Greeneville at Sullivan South

KEV-O

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I has a chance to venture out of Knoxville (I'm a Powell grad and far) and watch the Mo West vs. South game last night. I gotta say I wasn't as impressed with the Phillips kid as all of you guys are. He had some impressive runs but a lot of it just looked like poor tackling by Mo West. I'm a big time skeptic of upper east tennessee football ever since that TN high vs. Maryville debacle back in like the 04 season, but the game just looked a whole lot slower in "death valley" last night. I think that Powell could possibly be better then South this year, and I'm almost certain that West and Halls the number 3 and 4 teams from region three would beat South. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to get on here and say that Curt isn't a ball player. I mean Big Ten schools don't just hand out scholarships lightly. I just was expecting to walk away more impressed then I was after seeing him in person. Now with all that being said I have got to pick South in this game. I have never seen Greeneville play, but I do know it's really hard to beat a good team twice in the same season. Plus correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the last South Greeneville game at GHS? Home field means a lot.

I would like to addess the poster that said that UT should have gotten Curt. That's simply not true. BJ Colemon (the kid from Mccallie who is at UT now) had a much bigger arm then Phillips does from what I saw last night, and BJ isn't close to getting on the field at UT. I hope the kid makes me eat crow about this I would love to see a TN boy starting at Wisconsin, but I just don't see that happening.

Best of luck to both teams, and congratulations the winner of this game gets the winner of the Red Bank Maryville game...what a reward lol.

So I has a chance to venture out of Knoxville (I'm a Powell grad and far) and watch the Mo West vs. South game last night. I gotta say I wasn't as impressed with the Phillips kid as all of you guys are. He had some impressive runs but a lot of it just looked like poor tackling by Mo West. I'm a big time skeptic of upper east tennessee football ever since that TN high vs. Maryville debacle back in like the 04 season, but the game just looked a whole lot slower in "death valley" last night. I think that Powell could possibly be better then South this year, and I'm almost certain that West and Halls the number 3 and 4 teams from region three would beat South. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to get on here and say that Curt isn't a ball player. I mean Big Ten schools don't just hand out scholarships lightly. I just was expecting to walk away more impressed then I was after seeing him in person. Now with all that being said I have got to pick South in this game. I have never seen Greeneville play, but I do know it's really hard to beat a good team twice in the same season. Plus correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the last South Greeneville game at GHS? Home field means a lot.

I would like to addess the poster that said that UT should have gotten Curt. That's simply not true. BJ Colemon (the kid from Mccallie who is at UT now) had a much bigger arm then Phillips does from what I saw last night, and BJ isn't close to getting on the field at UT. I hope the kid makes me eat crow about this I would love to see a TN boy starting at Wisconsin, but I just don't see that happening.

Best of luck to both teams, and congratulations the winner of this game gets the winner of the Red Bank Maryville game...what a reward lol.

So everyone has an opinion, but To say Curt Phillips isn't impressive hasn't been around football as much as you say you have. This kid gives it his all each and every game. Curt has been a leader throughout his career. I believe the Knoxville area has 3 or 4 times more athletes to choose from than this area has. So you should be dominant every year , but your not. Everyone can't be Maryville, but give this area a little credit, we do have some good athletes. Go South Rebels and congratulations on your fine run over the last 3 years, thats something to be proud of.

So everyone has an opinion, but To say Curt Phillips isn't impressive hasn't been around football as much as you say you have. This kid gives it his all each and every game. Curt has been a leader throughout his career. I believe the Knoxville area has 3 or 4 times more athletes to choose from than this area has. So you should be dominant every year , but your not. Everyone can't be Maryville, but give this area a little credit, we do have some good athletes. Go South Rebels and congratulations on your fine run over the last 3 years, thats something to be proud of.

