Sullivan South v. Maryville

Philster043

You probably were there because one thing is for sure…you weren’t watching the Mighty DB Tribe because their season was O V E R …as usual!! Talk about being over rated, weren’t the Indians of DB ranked #1 in the State in 5A at one point that year? Just because you guys pulled A (1) year out your (you know were) and made it past the first round for the first time in (who knows when) doesn’t give you the right to run your mouth WacJac!! Why don’t you wait till you at least make it out the first round two years in a row? By the way that same overrated Viking team in 04’ beat the same SHHS team the #1 ranked (one and out) DB Indians beat 38–14 by 35 points. Almost as many points as the Indians scored!! I can only speculate what a “donkeystomp” we would have put on the 04’ (wanna be 5A) Indians. With all them games you guys win at the so called “Winningest football Program in the state” it looks like you could at least win a couple post season games a year. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Yeah, I've heard that before. I wouldn't compare ripping through the 2A MLC in '04 as being able to beat DB /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> In '05 DB was a step down from '04 as I'm assuming was the case with THS yet we remember what happened in the '05 game...should I think that the '04 game would have been different? After all the hype I heard building up to the '06 DB/South game I have come to understand never to believe all the talk. I have also come to see how that when a team doesn't schedule DB...that was the year they would have won (THS in '04, South in '07). The way to beat DB...don't play 'em and claim you could have /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> DB's season ended in '04 the same as THS with an L (only DB didn't lose by 49). THS beat an 8-4 Betsy team in round 3 while DB was beaten in the same round by an 11-1 Oak Ridge (who DB had beaten earlier). But you just keep beating Volunteer in the 1st round and brag about it mmmk?

Myth: DB 1 and done, THS playoff beasts

Fact: Since 1997 (10 years) DB is 17-11 with 6 qtr finals in 5A, 3 semis. THS is 10-9 with 2 qtrs and 1 semi

That aint Maryville #s but its better than anything in NET /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be interested in seeing your stats, Papa. Since my "real" job sort of involves stats here at the workplace, I'd like to see the research you been doing and your prognostications. Thought I'd throw in a 2 dollar word. 83Rebel, and JDRebel, I'd also like to see what you guys are thinking today about the game. I see you are keeping a low profile today.

Personally, I'd like to see the posts take a more positive turn toward discussing some football myself. I'm not interested in people's heritage right now. Let's talk football!

Work sort of limits my ability to read coacht and make posts. Can you believe that someone's work would require that? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Seriously, I don't really know what I can add to this thread. Most people do not believe that we can compete, after Friday night we will know the answer to that question. I am concerned with our ability to defend against that big tight end for Maryville, throughout the year it seems, to me, that we have struggled covering the back coming out of the backfield and the tight end. Our LB's are going to have to play a tremendous game. I am impressed with the way South has battled back from deficits this year, they haven't panicked. Something else that cannot be underestimated is the heart of this team, they truly play as a team, they respect their opponent, and I guarantee their will be no swagger or gestures towards the home crowd, however they will come to play and to win and I will be there cheering them on win or lose. We love you Blue!!

Work sort of limits my ability to read coacht and make posts. Can you believe that someone's work would require that? /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Seriously, I don't really know what I can add to this thread. Most people do not believe that we can compete, after Friday night we will know the answer to that question. I am concerned with our ability to defend against that big tight end for Maryville, throughout the year it seems, to me, that we have struggled covering the back coming out of the backfield and the tight end. Our LB's are going to have to play a tremendous game. I am impressed with the way South has battled back from deficits this year, they haven't panicked. Something else that cannot be underestimated is the heart of this team, they truly play as a team, they respect their opponent, and I guarantee their will be no swagger or gestures towards the home crowd, however they will come to play and to win and I will be there cheering them on win or lose. We love you Blue!!

83SR who does your boss/company think they are not letting you post at work thats just plain ridiculous /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> what about on Fridays do they at least let you off 1/2 a day for travel time?

Yeah, I've heard that before. I wouldn't compare ripping through the 2A MLC in '04 as being able to beat DB /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> In '05 DB was a step down from '04 as I'm assuming was the case with THS yet we remember what happened in the '05 game...should I think that the '04 game would have been different? After all the hype I heard building up to the '06 DB/South game I have come to understand never to believe all the talk. I have also come to see how that when a team doesn't schedule DB...that was the year they would have won (THS in '04, South in '07). The way to beat DB...don't play 'em and claim you could have /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> DB's season ended in '04 the same as THS with an L (only DB didn't lose by 49). THS beat an 8-4 Betsy team in round 3 while DB was beaten in the same round by an 11-1 Oak Ridge (who DB had beaten earlier). But you just keep beating Volunteer in the 1st round and brag about it mmmk?

