Sullivan South v. Maryville

Philster043

The last time SS played a team with as much firepower as Maryville was the DB game at the first of the 2006 season. The result was 44-0 DB. Now I realize that was against a younger Curt Phillips, but the offense didn't give up the 44 points. I expect this game to have a similar score but South should score a couple times. Anyway good luck to both.

Prediction: Maryville 42

South 14

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on the 2006 figures (includes the sophomore class, not the freshman class), Maryville clearly jumped the ranks and should be in the 5A bracket. Right now they are larger than several 5A schools including Campbell County, McMinn, Ravenwood, and Gallatin. On the other hand, Sullivan South is at the other extreme. They could be a 3A school as, for example, they are smaller than Seymour which is 3A. Maryville enrollment (2006) is 1381 versus 1056 for Sullivan South. Maryville's time to shine is now, once realignment takes place the playing field will even out.

Anthony any enrollment figures you see on Maryville High School will include all four classes. Nowhere have I ever seen 10-12 grade figures. You have whinned about the WB game and like a million before you are now whinning about Maryville's classification. For every 100 students Maryville has above S South's enrollment how many play football? How many start? Unless you have these figures how can you ACCURATELY determine the difference those students make???? You like others post these numbers as if EVERY ONE OF THEM is a football player. There is NOT THAT MUCH DIFFERENCE between 5a and 4a ball in Tennessee. Guys like you, especially when talking about Maryville act as though it is going from MTSU to the SEC.

Well it`s almost game time should get to the BLACK HOLE about 5:30 to get a good seat good luck to both teams and all the S.S. fans have a safe trip down and there is good parking at the church across the street only $3.00 and have a good time while you are here. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> MARYVILLE 28 SULLAVIN SOUTH 14

Anthony any enrollment figures you see on Maryville High School will include all four classes. Nowhere have I ever seen 10-12 grade figures. You have whinned about the WB game and like a million before you are now whinning about Maryville's classification. For every 100 students Maryville has above S South's enrollment how many play football? How many start? Unless you have these figures how can you ACCURATELY determine the difference those students make???? You like others post these numbers as if EVERY ONE OF THEM is a football player. There is NOT THAT MUCH DIFFERENCE between 5a and 4a ball in Tennessee. Guys like you, especially when talking about Maryville act as though it is going from MTSU to the SEC.

One might also add that the TSSAA, by its own rules only does a re-evaluation of enrollment numbers every 5 years, I think it is. Not 100% sure on 5 years but I think it is something like that. Besides a post like this always finds its way into a game thread that nothing to do with the issue at hand. At least Anthony could wait to see if Maryville wins tonight before he starts whining and beating that old drum of 4A or 5A. Experts would agree during the past 8-10 years MHS could have bludgeoned most 5A teams in this state and quite a few in others so let's put this issue to rest.

It is time to head to the "Black Hole"! A place where many a great team comes in undefeated and termed "The Best ever' and leave on the team bus in disbelief and wonder about what just happened to them! They will never be the same and the list is long and distinguished. Good luck to both teams and let the best team of the night rule the day!

ITS???S FOOTBALL TIME IN MUR'VILLE"!

Prediction!

MHS 42

SSHS 21

/biggrin.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" />

Back in my HS days, I attended Good Ol' Sullivan South for 2.5 years then moved to Maryville and stayed a Rebel. I remember back in the day, South's Wild Eyed Southern Boys on the field, but nothing compares to the Maryville Rebel atmosphere from players to the fans in this day and age. There is no finer in TN. 4A or 5A Maryville, will continue to be in a class of their very own.

My girls have both attended MHS my oldest only saw one loss during her tenure and that was their last loss to West in the playoffs of 1984. My youngest is heading out the door tonight one game away from State and can say she's never seen her HS team lose. Not many classes can say their football team never lost a game while they were in HS. (and I hope I've not jinxed her.) However, I've read posts from the SS Rebels fans and appreciate the respect. We will show them nothing less tonight.

So welcome to Maryville, Sullivan South, don't be too disappointed on your trip home. As stated here many times, Maryville, is a well oiled fighting machine with more plans of attack on offense and defense than you will ever experience from any other team!! They are our MEN IN BLACK. Fear the Tradition!!!

Good Luck and I pray for the safety of each player as they go REBEL to REBEL tonight!!

I am not sure where you got that information, but maybe I was wrong; if so, I apologize. However, as I previously stated, I do not believe that a couple hundred kids can really affect the greatness of the football program, there are not any sophomore starters, and that would be the ONLY way it could really matter, because the starters and seniors have all been here for years. Also, the number of students at a school doesn??™t always determine the strength of the team anyhow, i.e., ALCOA, they are a great team who constantly took down two 5A teams (heritage and WB) and eventually those two teams dropped them from their schedule, but this thread isn??™t about our enrollment or any of that anyways, I just wanted to respond to what I was reading, so im moving on, but I wish yall would just get over trying to find any one thing wrong with us and just accept that we are succeeding right now, yes we will lose one day, but tonight, its not happening, hope everyone has a safe trip??¦.

My stats come from the TSSAA website. Check it out! I'm off to the game!!

Wow, I hate that I've missed out on this banter for the past couple of days. I'm out of town on business and won't be at the game tonight. It's killing me. These west coast folks I'm around just really cannot understand why I'm going to be sitting in my hotel room streaming a high school football game tonight...

Anyway, I said earlier in the week that my prediction model which is based all on number always sells Maryville a little short because it doesn't effectively consider the way that Maryville always exposes and exploits areas of weakness or what I call the "next level effect." My prediction model has Maryville winning 14-13.

So, what do I really think?

Well, I think that South gets introduced to the next level tonight. They've not seen it before, and there's no way to prepare for it without experience. They think that they're prepared, but they won't be.

Maryville's offense will be far more sophisticated than any they have ever seen. Perhaps it made sense while looking at film or against the practice squad, but in person it will be so much more challenging...and there WILL be NEW wrinkles that they have NEVER seen.

Maryville's defense is underrated. They are very disciplined, and fast. They gang tackle. The DBs will not need any help, and that will allow the front guys to focus on superman at quarterback.

I think South's defense get's overwhelmed and South's offense is held in check. South will move the ball and maybe even score on the first posession, and then you will see adjustments...great adjustments.

Maryville wins big. South learns what it takes to play at this level. Hopefully they will build on that and represent NET again for years to come. I wish the absolute best to both teams, their players, their coaches and their fans. I hope that the game and travel are both safe.

MHS -- 42

SS -- 14