DZbettin

2007-08 all conference selection

Collins,McIntier - Player of the year-Dickson

Budda,Depew

Leeper

Price,Ewing

Nelson

Smith

the list looks fine but i'm curious here, who chooses this? opposing conf. coaches? does it come down to which kids led in scoring or does someone actually assess the players all around basketball talent? just curious.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the list looks fine but i'm curious here, who chooses this? opposing conf. coaches? does it come down to which kids led in scoring or does someone actually assess the players all around basketball talent? just curious.

In the volleyball in the past, coaches choose the all-conference teams...don't know about bb

That's the way most sports are done in this area.

That's not this years official list, though.

The girls are usually announced after the finals and the boys are announced after the last conference team has been eliminated.

Same as vb.....I think it is wise to wait....all conf. and all tourney are 2 different honors, correct? (in BB) Those two lists could be very different..... /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

With wins by Greeneville, Cocke County, & Cherokee, the top 4 seeds should be set for the upcoming district tournament.

#1 Greeneville 8-1

#2 Cocke County 6-4

#3 Morristown East 5-5 (by virtue of the season sweep of Cherokee)

#4 Cheokee 5-5

#5 & #6 will come down to next Saturday night when West plays at Geeneville.

If Greeneville wins Jeff County gets the #5 seed.

If West wins, Jeff County and West are tied at 3-7 and they split during the regular season. If it goes to head to head against the #1 seed, thn West will get the #5 seed.

The importance of the # 5 seed is that the winner of the 4-5 game gets Greeneville on their home floor in the semi-finals.

First for the Lady Red of Cocke County the good news.

They went on the road tonight and won a district game, winning now 9 of the last 10 including 5 of the last 6 district games, (losing only to Greenville) and claiming that there would be no coin flip this year. Last year, the Lady Red was 4-4 with 2 to play and in control of 2nd place only to lose both. This year, they were 4-4, not nearly as in control and won both to claim 2nd and a spot in the regionals. While I am not sure, this is the first time in at least a decade that the Lady Red have claimed an automatic spot into the regionals. While it is not always pretty, a new star is emerging for the Lady Red in Jalse Prewitt - 14 of the first 18 points and all 8 in the rotation are making some contributions to our wins. While I am still not sure how to classify us, we are making enough plays to win ball games. We are not a good outside shooting team nor a good free throw shooting team, but in the last 2 minutes tonight - we made a three, controlled the ball w/o a turnover, and went 5 of 6 from the line. Being down at least by 4 early in the 4th quarter and Jeff being in the double bonus already, we did come back. As always, some interesting calls - some went our way and some didn't, but we did find a way to win. This team is maturing, painfully slow, but they are getting better. Remember, we played 8 girls tonight - 2 Jr's, 4 sophomores, and 2 freshman and three of those girls have been in the doctors office in the past 2 days for flu symptoms.

Now the bad news - I heard 8 - 23 on the free throw line (PTS will know for sure) - I didn't think we were that good. That simply will not win ball games. Actually, we had been getting better since Christmas until this week and we have gone in the tank. We have made the regional tournament, trying to win the next district game in the tournament in order to host that game, but it simply will not matter shooting sub-50%! Outside of our free throws, we played OK - we gave up a few too many offensive rebounds for my taste, we simply have to make free throws!

All that said, we have three winnable games left in order to match last years win total and have claimed the bye - not bad for a team without depth to start the season and lost to injury at least its second best player for most of the season.

First for the Lady Red of Cocke County the good news.

They went on the road tonight and won a district game, winning now 9 of the last 10 including 5 of the last 6 district games, (losing only to Greenville) and claiming that there would be no coin flip this year. Last year, the Lady Red was 4-4 with 2 to play and in control of 2nd place only to lose both. This year, they were 4-4, not nearly as in control and won both to claim 2nd and a spot in the regionals. While I am not sure, this is the first time in at least a decade that the Lady Red have claimed an automatic spot into the regionals. While it is not always pretty, a new star is emerging for the Lady Red in Jalse Prewitt - 14 of the first 18 points and all 8 in the rotation are making some contributions to our wins. While I am still not sure how to classify us, we are making enough plays to win ball games. We are not a good outside shooting team nor a good free throw shooting team, but in the last 2 minutes tonight - we made a three, controlled the ball w/o a turnover, and went 5 of 6 from the line. Being down at least by 4 early in the 4th quarter and Jeff being in the double bonus already, we did come back. As always, some interesting calls - some went our way and some didn't, but we did find a way to win. This team is maturing, painfully slow, but they are getting better. Remember, we played 8 girls tonight - 2 Jr's, 4 sophomores, and 2 freshman and three of those girls have been in the doctors office in the past 2 days for flu symptoms.

Now the bad news - I heard 8 - 23 on the free throw line (PTS will know for sure) - I didn't think we were that good. That simply will not win ball games. Actually, we had been getting better since Christmas until this week and we have gone in the tank. We have made the regional tournament, trying to win the next district game in the tournament in order to host that game, but it simply will not matter shooting sub-50%! Outside of our free throws, we played OK - we gave up a few too many offensive rebounds for my taste, we simply have to make free throws!

All that said, we have three winnable games left in order to match last years win total and have claimed the bye - not bad for a team without depth to start the season and lost to injury at least its second best player for most of the season.

9-for-23 at the line. Started 1-of-12....

Hit 7-of-9 in the final 2:45 for crunch time though.

Nice post LadyRedFan. Very nice team. Jeff just couldn't match Cocke County's size down the stretch. I'll agree with you on the calls they went both ways for the most part. IMAC Refs /sleep.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="-_-" border="0" alt="sleep.gif" /> are horrible and that's being kind. You see kids thrown all of the floor with contact everywhere and they call nothing. Then call a ticky tack foul. Par for the course I guess. Someone will get hurt someday and I fear what some /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" /> angry parent will do. Hopefully I'm wrong. /unsure.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":unsure:" border="0" alt="unsure.gif" /> /wacko.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":wacko:" border="0" alt="wacko.gif" />