Inter-Mountain Conference

DZbettin

to respond to Eyes From Above, this group of seniors are working on 3 losing seasons in a row. unfortunately the lady pats had their second losing season in a row last year. it may not get much better this season due to the schedule in front of them. they play sevier co tonight who has only lost one game. briarcrest in the first round of that christmas tournament

wasn't able to make the game tonight but i did talk to someone that went and the girls did have a 14 point lead at the half. to my understanding the lack of rebounding in the second half was a big problem. these girls don't seem to play well together most of the time. there are 3 or 4 "me" players on this group.

the only consistent scoring production they are getting is from nelson. none of the seniors have stepped it up yet.

endguard mentioned 5 in, 5 out--- what do you all think of that kind of rotation?

I don't know about 3 or 4 me players, but there's one for sure. When you try and drive against 3 players that were all taller than you and you lucky and get bailed out with a foul which was probably a bad call. On top of that you get the ball with over 8 seconds to go in the 3rd quarter. You look directly at the clock and you slowly dribble up court and throw up a half court shot without looking for anyone else. Not to mention several turnovers. 3 to start the game. She's a great little player but one person cannot do it. She is going to have to realize there are other players on the court and play under control. She looked great on one fast break with a beautiful assist but that's the only one I remember. It's hard to step up when they rarely touch the ball unless there's a play being run. I think a lot of the stepping up each girl has to look in herself and see what they're made of. Defense and rebounding went away the second half but Fulton did start making some shots. 5 in 5 out might work with the right combo.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I can say is that every game is going to have bad calls. That is part of it. No one is perfect. Teams should not let themselves get in a situation where a call at the end of the game can change the outcome. Play the way you should the first 31 minutes and you won't have to worry about crying about a call.

Greeneville plays Elizabethton tonight. Elizabethton has size on the post, but don't see their post players scoring with their back to the basket. Greeneville wins tonight by 16.

I don't know about 3 or 4 me players, but there's one for sure. When you try and drive against 3 players that were all taller than you and you lucky and get bailed out with a foul which was probably a bad call. On top of that you get the ball with over 8 seconds to go in the 3rd quarter. You look directly at the clock and you slowly dribble up court and throw up a half court shot without looking for anyone else. Not to mention several turnovers. 3 to start the game. She's a great little player but one person cannot do it. She is going to have to realize there are other players on the court and play under control. She looked great on one fast break with a beautiful assist but that's the only one I remember. It's hard to step up when they rarely touch the ball unless there's a play being run. I think a lot of the stepping up each girl has to look in herself and see what they're made of. Defense and rebounding went away the second half but Fulton did start making some shots. 5 in 5 out might work with the right combo.

In response to lastlaps comments, I've been to most of the Jeff games this year. If the guard didn't try to make something happen the scoring would be even less than what it presently is. The games I've attended she passes on a regular basis but everyone stands flatfooted and doesn't seem to try and execute a designed play. There are 3 starting seniors on this team and 1 or all of them need to step up and take charge of this team. I agree 1 person can't do it all it takes all five on that floor working together. I don't presently see that. Hopefully, they will get it together and turn the season around. GO LADY PATRIOTS........

With last nights OT loss at home to Pigeon Forge, the Lady Red fall to 6-6. With 12 games in and 13 to go, it is time for a mid-season break down for the Lady Red.

Biggest Event #1. By far, the loss of Courtney Lewis to a knew injury. Our most effective and consistent offensive player through the summer and the first 8 games, Courtney's injury has forced our girls to play new positions and brought into play a very inexperienced bench. This is her 3rd year as a starter and she made the All-Tournament Team at the Chop House tournament. Her 11-12 points and 5 boards and very long arms are missed greatly. If she returns this year, it will not be before late January. I expect her not to be back before the start of volleyball next fall - she is an all-IMAC volleyball player. I know injuries are part of the game. But when these kids are in and out of your home regularly - injuries just stink! We have lost 3 games by 7 points in her absence and only won at Claiborne.

Biggest Event #2. Finishing 2nd in the Chop House Tournament. Beat Farragut and Karns and lost to Sevier in the finals. We played well and there was lots of excitement about the season after that tournament.

