Inter-Mountain Conference

DZbettin

There is no one more deserving of Coach of the year than Gaylon. Not a fan of his but he can flat out coach. Greeneville and Cocke County's coach's have had great years but they also have a lot more talent then West in my opinion. At least heathy talent. West does have one thing that most teams don't and that's heart. Got to credit his team with that but Galyon in steals it in them.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no one more deserving of Coach of the year than Gaylon. Not a fan of his but he can flat out coach. Greeneville and Cocke County's coach's have had great years but they also have a lot more talent then West in my opinion. At least heathy talent. West does have one thing that most teams don't and that's heart. Got to credit his team with that but Galyon in steals it in them.

I now have to agree.

Cocke County played 32 minutes of basketball tonight at the precise tempo Gaylon wanted to see. Some times it was clock management and other times it was up-tempo. The only thing consistant is that it was at all times Gaylon's decision what the tempo would be.

He also forced Cocke County to move away from their inside game.

The Lady Red scored 38 points from their big 3 (Pruitt, Depew and Sprouse) in the last game. He pretty much went zone, confused Cocke County and forced them to settle for jumpers and three's. They did hit a season-high 5 3-pointers, but it took them 18 shots to do that.

Cocke County's offense doesn't look to attack the basket enough in my opinion. They had 18 points from the guards in the game, and 12 came with three-point shots. Both Suggs and Buda are quick enough to get to the basket, much as West did with Fanney.

In my observation, he really likes these girls and is deeply interested in their development as players and as successful young ladies. These girls have heart before they get to Galyon, or they would never make it to a West Varsity bench. He has the ability to see their heart and combine their desire play with the ability to build their skills. He teaches them to love the game, and all it has to offer. He shows them that hard work does not promise reward, but reward is not received without hard work.

I agree with your picks, ladyred. I think the coach of the year goes to Johnny Galyon, hands down. He took a team of two freshman, 3 sophmores, 3 juniors, and on senior and did really well with them. They were hungry and out to win in the first half of the season. They had a huge bump when Sidney tore her ACL, but other than the 2nd Cocke County game have played everybody close. They ought to get the "lost by 2" award this year. He has played almost every game with only 8 players, some games with as few as six and seven. What could he have done with a full roster?

NUFF SAID!!! /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

The Lady Trojans came up with a big win tonight against Cocke Co. in a very well played basketball game. The no. 6 seed has now knocked off nos. 2 & 3. Can they do it one more time? It will be a tough match-up but West seems to be the only team with Greeneville's number of late. They are the only district team to beat the Lady Devils (at home) and lost only by 4 at Greeneville. Good luck Lady Trojans and good luck to all the IMAC teams in the region tournament.

West definately has shown the rest of the IMAC teams how to handle Greeneville but does anyone really think that the Lady Devils can be beat on their home floor? Didn't West have a chance last Saturday but didn't GHS get to the foul line with no problem? Didn't it look like the home team got the home court advantage in the fourth quarter in that game against Cherokee-attacking GHS and not getting any fouls from dribble penetration from outside in? It will be tough for West but the best of luck to them... Galyon's done a great job with his quickness- but remember that this is on GHS court... Oh and what is the Lady Devil's record at home anyway???Just a thought. It will be an interesting game no doubt./popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

As the district season is now over(almost), it is time for awards. Granted these awards are bias, not so much tilted to Cocke County, but on the fact that I have only seen everybody else play twice (3 times with East) this year. I will do this over three days, so not to bore you with long posts.

Player of the Year. Hands down to Nicole Dickson, Greeneville. Best player on the best team. Sweet mid-range jump shot, quick off her feet, helps bring the ball up the court, and guards our best player as well as a good help defender. Since the days of those Newport Grammar and Greenville Middle scrimmages, she has just been fun to watch. She had 23 points in one half against us this year. I am not a good evaluator of higher schoolers playing in college. I am not sure on a D1 level where she will play. I assume a 3 or a 2. If she is going to a 2, I think her range needs to improve or she just may need to take more 3s than I see. If she is going to a 3, I thinks she needs to get closer to the rim with her shot to go along with mid-range shot. I think I see her as a Alexis Hornbuckle kind of player.

