Inter-Mountain Conference

DZbettin

Here is the tourney schedule..

As gogreene posted last night, the fifth and sixth seeds are dependent on the result of Greeneville and West next Saturday. A West win makes them #5. Otherwise Jefferson County is the 5.

Opening Round

Wednesday, February 13

Game 1 - 6 PM - #4 Cherokee vs. #5 Jefferson County/Morristown West

Game 2 - 7:30 PM - #3 Morristown East vs. #6 Jefferson County/Morristown West

Semifinals

Friday, February 15

Game 3 - 6 PM - #1 Greeneville vs. Winner of Game 1

Game 4 - 7:30 PM - #2 Cocke County vs. Winner of Game 2

Finals

Monday, February 19

Game 5 (Consolation) - 6 PM - Loser of Game 3 vs. Loser of Game 4

Game 6 (Championship) - 7:30 PM - Winner of Game 3 vs Winner of Game 4

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the tourney schedule..

As gogreene posted last night, the fifth and sixth seeds are dependent on the result of Greeneville and West next Saturday. A West win makes them #5. Otherwise Jefferson County is the 5.

Opening Round

Wednesday, February 13

Game 1 - 6 PM - #4 Cherokee vs. #5 Jefferson County/Morristown West

Game 2 - 7:30 PM - #3 Morristown East vs. #6 Jefferson County/Morristown West

Semifinals

Friday, February 15

Game 3 - 6 PM - #1 Greeneville vs. Winner of Game 1

Game 4 - 7:30 PM - #2 Cocke County vs. Winner of Game 2

Finals

Monday, February 19

Game 5 (Consolation) - 6 PM - Loser of Game 3 vs. Loser of Game 4

Game 6 (Championship) - 7:30 PM - Winner of Game 3 vs Winner of Game 4

If West wins, will the 5/6 seeding be decided by a coin flip, or record against # 1 seed, etc? I know it is already decided, I am curious what meathod they used.

As the district season is now over(almost), it is time for awards. Granted these awards are bias, not so much tilted to Cocke County, but on the fact that I have only seen everybody else play twice (3 times with East) this year. I will do this over three days, so not to bore you with long posts.

Player of the Year. Hands down to Nicole Dickson, Greeneville. Best player on the best team. Sweet mid-range jump shot, quick off her feet, helps bring the ball up the court, and guards our best player as well as a good help defender. Since the days of those Newport Grammar and Greenville Middle scrimmages, she has just been fun to watch. She had 23 points in one half against us this year. I am not a good evaluator of higher schoolers playing in college. I am not sure on a D1 level where she will play. I assume a 3 or a 2. If she is going to a 2, I think her range needs to improve or she just may need to take more 3s than I see. If she is going to a 3, I thinks she needs to get closer to the rim with her shot to go along with mid-range shot. I think I see her as a Alexis Hornbuckle kind of player.

Runner Up. Shannon Depew, CCHS. Based purely on the second half of the season. Through last summer and the fall into the early season, Courtney Lewis and Shannon were becoming a good 1-2 punch. When Courtney went out, lots of focus of our offensive went to Shannon and Shannon just struggled and we lost three of four and in two of those losses Shannon had point blank shots to win or tie at the end and missed both. She lost her confidence. When Coach ONeil changed our offensive over Christmas and got more people involved, Shannon regained her confidence. Makes her mid-range shots, brings ball up the court against pressure, guards best offensive big person, blocks shots, and a strong rebounder. Though CCHS is getting better without her on the court, she has to be on the court for us to be consistent. Last half of the year a very solid player with much of the same attributes as Dickson.

Honorable Mention. Kayla Orrick, East. Perhaps a surprise pick. I believe she is the what makes East go. She has size and strength. She has a nice close in shot. Maybe does not have the statistics of others, but is very key in East winning. Made a basket with 2 seconds to go to beat us. She literally plays behind the basket and draws at least 1 defender if not more, allowing Leeper and Swagerty (?) the lane to drive. She also rebounds well and her outlets are to mid-court allowing East to run and when they can run, they can put up lots of points. When she stays on the court and out of foul trouble, East is good offensive team.

Tomorrow: Coach of the Year

I agree with your picks, ladyred. I think the coach of the year goes to Johnny Galyon, hands down. He took a team of two freshman, 3 sophmores, 3 juniors, and on senior and did really well with them. They were hungry and out to win in the first half of the season. They had a huge bump when Sidney tore her ACL, but other than the 2nd Cocke County game have played everybody close. They ought to get the "lost by 2" award this year. He has played almost every game with only 8 players, some games with as few as six and seven. What could he have done with a full roster?

Galyon is a very valid choice. He did a great job w/ not a lot of healthy bodies but when they did play they did have a lot of talent. If west can stay out of the training room next year, watch out Greeneville in the 08-09 season. Might finally make Greeneville work extra hard to keep their title.

District tourny at Hal Henard...the first round games and the 2nd round #2 vs. 3/6 will be officiated just like the Green Bank Classic Games, but that 2nd round Greeneville game will be officiated just like a Greeneville home game. So be ready for a war #4/5 team b/c its gonna feel 8 on 5. But that is the luxury of having home court advantage. I'm still trying to figure out how an AD can just let that kind of advantage get away from him. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Should be very interesting and can't wait to see some exciting basketball b/c there is always that upset in the making during that IMAC Tourny. Good luck.

Continuing with the post-season awards. Please remember these awards are biased, based not just on watching CCHS play, but also I saw everybody else only twice.

Coach of the Year: Patrick O'Neil. Yes, PO from Cocke County! I base my decision on the following factors:

1. He developed depth. PTS pre-season newspaper article stated correctly that the biggest question mark of the season for CCHS would be depth. The season started with 5 players (3 returning starters) who had lots of experience and no one else who had any significant varsity minutes, only one other had even dressed on the varsity team. And, then after 8 games, your 3-year double-digit scorer starter has a season ending injury. He has added 4 people to the rotation including 2 freshmen and 2 sophomores. All of them have contributed. His choice to include Nicole Ball as the third guard was a bit surprising early on, just because there are 3 or 4 good freshman guards. Nicole has justified his choice of her with several big time baskets and has not hurt the team on the court. She has done very well. PO developed depth. We, too, now play 8 people with no seniors - 2 jrs., 4 sophomores and 2 freshman.

2. He changed the offensive. When Courtney got hurt and then we lost and looked lost, he changed the offensive and brought Allie Spourse and Jalese Pruit into the mix and we have won 9 out of 10. I cannot overstate the fact that when Courtney got hurt we were in serious trouble - to quote my post following our loss to Pigeon Forge - our third loss in four games - when we only scored 38 points in regulation - "this is frightenly similar to our 29 loss season."

3. Game Decisions. In the last 2 conference games, when Cherokee was making a run and they called time out to set a play, PO changed defenses and Cherokee was confused, didn't score, we stopped their run and won comfortably. Against Jeff, their cutters scored early on our man defense, and he changed to switching on the cutters in the second half. Jeff had to do something else to score. PO has not always had many options to work with, this year he has shown he can make in-game decisions.

4. Most importantly, we have won. 2 years ago, some of these girls lost 29 games and there were many calls for a new coach. PO and these girls are trying to change the idea about Cocke County. With 1 win in the last 3 games, we will match last year's regular season win total in two less games in a more demanding schedule (last year's non-conference schedule was not very strong). We have won our six district wins by 9.6 points, lost our 2 non-Greeneville games by a total of three points. There are still many holes on this team, but he has brought this team to the point of respectability. He is a man of few words, not a lot of intensity and has treated our girls very well. He is a good coach who will become a great coach when he can convince himself and his team they can beat Greeneville.

Runner Up: Coach Crumbly, Greeneville. While I want to put Coach Gaylon here because a healthy West team is a very dangerous young team, I just can't ignore one of my convictions that especially on the high school level where coaches teach, good talent still needs good coaching. And Greeneville is still the best in our conference. I just love the way she teaches defense especially help defense. And she has created (or perhaps continued) an attitude that they are just going to win. No different this year. They have had a very demanding schedule. This is not just a Dickson and everybody else team. Dickson and Collins sat out most of the first half in our 2nd Greeneville game and they did not miss a beat

Honorable Mention: Johnny Gaylon, West. Not for overcoming injuries, but because he is the only coach who believes that he can beat Greeneville. He has done it often, done it once this year and may do it again this year.

Tomorrow: All Conference Team and Specialty Awards

My final of three installments on post seasons awards. I debated on how to name a team: 1st five and 2nd five at positions. Or best 10. Or making sure every team is represented. Actually, I don't know that there would be much difference, though if I chose best 10, I would probably put 4 on the team from Greeneville. I have decided to have all 6 teams represented with Greeneville getting 3 spots, CCHS and East being 2nd and 3rd respectively, getting 2 spots.

All IMAC:

Greenville: Collins, Dickson and McIntier (?sp)

CCHS: Buda and Depew

East: Leeper and Orrick

Cherokee: Price (over Ewing)

Jeff: the hardest decision reducing this to one person. I am going with a senior who has given us fits: Elliot.

West: Smith

Honorable Mention with a bullet climbing fast: Prewitt from CCHS

Freshman of the Year. I really like the offensive skills of Ryans from Cherokee and the defensive presence of Sprouse from CCHS. Both tall lanky girls who both really contribute to their respective teams. However, the winner for me is Smith from West. A great shooter and a very polished player. I look for big thinks from her. She and Goins are two very good talents for West.

