Sullivan South v. Maryville

Philster043

As many others have said, this is the last post for me before game time. Leaving my employment around noon to pick up mama and head down the interstate. God be with all fans and players and parents as they make the drive down today. I, like 83Rebel, am a bit melancholy at the predictions but I know it CAN be done. South Rebels, BELIEVE TO ACHIEVE!

No matter what the outcome, all are winners in my book. Not too many have mentioned Coach Carter but he too is an outstanding young man. Good Christian morals and values and a great leader for our young men. He's impacting our men at South for the rest of their lives.

I too have enjoyed this post and am glad it was started.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, gameday is here.

Sol will probably have to miss this one because he ain't feeling that hot and feeling 100% for the trip to Atlanta to watch the Vols still trumps Maryville football (sorry RR and Stars) so I'll be listening to this one on the radio. I'm disappointed that I won't get to see Phillips play in person because he sounds like the real deal, but if he doesn't have some help, I think he can be contained.

I do think the visiting Rebels will keep this close for a while, but as long as Maryville's case of fumbleitis doesn't rear it's ugly head again, I don't think SS can outscore Maryville.

I don't do scores, but I'll say Maryville by 21, pulling away in the second half.

S. South hasn't faced Maryville type competition this year and should be at least

a 28 point underdog. If Maryville hits them hard in the first half it will be over.

South has been slow out of the gate and has been playing catch up . South does

have some good players but I don't believe they have enough to match up with

Maryville. The Toyota " Big East selectors " left the South QB ( Curt Phillips ) off

the East squad for whatever reason --oversight or ?? Maybe his 33 TD rushing and

10 TD passing wasn't enough to get their attention. It did get Wisconsin"s attention

so all is well that ends well.

South you have nothing to lose --play loose -- the ball may bounce your way.

GOOD LUCK !

Yea, I wondered myself why Mr. Phillips was left off the squad whit those outstand stats. He should be on the squad and maybe the #1 Starter for the All-star team. Must be politics that got Mr. Ryan on the team over Phillips because I have seen better QB's than Mr. Ryan from Knox West this year. Not an insult just my opinion on that but Phillips and maybe a few others should have been there before Ryan.

To be sure Phillips is the real deal in my opinion and Maryville will have their hands full stopping him. I don't think MHS will stop him; they will slow him enough to limit his impact. In the past ten years I have never seen any player, even the great ones (Caisson-Jackson, Central/Vandy or & G. Riggs, Red Bank/UT) run wild in the Maryville secondary. The Rebels of Maryville play too good position football to let that happen. We know slowing Mr. Phillips is the key to beating SS and I expect Maryville to out score Phillips and company even if MHS can't stop him. Maryville is not anything like Morristown East or West, or Greenville. Red Bank was also the real deal to everyone but Maryville and the Rebels took them apart early and often with stomachs full of ham and turkey! IF SS has played catch up ball mostly this year or are slow starters like another poster said, the game will be over early and Phillips will be padding his numbers vs. the second string. Maryville is very stingy with a lead.

One word of advice for SS. Don't come into Renfro Field shaking your heads or fists at the packed home crowd or do some kind of dry ice blow-up helmet team run through thing or something flashy coming on to the filed like you have done something because that just fires the Rebels up, and you don't want that. Ask TN High or Red Bank about play-off time in Maryville.

Have a safe drive down, enjoy the atmosphere and welcome to quality HS Football. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I believe 910 AM will carry the game in the Kingsport area. The station is available on their website, www.wjcw.com. They

Also, truthradio.tv will have the streaming.

2010 you are absolutely right this is the year of the unexpected but 14 at least? and to greyghost etcoach is a WB fan so you can leave your post.

Sir, I am a WB fan. However, I am also a Maryville fan unless they are playing WB. I don't think I am only allowed one allegiance, am I???

Maybe off topic, but what possessed you to pick 92%? Class of '92 maybe?!?!? Fortune favors the bold. Former mid here saying:

Go NAVY, BEAT Army!!!

very nice guess, but no. just chose it randomly. although '92 would be nice... that'd put me in line for about senior O-4, O-5 right??

Go Navy, Beat Army!

Go Rebels (M), Beat the Rebels (SS)

In a year when Appy state beats michigan, Stanford beats USC, Navy beats Notre Dame, there is likely going to be a national championship matchup of Mizzou and WVU, and my Bears are likely going to miss the playoffs a year after going to the super bowl, I have begun to expect the unexpected.

I like South big in this one. By 14 atleast.

(If i'm right i'm a genious, If I'm wrong just consider me the 59th moron to pick against Maryville)

vol2010, navy was only a 3.5 dog at ND, and it was played in S. Bend (proud to say i hit that one!)

in similar fashion, what would everyone say the line is tonight? O/U? i know someone stated earlier it would be at 58... little low i would think, i would def. take the over. Maryville puts up the points.

I have never been more impressed by a football program like I was last year when Maryville came down to Red Bank and won....They were awesome to watch from the fans, to the players, to the coaches.....However, I am pulling for Kurt Phillips and the Rebels tonight....I think this may be the year for them...

Good luck to both teams, and stay healthy.