Sullivan South v. Maryville

Philster043

Thank the Lord-somebody actually wants to talk about the game friday night-what a novel idea

what's South's D and runningbacks like? what D do they run? how's their special teams?

by the way didn't you "play" with some numbers before the red bank game? i know i was pleasantly surprised to watch the Red Rebels dismantle the lions-what a whoopin. let's hope they can keep it rollin' Move them Chains-Go Red Rebels!!!!!!

I'll try to keep opinions to a minimun in this post because everyone gets mad at me lol. Agsint MoWest, South's D was pretty impressive. They were swarming to the ball and always had multiple hats on the ball carrier. The running back that sticks out is Fletcher. He stood out to me against Mo West, but someone said he only got 7 carries. They use him sparingly according to the other South fans but he's an effective runner. A little smaller then some of the high profile backs Fletcher is very quick and shifty, he runs hard. He's number 15 listed at 5'8 174. He'll have a chance to get off early if Maryville is worried too much about Phillips.

I'm pretty sure the d is a forty front. I think it's a pretty standard 4-3 cover two type defense, but I've watched a lot of football since the last time I saw South play so I could be completely wrong about the defense.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have made my fair share of positive comments about South's positives as well. And by all means tell me about Powell's short comings. We struggled up front this year on offense and defense. We struggled to run the football effectively against good football teams. Our only signature win was against a Central team that was down this year. We played the best game of the year and still couldn't beat a Red Bank team that was dismantled by Maryville. Guys, this board is here to talk about the good and the bad of it. It's easy for you guys not to bash Powell because they aren't playing anymore...It's not going to hurt my feelings if we talk about all the things that you guys think is wrong with the Powell program, just grow some thicker skin. I don't mean any disrespect to the kids. I have said before it takes a special kind of kid to play football. That's why out of schools with several hundred kids only around 70 or so play football. I love the game and I always will. High School football has provided me with my most cherished memories and most meaningful friendships. That being said I have been the kid getting bashed on coacht. If you can't handle it then you either need to stop reading or grow thicker skin. Everyone has their own opinion. And isn't this an opinion board? But it's not like im just shooting off at the mouth with nothing to back up my arguments. Typically, the NET area is weaker then the Knoxville area (at least in the past 6 or so years). Thats a fact and theres no sense in debating it. MY main point here is that I'm interested to see what Phillips does against the best of the best. I mean think about it, don't we kind of brush of huge statistical games against teams that traditionally aren't very good? Great players are measured by what they do on the grandest of stages. That's football plain and simple. So Friday night we will get a chance to see what Phillips and Fletcher and Martin and Kitzmiller and the rest do on the grandest of stages.

Panther

I would argue there IS a debate there when you tallk "Knoxville aea vs. NET". You say Knoxville area is stronger but I am reading that you lump Maryville and Oak Ridge (why not Sevier County?) into that argument to help your cause. I would argue that Maryville and Oak Ridge are not "Knoxville area" just as Murfreesboro is not lumped with Nashville area, they are there own area and I would say neither wants to be lumped in to the Knoxville umbrella. When you strip away Maryville and Oak Ridge from your argument then there is little weight to the Knoxville is better discussion. Looking back at the schedule to 1996 (that is as far as I can find), DB has an 18-2 record vs the Knoxville area teams. Per the TSSAA website going back to 1993 (5 classifications) DB is 6-2 in the playoffs (2-2 vs Farragut, 2-0 vs Karns, 2-0 vs Bearden). Then if you include the Blount County and Oak Ridge teams that DB has played, DB has winning records vs Oak Ridge (11-7, 5-3 playoffs), William Blount (4-3, 1-2 playoffs), and Heritage (5-0, 1-0 playoffs). By my count DB is 18-2 vs Knoxville teams, 11-7 vs. Oak Ridge, and 9-3 vs. Blount County since 1996. In the playoffs they are 6-2 vs. Knoxville area, 5-3 vs. Oak Ridge, and 2-2 vs. Blount County. Hmm...pretty good debate afterall. Now if you are referring to 4A and Maryville only then I would say that since the run began in 1997, Knoxville area has as many wins vs. Maryville as does NET...1 (Knox Central '99, MoWest '03) and the 1998 Elizabethton teams played a much closer game that year (20-16) than your Powell team (27-3) or Central (27-21). And say what you want about close games played by the Knoxville area, it still goes in the L column just like it does for the NET teams. I would say that NOBODY is getting it done but Maryville and that there is no debate about /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I'm actually a current player from Maryville and I'm just really bored playing at such a dominating school. We're good at everything and it's really just embarressing! The best football, basketball and nobody has a better banjo section than us! One of my cousins was the kid in Deliverance and he was on the red rebels high school marching band years ago and everyone knows how good he was. Honestly our women are the hottest in the state too!!! Thats why we always marry our cousins......( ok sometimes our own moms and dads ) because they're sooo beautiful. It's really not that bad, it's just our personel preference. So I guess I'm just letting off a little steam! The south will rise again....yeeeeeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

WACO, shouldn't you be mopping the gym's concession floor? Or maybe a Top 10 Basketball thread?

Just a little more info on what Curt Phillips along with his teammates have accomplished. This is from the Johnson City Press, written byDoug Fritz:

For the season, Phillips has amassed 3,781 yds rushing and passing. That puts him in second place

on the state's all-time list just 113 yds off J.P. Shelly's record. With 5 TDs against Greenville, Phillips

tied the state record- also held by Shelly- with 52 total TDs rushing and passing.

Phillips moved into second place with 1747 yds rushing by a QB. He also moved into 5th place for most TDs

scored with 37. And he stands in a 6th place tie with Chatt. Red Banks Gerald Riggs, for rushing TDs with 36.

As for passing numbers, he also went over the 2,000 yd mark in Fridays game. He now has 2,034 yds with

16 TDs tosses & 7 ints.

Just thought some South fans would be interested in this. And I'm not sure who J.P. Shelly played for & when. Little help on this one would be appreciated.

WACO, shouldn't you be mopping the gym's concession floor? Or maybe a Top 10 Basketball thread?

You keep refering to me as a woman, then you pull down a quote from someone else and reply using my screen name as if it were my post. I enjoy jousting back and forth with you and making you look like a Idiot but your getting so "off the charts weird" I just don't know what to say anymore. Do you have problems regulating your meds.

just thought i'd do a little figurin'. here's what i came up with:

when the won/loss records are tallied from the teams that murvil et south played her's whatcha get-

south's opponents had a record of 62-67

muvil's opponents had a record of 72-61

what does this mean? on paper it looks like murvil had overall tougher opponents than south.

south played 5 teams with winning records

murvil played 5 teams with winning records

i didn't count teams records twice such as Greeneville et Knox West-teams that were played twice

i realize this doesn't matter at all on friday night-i just thought it was something to look at & maybe discuss-Go Red Rebels

I've been playing with some numbers this morning, and suddenly what I see on paper is making me think that this game could be closer than what my gut is telling me. I'll post some of my findings later.

I'd be interested in seeing your stats, Papa. Since my "real" job sort of involves stats here at the workplace, I'd like to see the research you been doing and your prognostications. Thought I'd throw in a 2 dollar word. 83Rebel, and JDRebel, I'd also like to see what you guys are thinking today about the game. I see you are keeping a low profile today.

Personally, I'd like to see the posts take a more positive turn toward discussing some football myself. I'm not interested in people's heritage right now. Let's talk football!

papa don't leave us hanging like that. i've got to have a root canal this afternoon and probably won't be back on til lat tonight.

Good luck with the root canal bro! Here's what you were looking for:

Offense:

Maryville scores on average 34.85 points per game.

South averages 42 points per game.

Advantage South

Defense:

Maryville gives up an average of 12.69 points per game.

South gives up 14 points per game.

