Cocke County

5wide

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to say it but you may be right. I remember back in the old days when i played for Jeff Co, the Cocke Co. game was usually for the distict title. They had some great athletes like Pedro Gudger, Scotty Dykes, Marcus Carter, etc. Even leter with Bubba White. I would like to see them get back to a competitive level. Not to start a huge debate or problem, but I saw them play this year and did not see many blck players at all. Was this a problem? Again, not trying to start any trouble or insuate a problem. Just asking?

TWO WORDS...ATHLETIC DIRECTOR! HE IS HORRIBLE!

WES JONES...WAS A GREAT COACH...THE KIDS LOVED HIM...HE KNEW THE GAME...LACK OF SUPPORT FROM THE ADMINISTRATION AND ATHLETIC DIRECTOR...CAUSED HIM TO MOVE TO AUSTIN EAST HIGH SCHOOL...WHERE HE IS STILL PLAYING FOOTBALL....IN THE THIRD ROUND OF THE PLAY-OFFS.

DAVID CRAWFORD...NOT THAT GREAT OF A COACH...BUT A GREAT GUY...LACK OF SUPPORT FROM THE ADMIN AND ATHLETIC DIRECTOR AND THE FANS...CAUSED HIM TO RESIGN.

CCHS WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO HAVE A GOOD PROGRAM UNDER THE CURRENT SITUATION..REGARDLESS.

THEY HAVE NO FEEDER PROGRAM...OR MAYBE THEY HAVE A USELESS ONE.

THERE ARE PEOPLE IN THAT TOWN THAT WILL DONATE THE MONEY...SO THATS NOT THE PROBLEM.

BEST OF LUCK TO CCHS...I REALLY HOPE THEY CAN GET BACK INTO THE PROGRAM.

AS A FORMER CCHS ATHLETE...IT HURTS TO LOOK BACK AND SEE MY TEAM GET STOMPED OVER AND OVER!

If I am not mistaken, Larry Williams is the current atlethic director. He was the head coach back in the 80's and 90's. It seems that since he moved from head coach into the AD slot, the program has been in a downward slide. I remember Larry seemed to be an adequate coah when I played '89 to '91. I still remember the triple option with Desmond Rice at QB, Birdie Allen and Jamie Peters as the split backs. We would run the triple option to no end. Most coaches would pass on third and 25, not us....24 or 48 option.

Since I am removed from Newport, I can not explain why the program has slipped into oblivion. I know around where I reside, the feeder programs are the life of the programs. Middle school programs contribute so much to the success of the high schools in middle TN. It could be the administration, the coaching, the schemes, lack of players, lack of community support.....it could be some, all, or non of these ideas.

I would like to hear some more from people still in the area or people who have played them recently.

I have seen COCKE COUNTY a few times over the past 3 or 4 years. They have really big kids and decent speed. Why cant they win ??? It can't all be about the HEAD COACH. How is the administration, the students, and the community ? What will it take to win in NEWPORT ????

Make Basketball your main sport and pour everything into it !!