Road to title is private property

Bighurt

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you close to this "epicenter" of football? If so, run for cover! I too wonder why no one, except for those teams that end of having to play them, ever say anything. When those from my school (who have a date this weekend with one of these) bring it up, those from this area act hurt, insulted, and haughty. What's the matter with the TSSAA and its member schools, can't everyone see it and stand up to it? /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Here is my take on great programs like Maryville, Alcoa, Fulton (all together in K-ville), Riverdale, TC etc.....GREAT!!!

It is programs like those that we should be holding ourselves up to, not trying to figure out why or how they cheated to get there. I respect and admire all the players, parents, and coaches at those schools and at lots of other really good public programs (South Pitt springs to mind, Milan, Huntingdon, Tyner, etc.) Those are the programs that used to pound the snot out of us (and still do sometimes lol) and that we struggled for years to emulate. I am glad they are around.

But the same standard of judgement needs to be applied to good private school programs. GP, DLHS, some of the other alphabet schools from Middle TN, Knox Catholic in the East, JCS in the West are all good programs (not nearly as dominating as a rule as the publics I mentioned, but good programs) but somehow they all cheat and have mysterious advantages when they win. The super dominators that are publics don't. It is a mystery to me similar to the question "What color do smurfs turn when you choke them?"

My only conclusion is that it is plain old prejudice and the privates are gonna get 'seperate but equal' status. I wonder why that wasn't ok racially but it IS ok to do to kids who make a religious education choice? Can't figure that one either...

Here are a couple more I can't figure: Why was it ok for the publics to ALWAYS play the privates for the history of the state until some of the smaller privates got pretty good and BA got great and then suddenly it wasn't ok anymore? Don't we punish our kids for acting like that on the playground? The whole "If I can't win I quit and I'm taking my ball and going home" thing...shoudn't that end in about 2nd grade? And I thought America was about competing and getting better? When did I miss the changeover to excellence = dishonesty so mediocrity = good?

/blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Here is my take on great programs like Maryville, Alcoa, Fulton (all together in K-ville), Riverdale, TC etc.....GREAT!!!

It is programs like those that we should be holding ourselves up to, not trying to figure out why or how they cheated to get there. I respect and admire all the players, parents, and coaches at those schools and at lots of other really good public programs (South Pitt springs to mind, Milan, Huntingdon, Tyner, etc.) Those are the programs that used to pound the snot out of us (and still do sometimes lol) and that we struggled for years to emulate. I am glad they are around.

But the same standard of judgement needs to be applied to good private school programs. GP, DLHS, some of the other alphabet schools from Middle TN, Knox Catholic in the East, JCS in the West are all good programs (not nearly as dominating as a rule as the publics I mentioned, but good programs) but somehow they all cheat and have mysterious advantages when they win. The super dominators that are publics don't. It is a mystery to me similar to the question "What color do smurfs turn when you choke them?"

My only conclusion is that it is plain old prejudice and the privates are gonna get 'seperate but equal' status. I wonder why that wasn't ok racially but it IS ok to do to kids who make a religious education choice? Can't figure that one either...

Here are a couple more I can't figure: Why was it ok for the publics to ALWAYS play the privates for the history of the state until some of the smaller privates got pretty good and BA got great and then suddenly it wasn't ok anymore? Don't we punish our kids for acting like that on the playground? The whole "If I can't win I quit and I'm taking my ball and going home" thing...shoudn't that end in about 2nd grade? And I thought America was about competing and getting better? When did I miss the changeover to excellence = dishonesty so mediocrity = good?

/blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" /> /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Good post Coach. My conclusion too is that it is plain old prejudice which ended being supported by the good ole TSSAA. /smile.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

I 100% believe you are correct. Prejudice drives the discussion - otherwise, Maryville and Alcoa would be the primary whipping posts.

I will say that the community that I live in has more of a problem with Maryville and that dang Hillboro that we can't get past that is open zoned as well than they do with privates. We do lose a lot of athletes to privates due to our proximity to the Metro Nashville privates - particularly DCA, Friendship, Goodpasture and to a lesser extent Ezell. However, the folks in town don't see them as "lost" players. They just exercised their right to be educated and participate in extracurriculars at other institutions.

• 4 weeks later...

If TSSAA would give small publics 20,000$ per season to help them catch their facilities up to those of the privates so they could "DRAW" athletes to their program like privates do would be an easier way to level the playing field.

If you all believe that 11 on 11 or 5 on 5 is all their is to a sport and that money and size of school and quality facilities have nothing to do with winning then why don't all privates play 4A or 5A. I mean you can only put 11 kids on the field at one time right. Those kids at Maryville aren't born with a big "S" on their chest are they. Sounds fair to me.

I don't think you even want to go to the $$$$ thing.

BTW I have consistently advocated no classification for athletics in Tennessee. You can go back and check if you want to.