Special Recognition and Best Wishes to quick and healthy recoveries: Goins and Courtney Lewis.

Best Games: (though I saw neither)

1. The East/Jeff overtime game

2. West over Greeneville

Thanks for the Memories Awards: Kelsey Elliot and Ashley Price. For three years, these names have been banished around our home and at school like we know these girls and I don't - just by a number on a uniform. We played Cherokee 7 times in 3 years and won 1 game - all close and Ashley Price made free throws, got a rebound, or got a loose ball or something in the last seconds of those games to seal the win for them. I don't know her plans, but she is much like a coach on the floor, can keep on playing if she wants and then become a good coach.

I have two memories of Kelsey Elliot that remind me that these are still somebody's daughters and that this is still just a game. First is when she was a sophomore playing against us at Jeff and she made 5 or 6 3's that night. After the last one she was so excited she must have jump 2 feet in the air. The second one was last Friday night after her last home game after she was recognized and after she had spoken to the crowd as everyone was leaving the floor and the boys were warming up, there was a very long, very emotional hug between her and her former coach - Coach Potts.

Best wishes to both and to all seniors

That is enough awards. I apologize if I spelled names wrong. If you actually read all this, thanks (it was raining and the pre-Super Bowl wasn't interesting to me.) Best of luck to all teams to finish strong. I expect a good tournament next week and while Greenville is favored, I expect somebody to challenge them. I also expect the winner of West/East (I don't think West will win against Greeneville this weekend but if they get to the finals against Greeneville who knows?) and CCHS to play on Friday night and for it to be very close. The winner of that game will get a home regional game and I expect them - whoever it is - to win. Our conference needs to step up and have someone besides Greeneville win a regional game.

On an update. CCHS defeated G-P in overtime last night to go 16-6. We had a big lead in the 2nd quarter and just made silly mistakes. First game in quite some time where many fouls both ways were called. Buda, Prewitt and Sprouse were limited in playing time due to fouls. We shot 29 free throws and GP shot at least that many. We hit a better percentage but not nearly enough. Played well in overtime.

Coach Crumbley is an absolute joke and has been since she got the Greeneville job. She has had a surplus of talent since the day she walked through the door. Anyone who knows anything about basketball can clearly see she has no idea about the game. She sits in on Coach Duncans practicing attempting to get some clue about how a real coach does things. If you listen to what she has to say on the sidelines, or if your lucky enough to hear what she has to say in the locker room, its clear she is an idiot. In between the vulgarities that comesfrom her mouth in the locker room at half time, are shouts of nonsense. She has been to the state tournament but lets face it, east tennessee girls basketball is weak and that why she has one. None of the wins should be credited to her coaching. If you had a chance to see Coach Berkey you could obviously see that was a coach with basketball knowledge. Crumbley played the game but doesn't understand the game. Nicole and above good players have been the Greeneville program and it has nothing to do with her coaching. Think I'm wrong, sit in on one of her practices and see for yourself. I have seen plenty and she doesn't know a dang thing.

First off i jus want ot start this off by saying i have played basketball at greeneville for 4 years and have had the privelege to play under coach burkey and coach crumbley. All 4 of those years i have hated to look at this website because of the crap that is posted on here..... this website has not been set up to bash players and coaches but to talk about athletics in TN. Im not on here to get hateful or to make a big deal over anything... yes everyone has his or her own opinion but wat is the point of getting on her and bashing a high school player or even a coach. If it bothers you that much about the person please do the grown up thing and talk to him or her in person! About Coach Crumbley, I am 1 of the 4 girls that have graduated under her and love the woman to death. Im pretty sure if you ask any of the 4 of us there not gunna say mean things bout her. i am astonished to hear what you and it seems like everyone else on here have said bout her. I mean really sit down and think bout wat you have said.... what coach doesnt get mad and yell and say things? And yes maybe she has watched some of Coach Duncan's practice but a coach is jus like a player... they continue to learn new things to get better! Coach Duncan has a lot of knowledge of the game and i bet most people would love to get a few pointers from him. i know there has been alot of coaches that have. To get on here and degrate her like that is just really childish! So pretty much i didnt get on here to be hateful or anything but the truth of the matter is that there are somethings that just dont need to be said... seriously if you have a problem with the lady greeneville basketball program or how coach crumbley does it maybe you should go talk to her bout it rather than all of Tn on here!!!

Coach O.Neil should be coach of the year. Coach Crumbley did a good job but was expected to do so. O'Neil did a great job w/ ayoung team and battled when injuries occurred.

I concur w/ the bashing. It's childish and uncalled for. Coach Crumbley is doing the right thing by sitting in on Coach Duncan's practices. Anybody with any sense would do so because of his abilities as a coach. Bashers need to man up and talk to these people or remain cowards and hide behind the screen.