MBA vs. Father Ryan

Hadouken

Looking at it from the other side...what does Ryan do differently in this game, scheme wise, to stop MBA's rushing attack? Ryan played 8 to 9 men in the box the last time these teams met and MBA ran it down their throat? What does Ryan do differently this time? Blitz, blitz and blitz some more?

Ryan has to play a perfect game to win. This consists of staying on blocks, not missing tackles, dont blow assignments and other fundamental things of that nature. If they do what their coaches tell them to and do it all night then they have a shot but if not then they will not win. MBA is so disciplined a football team that in order to do well against them you have to do the small fundamentals

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan will come out extremely fired up looking for revenge, but that won't last long. Both teams come into this game pretty one-dimensional, relying heavily on the running game, but their center will have his hands full all game going against Bubis (#50). MBA has a good rotation of tackles as well with sloan, cole, thomas, and ferrel, so the line will give Ryan problems. Bartholomew and Knight are too fundamentally sound to make stupid errors and over-running the ball, so look for the DL to hold up the line of scrimmage and then the two backers and Wade and Radar all come in and lay the wood on barry.

As for Ryan's D: they better show up ready to hit because the O-Line for MBA brings it hard everyplay. If they think it will be alright to take a play off, then they'll be watching Vinsang truck their secondary and scamper for another TD

Repeat of a couple of weeks ago, but not quite as severe.

MBA-27

Ryan-7

I'd be very surprised if it ends up being that close. MBA will beat them like the proverbial rented mule! Granted, I only saw Ryan play one game, but once they got down a little and knew they were outmanned, they basically curled up into the fetal position. Maybe if they get an early turnover or two, and get out to a lead it may be different, but I really don't think so.

I'd be very surprised if it ends up being that close. MBA will beat them like the proverbial rented mule! Granted, I only saw Ryan play one game, but once they got down a little and knew they were outmanned, they basically curled up into the fetal position. Maybe if they get an early turnover or two, and get out to a lead it may be different, but I really don't think so.

Don't get me wrong, FR did get whooped by both MBA and BA, but they were missing some of their leaders. Goodrum was out. Mix was out. And if I am remembering correctly, another key senior defender was out(don't remember). Just don't rule out FR too quick. As you can tell by John Brown's remarks on here, they were a little to high on themselves. Obviously, right now they are not on BA and MBA's level. But upsets happen. Ohio State lost to Illinois. The Chargers beat the Colts. VANDERBILT BEAT TENNESSEE. Don't write the Irish off yet.

Don't get me wrong, FR did get whooped by both MBA and BA, but they were missing some of their leaders. Goodrum was out. Mix was out. And if I am remembering correctly, another key senior defender was out(don't remember). Just don't rule out FR too quick. As you can tell by John Brown's remarks on here, they were a little to high on themselves. Obviously, right now they are not on BA and MBA's level. But upsets happen. Ohio State lost to Illinois. The Chargers beat the Colts. VANDERBILT BEAT TENNESSEE. Don't write the Irish off yet.

Vandy beating Tennessee was an anomaly, but I will not go there cause this is a HS board. I just could not let that pass by.

I don't think FR will win, but anything can happen. IF MBA comes in over confident (not playing fundamentally sound, physical play etc.), or looking toward the big game, they could get beat. I've been very impressed with how focussed they been all year. I don't see that changing.

MBA 20

FR 7

Ryan's "leaders" played against MBA, but they didn't play long. Mix was out quick after going against #67 Wesley Johnson for a couple of series, and later returned but didn't do much. Goodrum didn't do anything against MBA and Berry had around 60 yards on the ground, so Ryan's "leaders" better show up because the whole Ryan team is going to be looking to those select few when they get down quick and early. It will all be a matter of how these "leaders" respond. If they crumble along with the rest of the Irish, then this game will be over half-way through the first quarter. Sorry but I just don't see it being a good night for you if you're wearing purple.

stand by my score

mba 27

ryan 7

ps....#50 will be dominant again and the Big Red D will completely dominate the game. Ryan will most likely score on a fluke play, or special teams. Kick-off is definitely one of MBA's weaker points so watch out for a big special teams play

Ryan's "leaders" played against MBA, but they didn't play long. Mix was out quick after going against #67 Wesley Johnson for a couple of series, and later returned but didn't do much. Goodrum didn't do anything against MBA and Berry had around 60 yards on the ground, so Ryan's "leaders" better show up because the whole Ryan team is going to be looking to those select few when they get down quick and early. It will all be a matter of how these "leaders" respond. If they crumble along with the rest of the Irish, then this game will be over half-way through the first quarter. Sorry but I just don't see it being a good night for you if you're wearing purple.

stand by my score

mba 27

ryan 7

ps....#50 will be dominant again and the Big Red D will completely dominate the game. Ryan will most likely score on a fluke play, or special teams. Kick-off is definitely one of MBA's weaker points so watch out for a big special teams play

why so much talk about #50? are you bubis? related to bubis? you talk a lot about him but he doesn't really back it up on the field that well

I don't think FR will win, but anything can happen. IF MBA comes in over confident (not playing fundamentally sound, physical play etc.), or looking toward the big game, they could get beat. I've been very impressed with how focussed they been all year. I don't see that changing.

MBA 20

FR 7

If that close, MBA will not overlook Ryan, because they not only their next game, but it is the playoffs, and its ryan.

MBA:30

Ryan:3

why so much talk about #50? are you bubis? related to bubis? you talk a lot about him but he doesn't really back it up on the field that well

Bubis is actually a very good D-lineman, he has put up very impressive stats this year, about 28 tackles, a few knockdowns, many sacks, and a seemingly unending amount of tackles for losses. No center thus far has been able to match his physicality, aggressiveness, or strength. And there is no shortage of HUGE hard hits that get the crowd and the other players pumped up.

IF MBA comes in over confident (not playing fundamentally sound, physical play etc.), or looking toward the big game, they could get beat. I've been very impressed with how focussed they been all year. I don't see that changing.

Excellent point. As an MBA fan, the wins have been nice, but what has been most pleasing is the focus and attitude of this team. The players support each other. There is emotion shown both on the field and on the sidelines by the players after big plays. While I think the last MBA teams to go undefeated during the regular season ('99 and '00*) were more balanced and somewhat more talented, this team has the intangibles and a will to win similar to those teams.

Excellent point. As an MBA fan, the wins have been nice, but what has been most pleasing is the focus and attitude of this team. The players support each other. There is emotion shown both on the field and on the sidelines by the players after big plays. While I think the last MBA teams to go undefeated during the regular season ('99 and '00*) were more balanced and somewhat more talented, this team has the intangibles and a will to win similar to those teams.

This team seems like some of the teams of my much younger days, when MBA dominated in the late '60's and early '70's with well disciplined teams filled with good, hard-working athletes who weren't necessarily top flight football players (i.e., high school football was as far as they were going), combined with a couple of good college prospects. One thing I've never seen out of an MBA team that I saw in the Ryan game in the regular season was the size: MBA teams in the past were talented, but lacked size. I'm very impressed with the strides MBA has made in conditioning and facilities: in my day, we had a rather beat up Universal machine.

If that close, MBA will not overlook Ryan, because they not only their next game, but it is the playoffs, and its ryan.

MBA:30

Ryan:3

Bubis is actually a very good D-lineman, he has put up very impressive stats this year, about 28 tackles, a few knockdowns, many sacks, and a seemingly unending amount of tackles for losses. No center thus far has been able to match his physicality, aggressiveness, or strength. And there is no shortage of HUGE hard hits that get the crowd and the other players pumped up.

#50 Scott Bubis is the real deal! He's quick and very strong. He also plays with good leverage. He was in Knoxville Webb's backfield early and often last week.

I agree completely. One of the big knocks on the MBA teams of the last couple of years is that they were soft and lacked heart and intensity. That is certainly no longer the case. This team reminds me a lot of the '96 team, with the exception of the line being bigger this year.

Whoever said Bubis has not done anything this year has obviously not watched him play. First of all, his main job is to clog holes and make easy tackles for Knight and Bartholomew and he still has managed to accumulate a very impressive number of TFL's and sacks. He had, I believe 4 sacks last game, and numerous numbers of knockdowns/hurries on the quarterback. He is going to hold his own once again against Ryan playing of the most demanding positions on the field.

Just the thought that Mix and Goodrum playing in the game, eventhough Mix played in the last meeting, will cause any drastic changes is humorous.

This game is going to be decided on the first two drives. If MBA shoves it down their throat like the last meeting, expect another blowout. If Ryan is able to move the ball and stop MBA, expect a much better matchup than last time.

In the end however, MBA will make its way to State to meet BA.

I'm standing by my earlier prediction,

MBA 24

Ryan 0