to their Spartans earlier this season. They may remember the game and have some insight for you.

It was not meant that Fairley is a one man show, just stating that those folks like Brighton and Northside who's main or only weapon was a high caliber running back, got shut down.

Fairley has a great passing game accompanied by this back that seems to be so small and quick. It will take a concerted effort by the Big Red Defense to halt the Bulldogs.

How do you score 27 points and get shut down. You guys live in a dream world. We are out now so it doesnt really matter to me but Mann was not shut down against HC. He had 128 yards and 2 TD's in the game and the offense scored 4 TD's. I will say this though, the only differnce in the Melrose D and Henry County D is the fact that they did not let us score inside the 10. We moved the ball up and down the field. We got inside the 10 five times and could not get in. Most of that was lack of execution according to the coaches, but I give Melrose a lot of credit too. They made Northside earn every inch. We were stopped twice 2 inches away, I mean every inch.

How do you score 27 points and get shut down. You guys live in a dream world. We are out now so it doesnt really matter to me but Mann was not shut down against HC. He had 128 yards in the game and the offense scored 4 TD's. I will say this though, the only differnce in the Melrose D and Henry County D is the fact that they did not let us in inside the 10. We moved the ball up and down the field. We got inside the 10 five times and could not get in. Most of that was lack of execution according to the coaches, but I give Melrose a lot of credit too. They made Northside earn every inch. We were stopped twice 2 inches away, I mean every inch.

Hermit:

Just out of curiosity. What number was the MLB for Melrose ... if you remember.

I can't truly answer either of those questions; I will leave that to the White Station fans who saw Fairley lose to their Spartans earlier this season. They may remember the game and have some insight for you.

Fairley has a good team. They have the ability to run, and pass. They seemd pretty balanced when White Station played them. Defensively, while they didn't seem to be a "shut down" kind of defense, they aren't porous either. Special teams function well too. They scored a TD on us with a kick off return.

Bottom line....they aren't a fluke, and HC would do well to take them as a serious contender. I guess if I knew more about HC I could give a better opinion on how this game would go, but I just don't know enough to do that.

How do you score 27 points and get shut down. You guys live in a dream world. We are out now so it doesnt really matter to me but Mann was not shut down against HC. He had 128 yards in the game and the offense scored 4 TD's. I will say this though, the only differnce in the Melrose D and Henry County D is the fact that they did not let us in inside the 10. We moved the ball up and down the field. We got inside the 10 five times and could not get in. Most of that was lack of execution according to the coaches, but I give Melrose a lot of credit too. They made Northside earn every inch. We were stopped twice 2 inches away, I mean every inch.

Hermit, you seem to be quite touchy about those comments. They were not meant disrespectful. Prior to our playing the Brighton game, Deundre Williams had more yardage than Mann. We shut him down which gave Mann the lead for Yardage in our region. If you will notice in another comment that Mann was the most successful back against HC all year. My thoughts don't always match what I am writing down but during the first half of the Northside game, Mann was essentially shut down with less than 50yds and no TD's. Of course that all changed after the lights went out.

But more importantly, how did Mann do against the Melrose Defense as far as yardage goes?

Another opinion coming your way. Yes Fairley is a pretty good football team..above average quickness with decent size. Kicking game is fair only. Defense at times is porous. Fairley is prone to turn the ball over 2-3 times per week. Looking at film, Fairley is very predictable. (ex. check depth of tb to decipher run or pass coming) Tend to be formation oriented also. Do not think that Fairley will be able to stay with Henry. Looking for a score somewhere around 31-14. Melrose will come calling the following week and this is where the excitement will begin. Unbelievable quickness on defense. Injured players are all back now for the first time in weeks and what a difference it has made. (Ask JNS about trying to run on these guys). What will make this quarter-final interesting will be the dynamic defense that Melrose will put on the field against the Henry offense that can pound it with Allen or finess you with the dart/spear game. Field position and mistakes will determine the outcome of this one. Now...Make no mistake. Henry must prepare well for Fairley but in the end the only bulldogs that will be happy this Friday will be those in the Gaddis household. Take care of business this week, and the fun will truly begin the following week. Congratulations to Henry on their Region Championship, and their tremendous play this year. Carry the Region 7 banner high and proud and best of luck throughout the coming weeks!!

How do you score 27 points and get shut down. You guys live in a dream world. We are out now so it doesnt really matter to me but Mann was not shut down against HC. He had 128 yards and 2 TD's in the game and the offense scored 4 TD's. I will say this though, the only differnce in the Melrose D and Henry County D is the fact that they did not let us score inside the 10. We moved the ball up and down the field. We got inside the 10 five times and could not get in. Most of that was lack of execution according to the coaches, but I give Melrose a lot of credit too. They made Northside earn every inch. We were stopped twice 2 inches away, I mean every inch.

I am from Henry County, but I would tend to agree with you. Henry County did not "shut down" your running back. But from the perspective of an old coach, holding him to an average of five yards a carry is just fine. Does Henry County have a chance against Melrose, if they play? I think Fairley is going to be a big challenge, so I am not looking ahead, but simply wondered what your thoughts were. I thought your team may have been the best team Henry County played this season.