I've been around high school football for the past six years in some capacity at Powell High School. I'm not here to question Curt's toughness, his heart, or his will to win...all of that was clearly there. Nor am I hear to question his leadership ability, clearly that team goes as he goes. I don't know how you can say that Knoxville has not been dominant. Knoxville continually puts teams in the state championship games at every level. Look at what Marvyille, Fulton, Alcoa, and even to some degree Oak Ridge have done. Just take a look at last weeks scoreboard...Farragut took down DB, who is the perennial powerhouse in NET. Again I harken back to 2004 when Tennessee High was undefeated and killing everyone that walked on to the field against them in NET. When they played Marvyille it was 49-0 at halftime. But like you say not everyone can be Maryville, it just so happens that a lot of Knoxville teams are competitive, if not dominant, on the state-wide level. South has had an impressive run over the last three years. But if not for Maryville, Powell and Knoxville Central would have the same run at some point in the past 6 years. Bottom line is the game is slower over there, the athletes aren't on the same level plain and simple. Let's get off the Knoxville vs. NET jaunt though and talk about this game. So Greeneville runs a 4-2-5 defense with the backers playing in the flats....I must be picturing this wrong. How can they play with six men in the box and ask the backers to play flats and still stop the run? It just seems like it would be easy to run on that D. Please correct me as I'm sure im misinterpreting something.

I've been around high school football for the past six years in some capacity at Powell High School. I'm not here to question Curt's toughness, his heart, or his will to win...all of that was clearly there. Nor am I hear to question his leadership ability, clearly that team goes as he goes. I don't know how you can say that Knoxville has not been dominant. Knoxville continually puts teams in the state championship games at every level. Look at what Marvyille, Fulton, Alcoa, and even to some degree Oak Ridge have done. Just take a look at last weeks scoreboard...Farragut took down DB, who is the perennial powerhouse in NET. Again I harken back to 2004 when Tennessee High was undefeated and killing everyone that walked on to the field against them in NET. When they played Marvyille it was 49-0 at halftime. But like you say not everyone can be Maryville, it just so happens that a lot of Knoxville teams are competitive, if not dominant, on the state-wide level. South has had an impressive run over the last three years. But if not for Maryville, Powell and Knoxville Central would have the same run at some point in the past 6 years. Bottom line is the game is slower over there, the athletes aren't on the same level plain and simple. Let's get off the Knoxville vs. NET jaunt though and talk about this game. So Greeneville runs a 4-2-5 defense with the backers playing in the flats....I must be picturing this wrong. How can they play with six men in the box and ask the backers to play flats and still stop the run? It just seems like it would be easy to run on that D. Please correct me as I'm sure im misinterpreting something.

Well it does seem odd but its worked so far they do come in to help but its working

The lightning quick D line really helps stop the run. They eat up bigger an slower O linemen with there speed

“ Outlined against a blue-gray October sky the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as famine, pestilence, destruction and death. These are only aliases. Their real names are: Phillips, Fletcher, Collins and Harlass. They formed the crest of the Pactolus cyclone before which another fighting 5-Rivers team was swept over the precipice at Death Valley this blustery cold autumn night as 10,000 spectators peered down upon the bewildering panorama spread out upon the green plain below."

So what if the pride of Powell wants to get on here and pat himself and his region on the back. I'm a proud region one football product now living in region two, so I face these egocentric views every Friday night for 15 weeks every autumn. Praises be to region two and all their state titles, not only for their excellent representation of East Tennessee but also for the speed and finess with which they play the game. Region two may have the skill advantage, but one thing you can bet on is that in late November in Death Valley, or any region one school for that matter, theres gonna be 48 minutes of football that more closely represents a 15-round titile bout than a football game. Good luck to both teams, come out swinging and leave it all of the field. Every Friday from here on out may be your last oppurtunity to do so.

I,m pretty sure the way they run there 4-2-5 is pretty much the same as a 4-4-3 with 2 of the rovers or Strong safety's what ever they call them come up to cover the inside run just like backers, leaving a middle safety and 2 corners.

I,m pretty sure the way they run there 4-2-5 is pretty much the same as a 4-4-3 with 2 of the rovers or Strong safety's what ever they call them come up to cover the inside run just like backers, leaving a middle safety and 2 corners.

/thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

This may not be the proper place to do this but heck I dont' know where else to ask. Some of you local rebel fans 84Rebel or JD Rebel, or pumpkinhead, some of you boys how does the ticket situation look? Do I need to try to get the little wife to head on out to the school and buy tickets? Just tryin to get a feel for how it's going. Idon't want to miss that Rebel Train!!

This may not be the proper place to do this but heck I dont' know where else to ask. Some of you local rebel fans 84Rebel or JD Rebel, or pumpkinhead, some of you boys how does the ticket situation look? Do I need to try to get the little wife to head on out to the school and buy tickets? Just tryin to get a feel for how it's going. Idon't want to miss that Rebel Train!!

Tickets won't be a problem. You might have to stand in line a little while if you show up 30 minutes before game time. I'd say if you get there an hour before hand, you'll be fine.