Myth: DB 1 and done, THS playoff beasts

Fact: Since 1997 (10 years) DB is 17-11 with 6 qtr finals in 5A, 3 semis. THS is 10-9 with 2 qtrs and 1 semi

That aint Maryville #s but its better than anything in NET /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Were both stuck in weak confrences..nothing we can do about it , so were kinda in the same boat..but enough about us, we got plenty of time for that /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

southys..i,m bringin a viking posse /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" /> with me to the game Fri. Hope yall don,t mind some Maroon sittin in with the blue for a little extra noise /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> . And just a word of advice. You better brush up on some two deep -man under cause if you play a stright zone they will eat you alive.

And I hope the players on both sides play to the best of there ability because nothing worse than getting this far and laying an egg /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />( BEEN THERE DONE THAT) because it sticks with you for a loooooog time. With that said go gettem BLUE!!

southys..i,m bringin a viking posse /ph34r.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":ph34r:" border="0" alt="ph34r.gif" /> with me to the game Fri. Hope yall don,t mind some Maroon sittin in with the blue for a little extra noise /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> . And just a word of advice. You better brush up on some two deep -man under cause if you play a stright zone they will eat you alive.

And I hope the players on both sides play to the best of there ability because nothing worse than getting this far and laying an egg /blush.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />( BEEN THERE DONE THAT) because it sticks with you for a loooooog time. With that said go gettem BLUE!!

Glad to have the Vik's with us any Indians, Pat's, Cougars, Raiders, Blazers, Toppers, and Green Devils great to have you too!! /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" /> I hear that a bunch of the Reb faithful are meeting somewhere in CH to go down together. Anyone know more??

GO SOUTH REBELS!

Glad to have the Vik's with us any Indians, Pat's, Cougars, Raiders, Blazers, Toppers, and Green Devils great to have you too!! /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" /> I hear that a bunch of the Reb faithful are meeting somewhere in CH to go down together. Anyone know more??

GO SOUTH REBELS!

Would not miss this for nothing. Stay focused blue,this will be a game you will always remember.Show em what the South Rebs can do.Make NET proud. Get-r-Done!

GO SOUTH REBELS!

Ingles parking lot 2pm.

Rebelron, thanks for the info on the two teams. I imagine that Coach Q's teams are better coached. I met him following a scrimmage three years ago and did a column on Maryville. He's a super, super guy and knows the game better than any high school coach I've ever spoken with. I wish I could be at the game Friday. I'll be an hour down the road.

maroonandgray, I unintentionally left off Sensabaugh. Late last night, he simply didn't go through my head when I was typing at 3:30 a.m. But yes, Phillips is the best since Sensabaugh, who is doing great in Jacksonville with the Jags. I knew Gerald when he was at ETSU before they cut the program there. He's a great guy. Another good player is Teddy Gaines. I forgot him as well. Kingsport's had their share. I guess the Wittens and Jones' stand out more for some reason. I'm excited about that young Sensabaugh Kingsport has running the ball. I saw them once this season and he looks like he is going to be a definite D-1 caliber player if he stays healthy.

itstartshereman, J.P. Shelley played for Ezell-Harding and had the benefit of former Vanderbilt receiver Erik Davis, who was one of the best in the SEC playing with Jay Cutler. Ezell's the team that beat Cloudland in the Boro in 2001. If Shelley was about four inches taller, he would've been money somewhere. I think he was a great player, but some I've talked with say he's a product of Coach Scott Smith's (known by fans in NET as Coach Gilligan) system. At Ezell, Smith could handpick his talent with smart, athletic kids who could pick up his system which looked like a Division II college offense at the time.

Thanks for the info. Yes we all know about the new Science Hill coach "Gilligan", as some have called him. Souths best defensive game thus far was against his S.Hill team. There were so many hard licks that game, and the intensity was incredible. Coach Smith's system hasn't caught on up here yet.

A quote to the SS Rebs: "Immortals.... We'll put their name to the test."-King Leonidas

Were both stuck in weak confrences..nothing we can do about it , so were kinda in the same boat..but enough about us, we got plenty of time for that /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

agree...it's about South/Maryville /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />