Road to title is private property

Bighurt

To get back on target and away from this insane FRA argument:

Did anyone else read Satterfield's comment? I thought that was absolutely hilarious. He didn't have a problem with private schools for years - especially when he was beating the stew out of Friendship. For those of you that don't know, Friendship was mediocre at best until the multiplier split. With roughly 30 or so years of school history, I believe Friendship has 3 total wins against them. Why in the world is he suddenly complaining about Friendship and their prowess? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

BaldCoach , where is the article, I'd like to read it. He don't beat around the bush.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right about the online article - better balance. Yet, I have problems with Coach Satterfield's comments. And, I have praise for Coach Mathew's words. And, I have some poor thoughts about R. Carter's attempts to regulate success. And, I have some thoughts on Coach Wilson. And, I think it's great that our own lovable Coach T was asked to contribute!

Coach Satterfield (who spoke one year at our athletics banquet) is a smart coach and a great motivator! However, what he said is a lot of "hot air"! Those students from 9 counties could be girls, for all he knows. The basic fact is that FCS was never on his radar until lately.

FCS, like many small privates, has worked hard, endured MANY losses, and learned from their mistakes. Often what makes programs develop into strong programs and remain strong programs is a stable coaching staff that's been there for years, learned from the past, and plans for the future. I have witnessed this in Gallatin, Goodpasture, Lipscomb, and even Trousdale Co.

FCS's location on a country lane, outside of Lebanon, has made it imperative for them to draw from many communities to populate their school - not to build a sports dynasty!! Although, they have become very good in some sports. Mr. Satterfield should keep his eyes on his own backyard. How many of his boys come from outside of tiny T. County? Think he's never had any from Sumner, Wilson, Smith, or Macon counties? However, I must say, that he has built a quality program because he has been a stable factor, who has learned from his mistakes and planned well for the future. These are some of the keys for success in any endeavor and they are very important in athletics.

As a program gains in respect due to it's success, it attracts attention. The attention of quality players. The attention of fans. The attention of financial supporters. This happens in both public and private settings. As a result success breeds success! Success recruits harder and better than any $$. (for example, look at NY Yankees - all their $$ could not bring success!) Success is not the sole property of privates. There are many successful public programs.

However, Mr. R. Carter really would like to see the Peter Principle (one's success causes him to rise in an organization until he is no longer successful and he is then incompetent) at work for any success story. But only if there are tuition paying students involved. He would NEVER suggest moving a public school up due to their success!!! It would be great, he believes, if privates would rise to the level where they would only win the percentage of championships that they represent (e.g. 14.2 %).

Coach Wilson (a personal friend) was speaking about one of the challenges of public schools. The need to help one's family, through working or caring for siblings (for instance) and not playing, is much greater in the publics than in privates. I've coached both sides of this issue and I have seen this same thing. This brings the percentage of student-athletes down and the school loses out on potential players.

Coach Mathews has a very relevant comment on how success, excellence, competition are expected. This pressure comes from the major stakeholders - parents. And it is true that this spills over into more than just athletics. These days, competition for students is greater, than ever before, for small privates and they strive to put as much "bang" as possible into their school program - getting all accreditations possible, offering unique academics, providing a full selection of sports and arts, hiring the best faculty possible.

All of this puts a heavy financial drain on the small privates. It is difficult to do all this without $$. As a result, athletic programs aren't given great $$ and must rely on boosters - much like public schools. However, private school boosters are VERY involved and committed, often because the athletic success of their school reflects on their school and more importantly on them (I don't believe this to be much of a factor for the public school booster). Also, this is not the same for large, deep-pocket private schools (that charge high $$ and have $$$$ institutions behind them). But they really aren't part of what we're talking about - we're zeroing in on those schools primarily in 1A-3A.

Finally, what Coach T said is the TRUTH!!!! "It's an argument that you aren't going to win.'' I don't think I just won it, but I hope I've shed some light. We'll just keep on a' talking, an' a' talking, an' a' talking, an' a' talking........ /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

To get back on target and away from this insane FRA argument:

Did anyone else read Satterfield's comment? I thought that was absolutely hilarious. He didn't have a problem with private schools for years - especially when he was beating the stew out of Friendship. For those of you that don't know, Friendship was mediocre at best until the multiplier split. With roughly 30 or so years of school history, I believe Friendship has 3 total wins against them. Why in the world is he suddenly complaining about Friendship and their prowess? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Well, don't give up your day job. Mind reading's just not your strong suit. Thsi comment is not

a new thing...maybe to you, but no one else. He was only asked in an interview lately. Been

interviewed many times before....same answer generally speaking. The complaint was and is

that FCS draws, as shown on their website, from 9 counties. Since TC has only one county

to draw from, the lack of fairness or at best, the potential, is rather obvious.

Last year was the first win of FCS over TC in a couple of decades, so it's not a question of

losing on anything resembling a regular basis. Prowess might be a bit of a stretch...much

improved, yes.

The behavior following the SP game, and the run the score up complaints, after you have done

the same to others, doesn't help your cause. The attitude of FCSs' fans, coaches, posters,

do not win you friends. In the eyes of many, not just TC, you have taken the Friendship and

Christian out of FCS. Coach Satterfield isn't now "suddenly complaining". The Tennessean

just brought it back up.