Runner Up. Shannon Depew, CCHS. Based purely on the second half of the season. Through last summer and the fall into the early season, Courtney Lewis and Shannon were becoming a good 1-2 punch. When Courtney went out, lots of focus of our offensive went to Shannon and Shannon just struggled and we lost three of four and in two of those losses Shannon had point blank shots to win or tie at the end and missed both. She lost her confidence. When Coach ONeil changed our offensive over Christmas and got more people involved, Shannon regained her confidence. Makes her mid-range shots, brings ball up the court against pressure, guards best offensive big person, blocks shots, and a strong rebounder. Though CCHS is getting better without her on the court, she has to be on the court for us to be consistent. Last half of the year a very solid player with much of the same attributes as Dickson.

Honorable Mention. Kayla Orrick, East. Perhaps a surprise pick. I believe she is the what makes East go. She has size and strength. She has a nice close in shot. Maybe does not have the statistics of others, but is very key in East winning. Made a basket with 2 seconds to go to beat us. She literally plays behind the basket and draws at least 1 defender if not more, allowing Leeper and Swagerty (?) the lane to drive. She also rebounds well and her outlets are to mid-court allowing East to run and when they can run, they can put up lots of points. When she stays on the court and out of foul trouble, East is good offensive team.

Tomorrow: Coach of the Year

Just a question..have you seen any "true" stats from this year? Check and see what senior leads in stats and give credit where credit belongs... I know their is a senior who deserves recognition as POTY or at least runner-up.. you should be able to figure this one out just by watching games or keeping your ears open.. I'll let you figure this one out on your own.. /unsure.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":unsure:" border="0" alt="unsure.gif" />

Just a question..have you seen any "true" stats from this year? Check and see what senior leads in stats and give credit where credit belongs... I know their is a senior who deserves recognition as POTY or at least runner-up.. you should be able to figure this one out just by watching games or keeping your ears open.. I'll let you figure this one out on your own.. /unsure.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":unsure:" border="0" alt="unsure.gif" />

Heres a question for you. Who is it......and if other people have to ask who it is has she made a big enough impact on her team and the conference?

West definately has shown the rest of the IMAC teams how to handle Greeneville but does anyone really think that the Lady Devils can be beat on their home floor? Didn't West have a chance last Saturday but didn't GHS get to the foul line with no problem? Didn't it look like the home team got the home court advantage in the fourth quarter in that game against Cherokee-attacking GHS and not getting any fouls from dribble penetration from outside in? It will be tough for West but the best of luck to them... Galyon's done a great job with his quickness- but remember that this is on GHS court... Oh and what is the Lady Devil's record at home anyway???Just a thought. It will be an interesting game no doubt./popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" /> /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

West is a great team with a very experienced and smart coach. They have been underrated and underappreciated all year. Believe me, we at Greeneville have great respect for their team. As for home floor advantage in the Cherokee game last night, IMO it was non-existant as far as the referees go and there was no student support (as usual) so that couldn't have been a factor either. The referees were pretty much horrible on both ends as usual. In fact, the one from Greeneville usually makes the worst calls against Greeneville. This year Greeneville has lost once at home to Upperman in the Ladies Classic but you can't really go on that because Greeneville hasn't lost much at all this year anywhere else either.

The real difference was that Greeneville is finally realizing they have to make 4th quarter adjustments (anywhere they play, home or away) when they are in a situation where they are close or even behind. They made adjustments to the fact that 2 of Cherokee's best players were in foul trouble and they were approaching the bonus situation. So, they came out of their terribly boring slow-down offense and started attacking the basket and going up strong against defenders drawing legitimate fouls. Collins, Dickson and Kelley did a great job at this although there were many no-calls and they got hammered for it. I, for one as a fan, would love to see them play offense this aggressively more of the time. As for your view that not many fouls were being called on Greeneville, it most likely because they are the best defensive team around and have been taught how to play tenacious defense in legal position.

You're right, it will be a great championship game!

Finally somebody to back me up on this!! I have been saying this about the Big Green all year. Nobody gets a fair shake on their court!!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Finally somebody to back me up on this!! I have been saying this about the Big Green all year. Nobody gets a fair shake on their court!!! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Does anyone have the addresses of the Knoxville refs that are coming to Greeneville for the regionals so i can mail them their payola /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />