Red Bank vs. Maryville

lionheart6508

Bold indeed.

Here's some info for you:

GQ has been at Maryville for 9 full seasons (with the 9th one currently in extra innings). In that time, his teams have lost only 9 games. The average margin of loss in those games has been 8.22 points...actually, the Rebels have lost by more than 7 points only twice and by double digits only once. Further, the Rebels have been to the third round of the playoffs each and every year of GQ's tenure and are 8-0 in that game.

So, you may be right. MHS may lose by 13 points, but...if they do, it will be

- their first loss in 57 games

- their first loss in 48 months

- the first time GQ has ever lost in the third round

- the 2nd time GQ has ever lost by double digits

That'd be a historic night.

Ya know Papa, that's about the smartest thing you've said all day. Cool stats.

The DL

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maryville lost to Central in the 3rd round in 1999.

My take on the game is this. If Maryville makes the same mistakes they made last friday they will be turning in their equiptment next monday. They can't afford 100yd in penalties and turnovers like last friday. Maryville has to play well to have a shot at beating Red Bank. I hope Chris Jordan and Caleb Clement are healthy enough to play friday night.

The defense played well last friday. I thought those 2 backup corners did a nice job. That bodes well for next year.

Maryville will be 5A in 2009.

I do not know anything specific about this year's Maryville or Red Bank teams (Morristown West fan). However, I do know about both programs reputations. I know that Maryville has a target on their backs, but if you do what they do year in and year out, you cannot expect any less. However, they wear the target better than most teams would be able to do. I noticed that both teams are extremely even on paper Maryville has scored 401 points (33.4/game) and allowed 145 (12.1/game); Red Bank has scored 452 points (37.7/game) and allowed 149 points (12.4/game). However, the game is not played on paper. There is no doubt that both teams have the ability to win this game.

The difference will be the experience that Maryville has in this type of game and the fact that the game is in Maryville. The coaching staff and players from Maryville have been here before many times. And as much as I hate to say it, Quarles is a coaching genius. I have never seen a Tennessee High School team as polished as Maryville is year after year. They do not make game changing mistakes historically. There is no doubt that Red Bank will put their best on the field and will leave nothing, but I am not sure it will be enough. It is true that this is not the same high powered Maryville team as in years past, but they find a way to win. Until someone is able to beat them, it is hard to pick against them. I see Red Bank giving their all, but do not believe it will be enough. Maryville will find a way to win, just as they have in the past.

Good luck to both teams. I hope the injuries last week are the last you both experience. Again, I do not have any direct experience with either team (so my observations are just that: observations -- not facts). I just know what Maryville is able to do and expect them to do it again.

I may be counting wrong, but I'm pretty sure that MHS beat Greeneville in the 3rd round in 1999 before losing to Central in the next round.

Maryville beat Greeneville in the semis in 2000 before winning the state title. Greeneville is from the same area as Morristown West and Maryville does not see them until the fourth round.

In 1999 Maryville finished 8-2 in the regular season. In the opening round they played White County beating them 28-7. In the 2nd round Maryville beat Cleveland 39-27. The next week in the 3rd round Central ended Maryville's season 29-20. Central went to the state title game losing 21-14 to Memphis East. I know this because my nephew was starting quarterback on that Maryville team.

I may be counting wrong, but I'm pretty sure that MHS beat Greeneville in the 3rd round in 1999 before losing to Central in the next round.

Greeneville lost to Sullivan Central in the first round of the playoffs in 1999. Elizabethton beat Central the second round of the playoffs. Elizabethton went on to beat Boone in the third round. I forget who Elizabethton lost to in the 4th round of the playoffs, but anything from Region 3-4 doesn't see a region 1-2 team until the 4th round of the playoffs.

I do not know anything specific about this year's Maryville or Red Bank teams (Morristown West fan). However, I do know about both programs reputations. I know that Maryville has a target on their backs, but if you do what they do year in and year out, you cannot expect any less. However, they wear the target better than most teams would be able to do. I noticed that both teams are extremely even on paper Maryville has scored 401 points (33.4/game) and allowed 145 (12.1/game); Red Bank has scored 452 points (37.7/game) and allowed 149 points (12.4/game). However, the game is not played on paper. There is no doubt that both teams have the ability to win this game.

The difference will be the experience that Maryville has in this type of game and the fact that the game is in Maryville. The coaching staff and players from Maryville have been here before many times. And as much as I hate to say it, Quarles is a coaching genius. I have never seen a Tennessee High School team as polished as Maryville is year after year. They do not make game changing mistakes historically. There is no doubt that Red Bank will put their best on the field and will leave nothing, but I am not sure it will be enough. It is true that this is not the same high powered Maryville team as in years past, but they find a way to win. Until someone is able to beat them, it is hard to pick against them. I see Red Bank giving their all, but do not believe it will be enough. Maryville will find a way to win, just as they have in the past.

Good luck to both teams. I hope the injuries last week are the last you both experience. Again, I do not have any direct experience with either team (so my observations are just that: observations -- not facts). I just know what Maryville is able to do and expect them to do it again.

Sir, for not knowing the teams that well as you say, I would say you nailed a few points pretty well. First of all it is strange not seeing Morristown West in the mix this time of the year and I am sure Coach Woods will be in the hunt again next year.

I agree that experience is a huge factor and Maryville has that. Red Bank however got embarrassed last year at home and the core of this years Lion team are seniors. I bet that taste of getting your dreams crushed last year is still fresh in many of the RB players. I think they have a quality coaching staff and some experience. But not like the kids at Maryville have. In today??™s Chattanooga paper I found some interesting reading; ???We're just glad to still be playing this time of year," Lions coach Tim Daniels said. "People had us playing this game weeks ago, and our kids have done a great job of staying focused until we got to this point." Interesting! This tells me they been looking ahead some. That??™s natural, but make no mistake, RB would like very much to be playing Knox West at home rather than visiting Renfro Field! Then another statement was "We have a lot of respect for what Maryville has accomplished. After last year's game, we made a commitment to get back to this game, and now we're here. Lastly Coach D said, "It all boils down to experience. We've played them, so there won't be that 'wow' factor."

I think at this point I would agree but there is one factor that can play into the experience thing. RB might be thinking Maryville is not as good as they have been. Therefore the game might be easier than last year. I would agree Maryville may not be able to deliver the ???Wow??? factor but if the Rebels get the lead the Lions might start the think it is over again before it is.

If Red Bank gets an early lead and does not make mistakes they could win. The have the tools and will give the Rebels their toughest test of the year or end the streak altogether. But if Maryville gets a 10-14 point lead at home after the 2nd half begins, it will be over for the Lions. Last year Maryville was behind early at Red Bank and the Rebels rebounded to soundly beat RB 38-14.