Well, don't give up your day job. Mind reading's just not your strong suit. Thsi comment is not

a new thing...maybe to you, but no one else. He was only asked in an interview lately. Been

interviewed many times before....same answer generally speaking. The complaint was and is

that FCS draws, as shown on their website, from 9 counties. Since TC has only one county

to draw from, the lack of fairness or at best, the potential, is rather obvious.

Last year was the first win of FCS over TC in a couple of decades, so it's not a question of

losing on anything resembling a regular basis. Prowess might be a bit of a stretch...much

improved, yes.

The behavior following the SP game, and the run the score up complaints, after you have done

the same to others, doesn't help your cause. The attitude of FCSs' fans, coaches, posters,

do not win you friends. In the eyes of many, not just TC, you have taken the Friendship and

Christian out of FCS. Coach Satterfield isn't now "suddenly complaining". The Tennessean

just brought it back up.

I have a hard time not saying too much here...

I don't see how anyone can look at Satterfield's behavior or attitude and not have a real problem with it.

FCS may get kids from 9 counties. How, exactly, is that an advantage athletically? Remember, just because FCS might be open zoned geographically doesn't mean they are open zoned in every way. They actually have a very closed zone financially...something that private bashers don't want to admit.

I read the print version of this article in Friday's paper and thought it was a terrible article. Then, I read the online version of this article and found that the print version heavily edited. This is actually a fair and balanced view of this issue. Whoever edited Tom's story for The Tennnessean did him a disservice.

Please read the real article online - Road to title is private property and then form your opinion.

Here is a link to the story.

I have a hard time not saying too much here...

I don't see how anyone can look at Satterfield's behavior or attitude and not have a real problem with it.

Simple! You're not a small public school. If someone has a problem with Clints' opinion, that's

their right. I would venture a guess, the only one that has a problem with it, is privates.

FCS may get kids from 9 counties. How, exactly, is that an advantage athletically? Remember, just because FCS might be open zoned geographically doesn't mean they are open zoned in every way. They actually have a very closed zone financially...something that private bashers don't want to admit.

Well, lets' see. One school gets kids from one county. Another school gets kids from 9 counties.

Now, if you can't see at least a possible advantage there, I don't think anyone could explain

it to you.

I may be a lot of things...naive isn't one of them. On the other hand, if I were a private, I'd

deny it too.

Both of having stated the usual public/private debate, the point of the post was the attitude

this so called Christian school shows. After the FCS/SP game the coach made some vulgar

remarks about SP. There have been several posters on here and in private conversation as

well, about the lack of respect, arrogance, and making enemies in general, of other schools.

There is a reason for the dislike....it's nothing new...the Tennessean just took the cover off

again.

However, Mr. R. Carter really would like to see the Peter Principle (one's success causes him to rise in an organization until he is no longer successful and he is then incompetent) at work for any success story. But only if there are tuition paying students involved. He would NEVER suggest moving a public school up due to their success!!! It would be great, he believes, if privates would rise to the level where they would only win the percentage of championships that they represent (e.g. 14.2 %).

Ronnie Carter didn't create Division II -- the TSSAA Legislative Council did that (and Mr. Carter publicly expressed his disagreement with it). Ronnie Carter didn't enact a multiplier -- the TSSAA Board of Control did that. Ronnie Carter does not make the rules. He enforces them. Ronnie Carter's children both attended private school, and his son coaches at a private school. I don't think he is motivated to limit any school's opportunity to win a championship. I believe your criticism of him is ill-conceived.

Well, lets' see. One school gets kids from one county. Another school gets kids from 9 counties.

Now, if you can't see at least a possible advantage there, I don't think anyone could explain

it to you.

Let's add another assumption -- neither school recruits for athletic purposes. If that is true, then what is the advantage? If each school has 300 kids, why does it matter that they come from one county or nine counties, assuming they are not recruited for sports?

Ronnie Carter didn't create Division II -- the TSSAA Legislative Council did that (and Mr. Carter publicly expressed his disagreement with it). Ronnie Carter didn't enact a multiplier -- the TSSAA Board of Control did that. Ronnie Carter does not make the rules. He enforces them. Ronnie Carter's children both attended private school, and his son coaches at a private school. I don't think he is motivated to limit any school's opportunity to win a championship. I believe your criticism of him is ill-conceived.

Yes, he did not create D2 or the multiplier.

I don't think Ronnie Carter is a bad person. I just don't think he treats public schools and private schools equally. I do not think that his decisions are not made in a vaccum. The fact that a huge majority of the TSSAA members are public schools, some with strong negative opinions of private schools, appears to influence some of his decisions and actions. For example, it appears that he has carried on a personal vendetta against Brentwood Academy and Carlton Flatt (BTW, I am not a Carlton fan).

Just my opinion.

In his capacity with TSSAA he is the "mouth" of the organization, thus he was used by me, as well as by the author of this article, not as John Q. Public, but as a spokesperson for TSSAA and all it stands for. I'm sorry if it seemed I was personally attacking Mr. Carter, I was not. But he represents an organization that is political and by it's efforts SEEMS to favor the public schools and not FAIRNESS as he said in his interview.

Let's add another assumption -- neither school recruits for athletic purposes. If that is true, then what is the advantage? If each school has 300 kids, why does it matter that they come from one county or nine counties, assuming they are not recruited for sports?

LOL. While you are assuming, let's just assume the kids from 9 counties are all girls , in

wheelchairs, and not recruited at all, but just followed the yellow brick road to Possumtown.