Road to title is private property

Bighurt

I have had this argument before and yes maybe private school parents taxes do go toward public schools , but that money typically doesn't go towards athletics (which it shouldn't) thus everything public shools get athletically , other than maybe a Gym (wouldn't get that if P.E. wasn't mandatory) is bought by raising money. Now if parents can afford to pay taxes for a school they don't want to send their child to (which is their choice) and PAY big money at some places for them to go to school somewhere else THEY HAVE PLANTY OF MONEY. The biggest part of small public parents don't make the tuition for some private schools in 6 months. SOOOO when small publics raise money they have most parents and supporters donate 2-5$ at the most and the wealthy parents (the ones that make between 25-30k per year ....... yes thats wealthy were I'm from) donate between 25-50$ which will put your donations up to a whopping 150-175$. Now I bet our total was less than most of your single donations you got at your private program last year. Small public coaches have to raise money year around to have what small amounts of equipment and fascilities they do have. We played a SMALL 1A private this year that has had football for about 4 years and they have 5X the practice equipment and facilities we do already, and our coaches work hard to buy a new piece of equipment each year. $$$$$$$$$ makes things happen . the ability to "DRAW" athletes to your program with nice things makes things happen. Life isn't fair , sports are not fair , I would never argue that everyone should have a chance to play just because they want to and compete just because they want to I think you should have to work for it. BUT if TSSAA is out to set a LEVEL playing field the small publics are getting a raw deal. If they don't want a LEVEL playing field FINE we will play whoever and deal with it , but don't try to tell me it's level now. There are no privates in the final 4 of 1A this year .........first time since when?

I don't disagree with your particular situation with whatever school you are associated with. But many private school parents don't have plenty of money. They are squeaking by like alot of people. I don't know what area you are from, but what county in Tennessee considers 25-30 thousand a year rich. I am curious to where this is. You are absolutely correct, life is not fair. The only thing I would disagree with is that even if your school had nice facilities, I don't think it would draw as you state, many athletes to your school. It takes much more than athletics to draw students to private schools. A full 20% of MBA's football team state champions are academic scholars. And there is one other huge factor you may not have considered, many, many parents are exercising their choice as a matter of conscience when they decide to send their child to a private school. For many parents, sports is the last thing of importance on their agenda. Believe it or not, private schools work very hard to be successful both on the field and academically in an attempt to form a successful and productive individual who will continue to contribute to society their whole life. I had no choice but send my children to private schools, my conscience dictated to me to do that. As far as public schools getting better facilities, buildings, I am all for it. There is probably a split coming between public and private. But the unfairness will still exist in the public arena. The small rural counties are still going to have less than the big metropoliton areas, or the more affuent public counties. How do you get it level then? Perhaps they could set up the divisions by level of income. Where is this going to end? /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BUT if TSSAA is out to set a LEVEL playing field the small publics are getting a raw deal. If they don't want a LEVEL playing field FINE we will play whoever and deal with it , but don't try to tell me it's level now. There are no privates in the final 4 of 1A this year .........first time since when?

Well, having coached at a small public, I agree with you!! It's not level now!! My poor old school had no weight room, a tiny gym, no playing fields, AND we had to play against PUBLIC schools that had 600-800 students more than us! Sir, is that fair? Of course I'm talking about those "minor" sports that go by the A/AA classification. It was a little better when we only had to play on the A level of classification, in other sports, against schools that had double our enrollment.

Yes we were small and there were few like us, so obviously we had to "play up". In sports there really is no ideal situation - we need to make LEMONADE when we get raw deals. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Well, having coached at a small public, I agree with you!! It's not level now!! My poor old school had no weight room, a tiny gym, no playing fields, AND we had to play against PUBLIC schools that had 600-800 students more than us! Sir, is that fair? Of course I'm talking about those "minor" sports that go by the A/AA classification. It was a little better when we only had to play on the A level of classification, in other sports, against schools that had double our enrollment.

Yes we were small and there were few like us, so obviously we had to "play up". In sports there really is no ideal situation - we need to make LEMONADE when we get raw deals. /biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

So called minor sports are not in need of a class system as much as football is. Small schools compete fairly evenly with larger schools. In football...it is not as common. It does happen.

