Alcoa vs. GP

F5HallOfFamer

Who were the starters that did not play and will they play next week? How is Cobb's ankle?

Justin Marsh & Josh Kincannon didn't play. I'm pretty sure Marsh will play next week, not sure about Kincannon. Also, Brodus didn't play tonight. I saw Randall walking around on the sideline during the game, and he looked okay. He didn't have it iced or wrapped or anything, so I'm assuming it's okay. Also, at one point, the starters looked like they were warming back up, but the 2nd string was able to score, so I guess Rankin decided against putting them back in. Randall was jumping around during the warm up, so it must not be anything to get worked up about.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Justin Marsh & Josh Kincannon didn't play. I'm pretty sure Marsh will play next week, not sure about Kincannon. Also, Brodus didn't play tonight. I saw Randall walking around on the sideline during the game, and he looked okay. He didn't have it iced or wrapped or anything, so I'm assuming it's okay. Also, at one point, the starters looked like they were warming back up, but the 2nd string was able to score, so I guess Rankin decided against putting them back in. Randall was jumping around during the warm up, so it must not be anything to get worked up about.

Kincannon played tonight. I saw him on the field both offensively and defensively. /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

It just didn't feel right tonight. Maybe it was because our usual kicker wasn't at the game due to family commitments. Maybe it was because a couple of our starters also didn't play. It just didn't feel right.

We had a new kicker who, I believe, was playing for the first time tonight. Thompson did a great job with the punting, but it wasn't the same.

Giving G-P its due: They had some good passes and some good plays. But, our 2nd string just didn't seem to know how to play the pass like the 1st string does. Most of the 2nd string was in after halftime; I think it was a mixture of 1st and 2nd stringers, but it definitely wasn't all 1st string unless I was at a different game.

This was an entirely different game than the CAK game. I still think CAK could beat G-P hands down, and I still say CAK is the #2 team in the state. Alcoa definitely had an off-night. Glad it was this week instead of next week.

"I think that DCA's coaching staff should have fun watching the game film because GP showed many holes in Alcoa's defense."

Well, I hope they have fun looking at our 2nd & 3rd stringers!

GP moved at will in the first and second half. Over 400 yards passing with more in the first half against Alcoa starters than second half. The difference in the game, turnovers and the speed of two players, Cobb and Hodge. No one in 2A ball will stop Cobb and Hodge, Alcoa will win state. No one will put up 36 on them except GP.

I don't think enough credit is being given to the young men from GP. Say what you wish, but they did basically whatever they wanted on the offensive side. A couple of early mistakes let Alcoa pull away and its hard to beat a team when you can't stop them on defense. However, they did not fold and played the entire ball game. Alcoa is a good ball club, but I think they are very beatable. If anyone noticed, GP wasn't given a chance and they put up more points than every team Alcoa has played not named Maryville. I would also not say that Rankin pulled his starters early. The same defense I saw in the first quarter for Alcoa took the field at the beginning of the fourth. Congratulations GP on a wonderful season and for earning Region 1 some respect.

At least half of Alcoa's 1st D didn't play at all in the 2nd half

Here's the quote from coach Rankin: "I was not going to put our starters back in," he said. "It didn't make any difference (what the score was). The kids we had out there were either going to have to stop them or we were going to be in trouble. There was no way I was going to put the starters back in."

All I heard all year was about how this was a down year for Alcoa and that this team wasn't anywhere as good as the last three (teams). Since the didn't put up 91 points I guess everyone was right. Win, lose, or draw way to go Tornadoes I will always be a fan /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Here's the quote from coach Rankin: "I was not going to put our starters back in," he said. "It didn't make any difference (what the score was). The kids we had out there were either going to have to stop them or we were going to be in trouble. There was no way I was going to put the starters back in."

All I heard all year was about how this was a down year for Alcoa and that this team wasn't anywhere as good as the last three (teams). Since the didn't put up 91 points I guess everyone was right. Win, lose, or draw way to go Tornadoes I will always be a fan /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Congrats Alcoa. Your offense looked good. Nice quote. Do you think Rankin expects anyone to believe it? If he does he doesn't have a clue. I was there. After Alcoa's first touchdown of the second half one kind of expected the #2 D but the coaches called for #1s. You can say what you want but true fact. When they finally made changes it was only a few players. No one gave GP a change then they put up 36 and Alcoa posters come up with all kinds of excuses. We were missing 2 starters and a kicker. Well GP was missing 2 starters and you don't hear anyone whining do you. 1 starter was the leading tackler, the other if not #2 tackler he is one of top 3 or 4. By the way, Pittser was also #2 rusher and kicker and punter. Players being sick or injured is just a part of sports. To say that Alcoa played young kids most of the game or at least the second half is bull. Even second offense wasn't without starters. Alcoas defense only forced GP to punt once. Bottom line is this, either GP was a lot better than anyone gives them credit or Alcoas defense is terrible or both. Alcoa D didn't stop GP, 3 fumbles in first quarter did.

Was it really so hard just to say kudos to GP. Job well done by both teams. No you had to try to make GP look bad by making excuses for Alcoa.

How many teams in the last 3 seasons not named Maryville have put up 36 points and the QB passed for over 400 yds?

Oh yeah! CAK fans were right. What ever that was at midfield after the game was classless. If Rankin has class as you say its gotta go. Heck, all of Alcoas players didn't agree with it. About half the team went on to the locker room (some of the starters included). Cry sour grapes if you wish but it still is true.

I had a long response to the previous post, but deleted it because it's not worth it. This game is over, it's on to the next. Rankin did his best to save G-P embarrassment, and he did a darn good job.

If actions of teenagers hurt your feelings, then... (you can fill in the rest however you want).

The team went in after the game because it was too darn cold to be out there, and they didn't play that good of a game. Plus, it simply wasn't that big of a game for us.

We know the reality is that every team is beatable...we have first hand experience at that. Alcoa not winning the state championship this year is a reality, but it's also a reality that Goodpasture, DCA, and Peabody may not win, either. That's what makes high school football so exciting. You see kids grow and mature during the season, and see how they respond to different situations.

Say what you want about our kids, our fans, our coaches. We are very proud of our accomplishments, and someone such as yourself won't bring us down!

GO TORNADOES!!!