Advantage Maryville

Strength of Schedule:

Maryville's opponents have a combined record of 79-66. The Red Rebels played 6 games against teams with losing records. Coach T has the MHS strength of schedule at 17. The average strength of their opponents' schedules is 19.

South's opponents have a combined record of 72-74. They played 6 teams with losing records and one team that was 500. Coach T has the South strength of schedule at 30. The average strength of their opponents' schedules is 32.

This is the part that surprised me. I expected the gap between Maryville's schedule to be much greater than it is using these numbers.

One Interesting Note:

A natural reference point in pontificating about this game is the MHS/THS game from 2004. So, I thought that I'd pull up some numbers that I ran prior to that game:

THS came in scoring 47 ppg and allowing only 8 on defense. So, they were scoring more than South is this year and giving up less. Further, they did so against teams with essentially the same combined records as the opponents of South this year.

In that same season, MHS was also scoring about 7 more points per game and allowing about 4 fewer. They did so against teams with about the same combined records as the teams they played this year.

Here's the picture I want to paint: It was 2004 and a team ran through everybody in NET. Quietly, Maryville was going about its business of winning gold balls. There was a ton of pomp and circumstance heading into the inevitable clash. The numbers were essentially the same. The scenario is freakishly similar. The years have changed and so has one of the teams. The outcome of that game was a grisly 49-0 donkeystomping...and believe me when I say that it wasn't that close.

So why should this game be any different? The numbers suggest that it could be.

by the way didn't you "play" with some numbers before the red bank game? i know i was pleasantly surprised to watch the Red Rebels dismantle the lions-what a whoopin. let's hope they can keep it rollin' Move them Chains-Go Red Rebels!!!!!!

Yes I did. I like to do that for the big games (when I have some free time on my hands).

The thing about the model I've built is that it relies solely on numbers. There's no way to take into account that a team is playing against the mighty mighty Red Rebels. As such, it always gives the opponents a few points and underestimates the Rebels. When I make my predictions I try to remember that.

Last week I guessed 35 - 21. I didn't think our twos would score on them...

Rebelron, thanks for the info on the two teams. I imagine that Coach Q's teams are better coached. I met him following a scrimmage three years ago and did a column on Maryville. He's a super, super guy and knows the game better than any high school coach I've ever spoken with. I wish I could be at the game Friday. I'll be an hour down the road.

maroonandgray, I unintentionally left off Sensabaugh. Late last night, he simply didn't go through my head when I was typing at 3:30 a.m. But yes, Phillips is the best since Sensabaugh, who is doing great in Jacksonville with the Jags. I knew Gerald when he was at ETSU before they cut the program there. He's a great guy. Another good player is Teddy Gaines. I forgot him as well. Kingsport's had their share. I guess the Wittens and Jones' stand out more for some reason. I'm excited about that young Sensabaugh Kingsport has running the ball. I saw them once this season and he looks like he is going to be a definite D-1 caliber player if he stays healthy.

itstartshereman, J.P. Shelley played for Ezell-Harding and had the benefit of former Vanderbilt receiver Erik Davis, who was one of the best in the SEC playing with Jay Cutler. Ezell's the team that beat Cloudland in the Boro in 2001. If Shelley was about four inches taller, he would've been money somewhere. I think he was a great player, but some I've talked with say he's a product of Coach Scott Smith's (known by fans in NET as Coach Gilligan) system. At Ezell, Smith could handpick his talent with smart, athletic kids who could pick up his system which looked like a Division II college offense at the time.

You keep refering to me as a woman, then you pull down a quote from someone else and reply using my screen name as if it were my post. I enjoy jousting back and forth with you and making you look like a Idiot but your getting so "off the charts weird" I just don't know what to say anymore. Do you have problems regulating your meds.

Easy there, young lady.

You're posts are frequently 2 part. Noticed your mom writes the football related parts and you sneak and add the insults. Like I said, you girls are a hoot.

Does your mom know you're using a new screen name?