Bearden vs Smyrna

Lost Old Dad

I wasn't at the game and I don't have a clue if the officials were good, bad or mediocre. But it is almost impossible to hold Refs accountable because there aren't enough of them...This goes the same for basketball, baseball, softball, soccer and whatever else ... Let's say Crew A calls a terrible game and we are going to suspend them for a week...there is hardly anyone to replace them. That makes it very difficult to hold them accountable. You make them mad enough and they will just quit...then you don't have officials....then you don't have games. I can get just as mad as the next guy at officials and I wish something could be done; however, the reality is...nothing will change.

GOOD POST.WHY DONT SOME OF U FANS COME OUT AND HELP TSSAA OUT.THEY WOULD LOVE 2 HAVE MORE OFFICIALS OUT THERE.

I wasn't at the game and I don't have a clue if the officials were good, bad or mediocre. But it is almost impossible to hold Refs accountable because there aren't enough of them...This goes the same for basketball, baseball, softball, soccer and whatever else ... Let's say Crew A calls a terrible game and we are going to suspend them for a week...there is hardly anyone to replace them. That makes it very difficult to hold them accountable. You make them mad enough and they will just quit...then you don't have officials....then you don't have games. I can get just as mad as the next guy at officials and I wish something could be done; however, the reality is...nothing will change.

GOOD POST.WHY DONT SOME OF U FANS COME OUT AND HELP TSSAA OUT.THEY WOULD LOVE 2 HAVE MORE OFFICIALS OUT THERE.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

both feet have to land inbounds not just oneeven if it came out he is on the oob line..the ball would have rolled out...aka smyrnas ball

that is incorrect sean. only one foot has to come down in high school and college. but if you watch the game film, you see him jump for the ball and land with his first foot over the line.

if it came out he is on the oob line..the ball would have rolled out...aka smyrnas ball

you might want to look at that again, because on the onside kick recovery he wasn't even close to being out of bounds. And the ball didn't have to go 10 yards bc the offensive player touched it first. The link showing the Smyrna player upsidedown in the air very clearly shows that he does not have possession of the ball, so it did come out before he hit the ground and 88 for Bearden came out of the bottom of the pile IN bounds holding the ball.

Obviously there will never be a perfect game called, because people aren't perfect and yes, that is part of the game, but when you have that many game changing calls go against a team, it makes you wonder....

Just want to say I do not agree with the first fumble call, his knees where down well before the ball came out. I believe there was a missed call where the Bearden reciever caught the ball in the middle of the field took a few steps and got hit, the ball came out, he fell on it and they called it an incomplete pass. The fact still is they gave up the punt return and the fumble return for the touchdown. There were things they could have controlled that they did not and those things cost them the game. Great season Bearden and congratulations to Smyrna. I am not going to be a sore loser when we did not play a perfect game.

I can honestly say Smyrna deserved to win the game, but Bearden was a very good team. Bearden did not score to mid way in the fourth quarter. However they had a heck of a comeback attempt.

A few thoughts about the officials:

1) I saw the second onside kick and I can confirm 100% that Torrez did not come down with the ball. However, on the video you can not tell who recovers the ball. And remember it is not who comes out of the pile with the ball, but instead it is who has possesion of the ball first. The referee made the call very quick and made the call with alot of confidence, and you can see that on video. I don't feel anybody on here had a view they can confirm 100% who recovered the fumble. Even if instant replay was available I don't think the call would have been overturned. I have not seen one conclusive video.

2) Who is to say Bearden wins even if they did indeed recovered the kick.

3) I had a pretty good view and the Bearden player was indeed out of bounds. It was not even that close. I think the official emphasized his call to much causing alot of the controversy. He was in great position to make the call. I feel he made the correct call. I think the photo show this, but if you were looking at it from another point of view you could see it different.

4) Bearden should have never got the ball back at the end. The clock should have started when the referee gave the ready to play after a defensive penalty in that scenario. That was probably the worse call of the game, because it was not a lack of judgement. It was simply a case of ignorance. The referee should have known how to apply the rule in that scenario. It really could have been a big deal. However it was a brillant call by Smyrna

Bearden you guys had a great season and should be really proud of your guys. I know alot of Smyrna fans are telling you to shut up and stop whinning about the officials. I think they mean good, but you guys can complain all you want. Smyrna fans would be whinning if they would have lost last night as well. Its called having a competitive heart and believing that your the best team on the field. Thats what championship teams are made of. Use it to fuel your offseason fire and get back there next year. I however disagree with and think in no way did the West Tennessee referees try to steal the game away from Bearden.

I am a Smyrna fan, but I try to look at things as balanced as I can. I love watching the game for what it is. And it was a good one.

Also I want to say that I absolutely loved seeing the fighting attitude the Bearden players had. They never gave up and were trying and taking the fight to Smyrna till the very end. Smyrna you all have great team speed. I hope Bearden plays you all again in the Semi-finals many more times. The whole thing about the band is sportsmanship, probably a funny thing to talk about after reading messages on this board, it is not against the rules. Our band should start doing the same thing when the opposing team's band does it, at that point sportsmanship is out the window. I think that Smyrna played conservative for two reasons, one was to help run out the clock and the second reason is because the Smyrna QB was absolutely getting killed, if they did not stop passing you would not have him in the finals. I heard some overconfidence on the part of some of the Bearden parents in the stands and I can not help but think that this had to influence the players early in the game even if they still do not realize it. You can not ever take a team in that round of the playoffs lightly.

Also can someone explain why the clock would start after a penalty?

My next question, how are the basketball teams for the two schools this year?

Also I want to say that I absolutely loved seeing the fighting attitude the Bearden players had. They never gave up and were trying and taking the fight to Smyrna till the very end. Smyrna you all have great team speed. I hope Bearden plays you all again in the Semi-finals many more times. The whole thing about the band is sportsmanship, probably a funny thing to talk about after reading messages on this board, it is not against the rules. Our band should start doing the same thing when the opposing team's band does it, at that point sportsmanship is out the window. I think that Smyrna played conservative for two reasons, one was to help run out the clock and the second reason is because the Smyrna QB was absolutely getting killed, if they did not stop passing you would not have him in the finals. I heard some overconfidence on the part of some of the Bearden parents in the stands and I can not help but think that this had to influence the players early in the game even if they still do not realize it. You can not ever take a team in that round of the playoffs lightly.

Also can someone explain why the clock would start after a penalty?

My next question, how are the basketball teams for the two schools this year?

clock starting as explained by the official is "officials discretion" however where he is wrong is that is usually applied to the offense because they would have a huge advantage trying to run out the clock. I have never seen the clock not restart after a defensive penalty.

I also felt Bearden thought this would be another ooltewah type game. I think Smyrnas speed gave them fits and it took them a while to adjust but by then they had dug to deep a hole.

As far as bands go virtually all of them play when the offense for the other team has the ball in this region and a lot of the midstate, heck blackaman has a rock band that plays amplified music.

Smyrnas girls are one of the best in the state and the boys play on the same nights.

http://ww2.volunteertv.com/global/video/po...mp;rnd=72362264

this is the worst sportscaster i have ever seen obviously the refs would have given the ball to bearden if they were holding the ball. And then he blames the ref wow.That is ridicious.

Thats a bunch of crap because the ref signals Smyrna ball before the pile is sorted through. Bearden came out with it but he is signaling like the Smyrna player was down, which he obviously wasnt.