Henry County VS Melrose Clash of the Titans!

Red Dawn

Well first and foremost you are not me. I can careless about what you will get on a messageboard and do, Opinons are like a_ _ holes, everyone has one and I am entitled to mine. Yeah a security guard that is not TSSAA certified to teach or have a degree in secondary education is not qualified to coach, if so maybe he would be an employee of The Memphis City School System. You dwell on the status of the team making it to the quarterfinals of the state playoffs, well let me tell you that they have made it that far on pure talent alone. As far as the defense goes, kudos to Coach Reginald Matthews on a job well done. It's easy to stand on the outside and look in and say what you think, but until you have been on the inside, it's best to remain quiet on what you don't now about ! I couldn't tell you much about Whitehaven's program unless I talked to Coach Jason Harris or Coach Saulsberry themselves. Other than that I am clueless about the operation over there.

Strange you should say that a coach that is not certified is not qualified to coach and yet you give kudos to Coach Matthews. WELL...NEWS FLASH...Matthews is not certified either!! The principal had promised Reginald the job, but it ended up going to Coach Alexander because he did not have his "paperwork!" He's handled the Melrose D for years and was there with Ingram too. (And in case it needs restating..The Melrose Defense is AWESOME!)

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope they do play and are up to speed. I don't want any excuses from Melrose after they get the same Memphis beating that we have given the last two teams from down there.

HC 24

Melrose 12

But it won't really be that close.

Bring on the next team : aka Hillsboro

/motorbike.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":motorbike:" border="0" alt="motorbike.gif" /> /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

Win or lose, you play with what you have. This is football, not tiddly winks ... injuries are a part of it.

There's daggers in men's smiles.

Macbeth, 2. 3

Think about this guys...whether those boys that are hurt play or not, they are coming and have to be dealt with as though they are on the field. Do not let the clutter and talk give us a false hope. They won their division. They are there own #1...we are our own #1!! Focus is the key and execute to the best of our ability. We will not be deterred!!

RED BALL!!! RED BALL!!! RED BALL!!!

Gang, we have added a new ingredient to the pot this morning...cypress balls. They have given the juice a nice pugent odor and beautiful greenish tint. Looks like things are in order around here...No wait a minute...Quit doing that!!! Don't be wiping your tail on the lid!! What do you mean that's what they're going to be doing?? The Cats are going to be scooting on the ground wiping their...stop that!! The Gator is in rare form this morning!!

Gotta go before he does something really stupid...No put that back!! Michael stop stabbing at the catfur with your knife! OH MY...

"Who ya rooting for - - HCHS!!"

HC will struggle to score points against Melrose. I doubt that HC scores more than 14. Too many athletes for Melrose. Also, Region 7 is weak.

Melrose - 35

HC - 7

35 to 7 what are u smoking. When is the last time melrose offense put up that many points. HC defense is not memphis northside or some weak team they did score 35 points on. When is the last time HC offense been held under 35 points unlikely 7 what u say thats all they will get.

35 to 7 what are u smoking. When is the last time melrose offense put up that many points. HC defense is not memphis northside or some weak team they did score 35 points on. When is the last time HC offense been held under 35 points unlikely 7 what u say thats all they will get.

Melrose is giving up 4.1 ppg and has given up FIFTY points all year long. They've given up 12 points total in their past 7 games. They have played a MUCH more difficult schedule against superior talent in the Memphis City school system on a weekly basis. A team like Henry County sees about the same number of talented players scattered across West Tennessee in season that a team like Melrose sees weekly. What makes you think that Henry County is going to just run up and down the field and score at will? Nobody else has been able to do it all year.

Region 7 is a weak region. I think even the most ardent homer would admit that. There is not a 4A or 5A team outside of Memphis in West Tennessee that is not in Region 7. Did you realize that? The Jackson teams are down considerably from some good football that they have enjoyed through the years. Hardin County is a perennial 3-4 loss team in their best year's of football. I believe they have won 10 games (including playoffs) once in the last 40 years.

The only way that Melrose loses this game is if they give it away.

