Road to title is private property

Bighurt

South Pitt is for real this year...as good as I have ever seen in 1a, and that includes that amazing CPA team from 2001 (coldest I have ever been in my life on top of the press box after Robjim exiled me from the warm, dry pressbox...37 degrees, 40mph wind, 4 inches of rain during the game and me without rain gear or a heavy coat lol). I really think they are gonna crush their opponents for the next 2 games...but I could be wrong, that's why they play the game.

Go Pirates!! Woot!!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

South Pitt is for real this year...as good as I have ever seen in 1a, and that includes that amazing CPA team from 2001 (coldest I have ever been in my life on top of the press box after Robjim exiled me from the warm, dry pressbox...37 degrees, 40mph wind, 4 inches of rain during the game and me without rain gear or a heavy coat lol). I really think they are gonna crush their opponents for the next 2 games...but I could be wrong, that's why they play the game.

Go Pirates!! Woot!!

I didn't like you then, but if it happens again, you're butt is still up on top! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Go SP

Go Pirates!! Woot!!

The shocker is that robjim did tell you to use my seat. That was a miserable night. To quote "Jaws", we need a bigger boat.

It's a disappointing article, in my opinion, that pretty much states the obvious without attempting to explore any reasons for "why." For example, why do they cite that Glencliff was the last metro Nashville team to appear in the 5A title game in '99? Glencliff has been removed from the public/private debate since D2 was formed in '97. What do they have to do with this discussion? I think a legitimate question is "why have no metro Nashville schools been to a 5A title game since '99? while Rutherford and Williamson County teams have thrived?" But that is an article we will never see.

Lincoln County's AD is also quoted. Again, Lincoln County hasn't faced private schools in 10 years. Why is his opinion pertinent? And when Lincoln County was competing against the financial-aid granting private schools, they were dominating 3A with a 15-0 state title winning team in 1990. I can't see how they suffered at all from competition with private schools.

I think the data and facts overwhelmingly support the idea that small public schools are at a disadvantage vs. small private schools. But I think Supersteve, wherever he is, captured that a lot better on here several months ago than the author of this article did.

Satterfield is a clown, as usual.

Thanks for the shout-out! Much like this board, to which I return occasionally to hear what's being said, there is nothing new in this article that hasn't been articulated scores of times right here on this website. There still seems to be no consensus "resolution" to this terrible "level playing field" problem.

My hyperbolic solution is to only allow private schools ten on a side in football and soccer, four on a side in basketball, tie one arm behind their back in wrestling, give public schools four outs in baseball and five in softball, give them a head start of ten meters for every 100 meters of a race (you do the math) and (I almost forgot!) allow them eleven frames in bowling. For good measure, in state-sponsored cheerleading contests, DO NOT allow private school cheerleaders to lift their feet off the ground, clap their hands together or raise their voices.

That should level the playing field and make things fair against these super-advantaged private school kids.

Go Pirates!! Woot!!

You are awful optimistic...I hope you are right..Coming to the game on Friday?

You are awful optimistic...I hope you are right..Coming to the game on Friday?

I am thinking about it...if I can get a couple of other coaches to come along I might make the trip to the Valley to root for the Pirates.

I'm thinking it will be over at halftime though...hate to pay (all us coaches get spoiled LOL!) for half a game.

Thanks for the shout-out! Much like this board, to which I return occasionally to hear what's being said, there is nothing new in this article that hasn't been articulated scores of times right here on this website. There still seems to be no consensus "resolution" to this terrible "level playing field" problem.

My hyperbolic solution is to only allow private schools ten on a side in football and soccer, four on a side in basketball, tie one arm behind their back in wrestling, give public schools four outs in baseball and five in softball, give them a head start of ten meters for every 100 meters of a race (you do the math) and (I almost forgot!) allow them eleven frames in bowling. For good measure, in state-sponsored cheerleading contests, DO NOT allow private school cheerleaders to lift their feet off the ground, clap their hands together or raise their voices.

That should level the playing field and make things fair against these super-advantaged private school kids.

If TSSAA would give small publics 20,000$ per season to help them catch their facilities up to those of the privates so they could "DRAW" athletes to their program like privates do would be an easier way to level the playing field.

If you all believe that 11 on 11 or 5 on 5 is all their is to a sport and that money and size of school and quality facilities have nothing to do with winning then why don't all privates play 4A or 5A. I mean you can only put 11 kids on the field at one time right. Those kids at Maryville aren't born with a big "S" on their chest are they. Sounds fair to me.

If TSSAA would give small publics 20,000$ per season to help them catch their facilities up to those of the privates so they could "DRAW" athletes to their program like privates do would be an easier way to level the playing field.

If you all believe that 11 on 11 or 5 on 5 is all their is to a sport and that money and size of school and quality facilities have nothing to do with winning then why don't all privates play 4A or 5A. I mean you can only put 11 kids on the field at one time right. Those kids at Maryville aren't born with a big "S" on their chest are they. Sounds fair to me.

Do you understand that private school parents are already helping fund public schools just like everyone who pays taxes in Tennessee? If you want better facilities, raise the money and build them. That's what private schools have to do.

There were private schools playing in 4A and and 5A until D2 was formed. The kids at MBA, BA, etc. aren't born with a big "S" on their chest either

Apparently South Pitt, Hampton, McKenzie, and Mt. Pleasant are, because I don't see any privates left in 1-A.

Do you understand that private school parents are already helping fund public schools just like everyone who pays taxes in Tennessee? If you want better facilities, raise the money and build them. That's what private schools have to do.

There were private schools playing in 4A and and 5A until D2 was formed. The kids at MBA, BA, etc. aren't born with a big "S" on their chest either

I have had this argument before and yes maybe private school parents taxes do go toward public schools , but that money typically doesn't go towards athletics (which it shouldn't) thus everything public shools get athletically , other than maybe a Gym (wouldn't get that if P.E. wasn't mandatory) is bought by raising money. Now if parents can afford to pay taxes for a school they don't want to send their child to (which is their choice) and PAY big money at some places for them to go to school somewhere else THEY HAVE PLANTY OF MONEY. The biggest part of small public parents don't make the tuition for some private schools in 6 months. SOOOO when small publics raise money they have most parents and supporters donate 2-5$ at the most and the wealthy parents (the ones that make between 25-30k per year ....... yes thats wealthy were I'm from) donate between 25-50$ which will put your donations up to a whopping 150-175$. Now I bet our total was less than most of your single donations you got at your private program last year. Small public coaches have to raise money year around to have what small amounts of equipment and fascilities they do have. We played a SMALL 1A private this year that has had football for about 4 years and they have 5X the practice equipment and facilities we do already, and our coaches work hard to buy a new piece of equipment each year. $$$$$$$$$ makes things happen . the ability to "DRAW" athletes to your program with nice things makes things happen. Life isn't fair , sports are not fair , I would never argue that everyone should have a chance to play just because they want to and compete just because they want to I think you should have to work for it. BUT if TSSAA is out to set a LEVEL playing field the small publics are getting a raw deal. If they don't want a LEVEL playing field FINE we will play whoever and deal with it , but don't try to tell me it's level now. There are no privates in the final 4 of 1A this year .........first time since when?