Biggest surprise. With injuries also comes opportunities. With Courtney not playing, our 6.2 freshmen Allie Sprouse has logged more minutes. While the game has not slowed down for her yet, she has made an impact. She has a long way to go offensively, but has good fundamentals like not bringing the ball down and not swatting blocks. She keep us in the game at Cherokee with her multiple blocks of their post. She and the freshman post at Cherokee will be a lot of fun to watch as they develop. Also, sophomore Jalese Pruitt has stepped in offensively. She is the only one of our players who learned the game on the playground and not from coaches. That is a plus for us. When she learns to play the game on the other end, she will be a very good player.

Mid-season evaluation: Missed opportunities. We had a chance to win the Chop House and came out flat and let Sevier make 10 3's against us, knowing that they could do that - we have several who play with the several from Sevier on a AAU team. We also lost at East and at Cherokee after leading very late in both games. Win both of those and then we are 3-1 with four of the last six at home. BUT - now we are in a big hole.

Lackof Confidence: We have one of the best players in the league in Shannon Depew. Her rebounding is strong. Her ball handling is good. She is basketball smart (and academcially smart too). I have watched her make mid-range jump shots for years. She cannot buy a basket and really hasn't all season. Without Courtney, she is our best scoring option, but she is passing up shots, taking wild shots and has just lost her confidence. We play in the Pilot Tournament after Christmas. I would happily lose all three if Shannon could find, not her shot, but her confidnece. If she find her confidnece she will make plays.

Predictions: Our defense has been better than average. I think we have given up only 50 points three times. I think that it will continue to be not great, but OK, unless we lose our desire. With Courtney, we had Buda, Suggs, Lewis and Depew who could force turnovers that leads to baskets. Without her, we don't have enough defensive pressure to score off of. But we have an OK defense. Our transition offensive is also better than average. We want to be pressed - while we may give up some possessions we have a better chance to score in transition. Our half-court offensive is just poor especially against an in your face man defense. Last night's game was very reminiscent of 2 years ago when we lost 29 ball games and out offense consisted of someone driving and forcing a shot or shooting a long range shot. It took us overtime just to score 40 points. I guess the sad thing about Courtney's injury is that for the first time for the basically 2 years that the starters have been on the floor is that they were actually running and executing an offensive. Now we are back to the drawing board - just lost. With the exception of Greenville, we will not be over matched in any game. However, unless we become committed to some kind of offensive system that gives our players good looks, I am not sure of how many wins we will actually get. That feeling is based on watching this very ineffective system for many years - we have just changed the players. Still, a confident Depw and Buda will get some wins.

To close on a positive note: Long-term a Lewis-(a stronger) Sprouse-Depew line with Suggs and Buda running out front with Lloyd and Pruitt and a 3rd guard (still waiting for one to step forward) coming in could still be a very good team. I think that our JV team, made up of 10 freshman has only lost to Greenville

If you read all of this, thanks for letting me vent my frustrations.

A lot of offensive issues for Cocke County...

There seems to be little attacking of the offense. Little throws into the post. Depew gets the ball 15-19 feet from the hoop. Lots of settling for long jumpers for a team that has only hit around 25 three's this year.

Very little creation of transition baskets, either.

Defensively, without Sprouse's 6-foot frame in there, they are virtually playing four-on-five it seems. Too many easy baskets/offensive rebounds on the backside are being allowed.

Greeneville, in my opinion, is the best team in Upper East Tennessee in all classifications. They are not flashy, except Dickson at times, but they get it done the traditional way. You simply cannot score consistently against their defense. Dickson will get her points, and if you double or triple team her, the other players are good enough to beat you. They are not huge and depth may be a slight concern, but they will win the IMAC. I do not think they are unbeatable and may slip a time or two on an off night, but they are the best team. I think they have a good shot to return to the state tournament. Eventually, they will run in to a bigger more athletic team, but it may be in Murfreesboro.

Greeneville, in my opinion, is the best team in Upper East Tennessee in all classifications. They are not flashy, except Dickson at times, but they get it done the traditional way. You simply cannot score consistently against their defense. Dickson will get her points, and if you double or triple team her, the other players are good enough to beat you. They are not huge and depth may be a slight concern, but they will win the IMAC. I do not think they are unbeatable and may slip a time or two on an off night, but they are the best team. I think they have a good shot to return to the state tournament. Eventually, they will run in to a bigger more athletic team, but it may be in Murfreesboro.

Thats the first time I have ever seen someone call Nicole "flashy" /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> As for depth, I understand Crumbly has a first rate bench as usual.

I'd have to say that I agree with that assessment. They can be beat, but you can't say they aren't the favorites to go the farthest.