Melrose is giving up 4.1 ppg and has given up FIFTY points all year long. They've given up 12 points total in their past 7 games. They have played a MUCH more difficult schedule against superior talent in the Memphis City school system on a weekly basis. A team like Henry County sees about the same number of talented players scattered across West Tennessee in season that a team like Melrose sees weekly. What makes you think that Henry County is going to just run up and down the field and score at will? Nobody else has been able to do it all year.

Region 7 is a weak region. I think even the most ardent homer would admit that. There is not a 4A or 5A team outside of Memphis in West Tennessee that is not in Region 7. Did you realize that? The Jackson teams are down considerably from some good football that they have enjoyed through the years. Hardin County is a perennial 3-4 loss team in their best year's of football. I believe they have won 10 games (including playoffs) once in the last 40 years.

The only way that Melrose loses this game is if they give it away.

You bring up some valid points Lipscomb. However, just by the numbers is a flawed way of thinking in my opinion. There is no doubt that Melrose D is tough. And in 4A, they have the #1 rated defense holding many good teams in check. But on the flip side of that, in 4A Henry County is the #2 rated offense. None of the other teams they have played have been to that level. Not Mitchell, not CBHS nor Kingsbury. Whitehaven (who they lost to) is the closest opponent with an offense like HC. Statewide Whitehaven has the #20 offense while HC has the #9 offense. Now also, in watching Melrose they will have to defend all 4 of HC's threats - which is tough for any opponent. Notoriously, Melrose has been giving up yards while not giving up TD's. I do think that Melrose will hold HC below there average of 40+ per game, but I don't think they will hold us below 20-25. In order for them to win, they must outscore that - and they have not been doing it this year. So that is why two of the computer rating systems in the state are split on this game. One has Melrose favored by 3 points while the other has Henry County favored by 4 points. So your prediction of a Melrose blowout is unlikely, and in my opinion your prediction of the only way Melrose loses is if they give it away is also not accurate. This will be a hard fought battle.

I sure do enjoy reading all this jaw jackin and gum bumpin, but the bottom line is reguardless of records or regions or coaches or fans, every team is beatable. The further you go in the playoffs, the harder the teams get! Time to play mistake free football, because the first mistake could be your last. HC has an explosive O and from what I hear & read about Melrose they have a bend but dont break D. Both have shown exploitable weaknesses, and a grudge against each other. I expect the atmosphere to be buzzing for this one from early afternoon tailgaiting all the way through to the final whistle. I would love to see HC have their way with Melrose, but with so many talented kids on both teams I expect to see a dogfight! Go Big Red! We need to bring it all night long! No blown coverages, no missed tackles, and stay on our blocks!

ROUND THREE

Friday night lights in gay Paris town;

A fight to see who goes to fourth round.

How do we match their 5000 strong crowd?

With cannons and horns and fans screaming loud.

How do we slow down the bright golden shoes?

By hardwork, true grit, and paying our dues.

How do we score, when no one else could?

By doing what we do, executeing as we should.

A mother of all battles that no fan must miss;

Sad heartbreak for one, for the other true bliss.

GO BIG RED

I am an HC fan, and I will tell you your crazy. No offense, but you obviously haven't ever seen Melrose play. That school is like a never ending breeding ground for football talent. They will come ready to play Friday, and we BETTER be ready for a game or they will be the ones running the clock.

Yes, they have talent, Talent alone doesn't win! They don't have the heart to beat HC. Just wait and see!

Not alot of teams have the type of weapons that we have. Most of them have one dominate RB or QB. Henry Co. has a triple threat you have to deal with. The big back that carries 2 or 3 people for a few yards if he is hit at the line, but he can be light on his feet as well and be agile. Our QB has all the speed any one person could ask for, plus has the ability to throw. We have another back/reciever that has just as much speed as the QB. You never know who is getting the ball! I have heard that people have been able to move the ball down the field on Melrose, but just couldn't punch it in. Alot of our scores have been break away runs from 50 yards or more, alot of that is to do with the speed factor when they hit the open field, and once again you never know who is getting the ball. Has Melrose faced a RB as big as ours when you get inside the 10 yard line? You still don't know who will get the ball inside the 10 though. I'm not taking anything away from Melrose. I think it will be a great game, but people get on here and say that Melrose will take care of the HC offense. I just don't think they have seen anything quite like us!!! Once again, YOU NEVER KNOW WHO IS GETTING THE BALL!