If TSSAA would give small publics 20,000$ per season to help them catch their facilities up to those of the privates so they could "DRAW" athletes to their program like privates do would be an easier way to level the playing field.If you all believe that 11 on 11 or 5 on 5 is all their is to a sport and that money and size of school and quality facilities have nothing to do with winning then why don't all privates play 4A or 5A. I mean you can only put 11 kids on the field at one time right. Those kids at Maryville aren't born with a big "S" on their chest are they. Sounds fair to me.

We have never had a Football budget that big. Our bugget last year was $5600. It will be bigger this year but it won't be $20,000. Why? Because private schools have to pay for everything...including classroom supplies and science budgets and gyms and fields... I'm guessing that there are plenty of 1a and 2a schools that have much bigger budgets than us...NOT including field maintenance and supplies, taxes. But we all know that a few thousand a year difference one way or another is not the reason teams are good or bad...it IS a convenient excuse though.

BUT if TSSAA is out to set a LEVEL playing field the small publics are getting a raw deal. If they don't want a LEVEL playing field FINE we will play whoever and deal with it , but don't try to tell me it's level now. There are no privates in the final 4 of 1A this year .........first time since when?

AHAHAHAHAHA..."LEVEL PLAYING FIELD"I knew it would come up!!!! WHAT IS IT??? I even started a thread asking what it is. None of the private bashers can tell me. Still waiting. Level playing field indeed. Ever been Snipe hunting???

AHAHAHAHAHA..."LEVEL PLAYING FIELD"I knew it would come up!!!! WHAT IS IT??? I even started a thread asking what it is. None of the private bashers can tell me. Still waiting. Level playing field indeed. Ever been Snipe hunting???

Coach, we've got the annual TTSSAA (the extra T is on purpose - don't want you to get the wrong idea) decade Snipe Hunt set up for Dec. 31 at Henry Horton at 4 a.m. Should I book you a slot on a hunt team? I could probably get you some TTSSAA scouts to help you out! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

I did see a jackalope head mounted once. It was on Ronnie Carter's office wall. Just kidding. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

I completely agree with you. No one can tell you what a level playing field is. I support a 4A public - alumnus, currently live in zone, and kids will attend. There is NOT a level playing field now. I'm amazed at the ludicrous results two schools in partcular produce and not a single person raises a question as to why. No one can honestly rationalize how 2 schools that are exactly 5.9 miles apart will have won (after Saturday) ALL 8 state championships in the last 4 years for their 2 classifications. No one can honestly say that no other area of the state can't have a hiccup of athletes that could beat either team over the 4 year span. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

I did see a jackalope head mounted once. It was on Ronnie Carter's office wall. Just kidding. /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" />

I completely agree with you. No one can tell you what a level playing field is. I support a 4A public - alumnus, currently live in zone, and kids will attend. There is NOT a level playing field now. I'm amazed at the ludicrous results two schools in partcular produce and not a single person raises a question as to why. No one can honestly rationalize how 2 schools that are exactly 5.9 miles apart will have won (after Saturday) ALL 8 state championships in the last 4 years for their 2 classifications. No one can honestly say that no other area of the state can't have a hiccup of athletes that could beat either team over the 4 year span. /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" />

Are you close to this "epicenter" of football? If so, run for cover! I too wonder why no one, except for those teams that end of having to play them, ever say anything. When those from my school (who have a date this weekend with one of these) bring it up, those from this area act hurt, insulted, and haughty. What's the matter with the TSSAA and its member schools, can't everyone see it and stand up to it? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Are you close to this "epicenter" of football? If so, run for cover! I too wonder why no one, except for those teams that end of having to play them, ever say anything. When those from my school (who have a date this weekend with one of these) bring it up, those from this area act hurt, insulted, and haughty. What's the matter with the TSSAA and its member schools, can't everyone see it and stand up to it? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Ah! It is refreshing for someone to finally agree with me on this point. Or at least be man enough to second the motion. Usually when I bring it up, the statement is followed by crickets.

It is a strange little hush-hush thing. I've seen the irrate answers - great coaching, great tradition, blah, blah, blah. But reading on this board, those are the same things that could fit a BA, MBA, CBHS, MUS, etc - but when they excel it is automatically labeled cheating and a witchhunt ensues.

Good luck on Saturday! One, because I have many a friend that graduated from Goodpasture. Two, I know many of the non-football coaches and I know they are all anxious to get over the "great coaching, great tradition, blah, blah, blah" hump. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />