Sullivan South v. Maryville

Philster043

It's been awhile, but these two teams last met back in 1995 in the first round of that year's 4A playoffs with Maryville coming out on top 17-10. I actually went to that game as a high school freshman, but neither team is obviously the same now as back then.

That was before Maryville began its incredible dynasty of winning seven state championships from 1998 to 2006.

For this one, I see a pretty good matchup of quarterbacks - both legitimate Division I prospects - Brent Burnette for Maryville and Curt Phillips for Sullivan South. Before Maryville fans start saying there's no way for Sullivan South to win this game, keep in mind that they did thrash Morristown West a couple of weeks ago - the one team that's beaten Maryville in their last 113 games.

What are your thoughts on this game?

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off nothing but respect from this South Rebel for the Maryville Rebels and for what they have accomplished over the years. I have never been to Maryville for a game but will be attending this Friday night; some help is needed. Since I know nothing about the Maryville HS campus, is the stadium located at the high school? Is there visitor side seating or does everyone sit on the same side? How early do you have to arrive to get a descent seat? Any help is appreciated.

that coming from a TN High fan that got man handled by Maryville! South will play Maryville much closer than TN High did. Forget about it. Don't wish for a similare South defeat just because TN High could not stay on the field. I will bet $100 that South plays much closer then TN High did.

That Mo West team and this years version are a little different. Listen I've been saying for a while that this is the year that Maryville will get beat, but after what I just saw them do to Red Bank there's just no way. If they come out and play that way they will walk to a state title. I have seen South play once this year (against Mo West) and I watched Red Bank play Powell. Red Bank is better up front then South and they are a lot more athletic. Phillips isn't as good of a natural runner as the Sims kid (27) for Red Bank is and Maryville absolutely shut him down because they are gap sound and they fly to the football. The mercy rule will come in to effect at some point in this game.

That Mo West team and this years version are a little different. Listen I've been saying for a while that this is the year that Maryville will get beat, but after what I just saw them do to Red Bank there's just no way. If they come out and play that way they will walk to a state title. I have seen South play once this year (against Mo West) and I watched Red Bank play Powell. Red Bank is better up front then South and they are a lot more athletic. Phillips isn't as good of a natural runner as the Sims kid (27) for Red Bank is and Maryville absolutely shut him down because they are gap sound and they fly to the football. The mercy rule will come in to effect at some point in this game.

Hmm, I've wanted to see Maryville play for a long time, now I get to see them maybe (most likely) beat my Rebels.

Should be interesting, I know most people will think I'm dumb for saying this, but I hope it's a close game.

Maryville Rebels--42

South Rebels--35

Go South!! Rebel Nation!! /cool.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="B)" border="0" alt="cool.gif" />

I'm intrigued by something about this match-up. It's a long standing belief of mine that so many knoxville area teams are incredibly intimidated by the Maryville name. And it's not so much a belief as it is a fact lol. See my pre game posts in the Red Bank thread (which proved to be true, Maryville is a machine lol). But I'm curious, do you think that since South doesn't really know what to expect that they will be better prepared to face the giant. Or do you think that the fact that they have never experienced it and have only heard tales of the legend will increase the intimidation factor?

I'm intrigued by something about this match-up. It's a long standing belief of mine that so many knoxville area teams are incredibly intimidated by the Maryville name. And it's not so much a belief as it is a fact lol. See my pre game posts in the Red Bank thread (which proved to be true, Maryville is a machine lol). But I'm curious, do you think that since South doesn't really know what to expect that they will be better prepared to face the giant. Or do you think that the fact that they have never experienced it and have only heard tales of the legend will increase the intimidation factor?

Look man, Maryville is amazing, even I know that. What they have done and are still doing is awesome, they are a great team. But the way you talk, you must have a picture of the team under your pillow or something. Do you dream of Maryville?

Yeah, they are probably going to win this game, I don't EVER go against my team, but this time I think it is too much. But the funny thing about football, Panther, is that the final score isn't decided by a couple of fans arguing on a thread 6 days before the game. Nope, the final score is decided by the boys who actually play the game on Friday night, anything can happen so go ahead and skip your basketball game and make sure to come watch the show.

Win or lose, this will be a great game, I love my team but I have respect for the enemy.

I remember the last time Maryville faced a team from Northeast Tennessee with a great quarterback. In 1998 a loaded Maryville team struggled to beat Elizabethon because they had a great quarterback(Shawn Witten) who could throw and run. From what I hear Curt Phillips is amazing. Sullivan South has all of my respect. I expect a tough game next week.

Maryville SHOULD win big...But South don,t know that. South will score some points but i don,t see them stopping maryville all night...score could be similer to the redbank score. I really hope I am wrong and you guys take down the giant .....But as I told 83 southrebal at the game last night...HOPE FOR THE BEST /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> ...AND EXPECT THE WORST /sad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />