Road to title is private property

Bighurt

Thanks for telling me what to do, I don't need another parent. You can deny FRA elite status in your mind all you want, but the fact of the matter is that they have 9 state championships in 6 years. That's more than every school in the state with the exception of Harpeth Hall, Ridgeway, BHS, and the machine Baylor. Just because the "big" sports like basketball and football aren't winning state championships does not mean that the rest aren't.

I'm not trying to be your parent, my friend. FRA has had great success in minor sports. But they are not considered an athletic elite. Maybe someday, but certainly not now.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for telling me what to do, I don't need another parent. You can deny FRA elite status in your mind all you want, but the fact of the matter is that they have 9 state championships in 6 years. That's more than every school in the state with the exception of Harpeth Hall, Ridgeway, BHS, and the machine Baylor. Just because the "big" sports like basketball and football aren't winning state championships does not mean that the rest aren't.

What exactly is "elite status" anyway?

I'm not trying to be your parent, my friend. FRA has had great success in minor sports. But they are not considered an athletic elite. Maybe someday, but certainly not now.

So what, do you work for the TSSAA and only care about football? Minor sports... wow. Football and basketball are not the only sports in this world. Out of the top 5 that I mentioned before I would only consider one of them to be a remote football power, that being Brentwood.

So what, do you work for the TSSAA and only care about football? Minor sports... wow. Football and basketball are not the only sports in this world. Out of the top 5 that I mentioned before I would only consider one of them to be a remote football power, that being Brentwood.

Finally we can agree. Most of the others you mentioned are not elite athletic schools either. I was afraid that would lead to another argument if I said it first. Good point.

No I do not work for TSSAA, and football is not the only sport I care about.

Finally we can agree. Most of the others you mentioned are not elite athletic schools either. I was afraid that would lead to another argument if I said it first. Good point.

No I do not work for TSSAA, and football is not the only sport I care about.

I didn't say they weren't elite, I said they weren't football powers, there is a very big difference. There are plenty of football powers that aren't elite athletic powers, and plenty of elite athletic powers that aren't football powers.

I didn't say they weren't elite, I said they weren't football powers, there is a very big difference. There are plenty of football powers that aren't elite athletic powers, and plenty of elite athletic powers that aren't football powers.

You are right. You didnt say they were not elite powers. I did. And you disagreed with that. Thats fine. We all have opinions.

Perhaps the issue is not the definition of elite vs non-elite. Maybe it is an issue of gender. You flatline share my opinion that whether its a girls or boys sport has nothing to do with elite. FRA is about as elite as you can get especially in soccer, notice I did not say girls soccer. I also remember some of your girls basketball teams in the past and they were great as well. No sport is minor especially when your child plays it. Perhaps some posters here who only have sons see it differently. But a consistent winner is elite no matter the gender or what sport it is. This would have to reflect on the school as well. To see it any other way would be chauvanistic and a little out of date. Elite is what it is, it is not dependent on what a person's opinion says it is. By the way, I am not preaching to you. Hope you enjoy many more successes at FRA and I believe you will. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

What a completely ignorant thing for you to say. There is no such thing as a minor sport. Just because sports like golf, bowling, tennis, etc. are not covered greatly like football and basketball does not mean that they are "minor." Someone who works and excels at, say, tennis is just a great of athelete as a star football player. Just because their sport is not as greatly celebrated as others means absolutely nothing and that it's minor. Being a "minor sport" athlete, if I can call myself that, for my high school tenure, I take great offense that you, or anyone, would stoop to that level of calling any kind of sport "minor."

And FRA has been school with many state champioships and state championship appearances. And just so you know, if you consider basketball a "major" sport, with some research I found FRA's Men's Basketball team made it to state tournament in the 2004-2005 season and the Girl's Team made it to state and lost a Sectional game in the last 5 years. That's succesful in a "major" sport.

What a completely ignorant thing for you to say. There is no such thing as a minor sport. Just because sports like golf, bowling, tennis, etc. are not covered greatly like football and basketball does not mean that they are "minor." Someone who works and excels at, say, tennis is just a great of athelete as a star football player. Just because their sport is not as greatly celebrated as others means absolutely nothing and that it's minor. Being a "minor sport" athlete, if I can call myself that, for my high school tenure, I take great offense that you, or anyone, would stoop to that level of calling any kind of sport "minor."

And FRA has been school with many state champioships and state championship appearances. And just so you know, if you consider basketball a "major" sport, with some research I found FRA's Men's Basketball team made it to state tournament in the 2004-2005 season and the Girl's Team made it to state and lost a Sectional game in the last 5 years. That's succesful in a "major" sport.

Minor is minor. There is no way around that. Revenue producing athletics, typically basketball and football are considered major sports because they are revenue producing. This is not insulting. This is just the way it is. It has nothing to do with success.

To add to what Swami says, the TSSAA defines certain sports as minor. They don't have as many divisions as the major sports. Don't get in a tizzy, the term has nothing to do with the kids or effort or talent required to play, it is just a classification.

I would still like to know what "elite status" means. I am very familiar with FRA athletics over the last several years. I know they have enjoyed some success and won some TSSAA championships in Class A-AA in boys' cross country, boys' track, girls' soccer, and girls' golf. I am sure that among their fellow Class A-AA competitors, the FRA teams in these sports are highly regarded in part because of their success. Does success equate to "elite status"?

To get back on target and away from this insane FRA argument:

Did anyone else read Satterfield's comment? I thought that was absolutely hilarious. He didn't have a problem with private schools for years - especially when he was beating the stew out of Friendship. For those of you that don't know, Friendship was mediocre at best until the multiplier split. With roughly 30 or so years of school history, I believe Friendship has 3 total wins against them. Why in the world is he suddenly complaining about Friendship and their prowess? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />