Sullivan South v. Maryville

Philster043

The Maryville offense was a machine again. Brent Burnett is as good as any quarterback in Tennessee. The offensive line blocked great again. Tim Rodrigues and Thomas Shuler ran the ball well. Receivers were awesome. I figured Sullivan South would have a hard time stopping Maryville.

Curt Phillips is the real deal. He was awesome running the football. I thought #15 was tough running the football. 44 was a heck of a player. What killed South was too many kids play both sides of the ball. The fumble killed their chances of getting back in the game.

The crowd for Sullivan South was very loud.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No offense, but i hope Maryville rapes maplewood in the buro and hurts maplewood's freshman rb.

Great game Maryville! West TN is pulling for you. We've got a bit of a sour taste in our mouth's after tonight's game, and would've loved to had the chance to play against you. However it wasn't meant to be (this year anyways /wink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />). Good luck next week!!!

My initial observations on the game which I was fortunate enough to attend. I will admit I am not a frequent visitor to Maryville.

The town - nicer downtown than I expected.

The school enrollment - I was told at the game that M-ville has the highest enrollment in 4A and will certainly move up to 5A in the next reclassification in '09. True?

The stadium - cozy with the potential for an intimidating (for HS) noise level due to the lack of a track. Attendance was announced as ~4400. The crowd seemed larger to me. Parking not good but this is not a surprise for a facility built in the middle of a residential area. Very nice visitor stands. Field - worn out as all fields are this time of year.

The Red Rebels on O - too many weapons for South. Good WR with good speed and routes, great TE who caved in his side of the line, RBs better than expected, O line really stayed on their blocks, great passing QB with good pocket mobility (example the long TD throw in the first half after scramble).

The Red Rebels on D - good closing speed to the ball. Secondary prevented very much separation by South WRs. DE # 81 is a man and the best defensive player on the field.

Special Teams by Red and Blue - ho hum. Not a lot of punts and everyone pouched kickoffs for fair catches. Very conservative approach by both teams. The South fake punt was questionable and ineffective.

The Blue Rebels on O - Phillips is the best the offensive player on the field and the better QB (sorry, M-ville, but there would be no comparison with an equivalent supporting cast). The reverse field for a TD was one of the best HS plays I have seen this year. South WR could not get separation. RBs did well with the chances they got but how much of that is due to the total focus on Phillips by D game planning? Fumble on the 2 in the 3rd Quarter was the game changer. Should have been running the ball the last minute instead of throwing.

The Blue Rebels on D - highlight was the first play pressure of the M-ville QB and the resulting visitor crowd excitement; it went downhill after that. M-ville had a clear game plan to run and throw to their left. South could not really find an answer all night. Was victimized by the long pass in the first half and the run in the second half.

Overall, I thought the game "felt" closer than the score margin. Oh well, it doesn't really matter. Congratulations to M-ville for their outstanding program (the best in the history of TN HS Football) and the chance to win another title next week. Also, congratulations to South for their best season in ~ 15 years.

My initial observations on the game which I was fortunate enough to attend. I will admit I am not a frequent visitor to Maryville.

The town - nicer downtown than I expected.

The school enrollment - I was told at the game that M-ville has the highest enrollment in 4A and will certainly move up to 5A in the next reclassification in '09. True?

The stadium - cozy with the potential for an intimidating (for HS) noise level due to the lack of a track. Attendance was announced as ~4400. The crowd seemed larger to me. Parking not good but this is not a surprise for a facility built in the middle of a residential area. Very nice visitor stands. Field - worn out as all fields are this time of year.

The Red Rebels on O - too many weapons for South. Good WR with good speed and routes, great TE who caved in his side of the line, RBs better than expected, O line really stayed on their blocks, great passing QB with good pocket mobility (example the long TD throw in the first half after scramble).

The Red Rebels on D - good closing speed to the ball. Secondary prevented very much separation by South WRs. DE # 81 is a man and the best defensive player on the field.

Special Teams by Red and Blue - ho hum. Not a lot of punts and everyone pouched kickoffs for fair catches. Very conservative approach by both teams. The South fake punt was questionable and ineffective.

The Blue Rebels on O - Phillips is the best the offensive player on the field and the better QB (sorry, M-ville, but there would be no comparison with an equivalent supporting cast). The reverse field for a TD was one of the best HS plays I have seen this year. South WR could not get separation. RBs did well with the chances they got but how much of that is due to the total focus on Phillips by D game planning? Fumble on the 2 in the 3rd Quarter was the game changer. Should have been running the ball the last minute instead of throwing.

The Blue Rebels on D - highlight was the first play pressure of the M-ville QB and the resulting visitor crowd excitement; it went downhill after that. M-ville had a clear game plan to run and throw to their left. South could not really find an answer all night. Was victimized by the long pass in the first half and the run in the second half.

Overall, I thought the game "felt" closer than the score margin. Oh well, it doesn't really matter. Congratulations to M-ville for their outstanding program (the best in the history of TN HS Football) and the chance to win another title next week. Also, congratulations to South for their best season in ~ 15 years.

Sir that was a pretty fair and quality assessment of the game. I would not agree that CP was the best QB overall, a better runner no question. He had patients, incredible balance and durability. But his team should have allowed some of the other players to make an impact and a great QB places his surrounding cast into a position to make plays. He did not do that and called his own number when he could have passed it or pitched it on nimbus occasions. But it seems like SS stayed with what got them here. But that seldom will get you past a quality team during the post season. I speculate Phillips got his huge numbers by carrying the ball 85% of the time for SS this season and I don't know if he could have made the throws Burnett made of not. NET is not the brand of football this area has and if a team is one dimensional in anyway, they won't do well against the Knox Cent, West, Red Bank, Powell??™s, Halls and a few others. SS had a few open receivers but CP failed to spot them and make the throws. The throws he made were very sharp and on target, but 86 yards in the air vs. 250 yards on the ground won't win many games at the 4A level and against a team like Maryville that plays position football and gang tackles it will never get it done. Maryville plays one or two kids both ways but they rotate out and as long as the kid in the game is getting the job done, the coaching staff limits the snaps of two way players. One thing to note WR Shiver and TE Douglas, big time impact players did not even hurt SS that much last night and normally they do come up huge. GQ did not even have to call that razzel dazzle hook and ladder type of play because SS could not even force a punt! SS had one stop on 6 of 7 3rd down plays.

My congratz to SS, they played their hearts out, with class and determination and had their dreams crushed. Like many who have entered ???The Black Hole??? few have ever come out to advance. I am sure Coach Carter and staff will be back in the not too distant future and they had a fine season. And my thanks goes to their great fans, you guys travel well and support your team and also had a great deal of class and respect. You packed the visitor side better than most even though I know there were a few haters from other schools among the numbers.

As for Maryville it is time to take on another monster, beast, and best ever, faster, more athletic, tougher, bigger, and stronger or whatever it will be called next week in the papers and on this board. See you in the Burro, the Holiday vacation spot of the Maryville Red Rebels!

Since the upper east TN crowd still has Maryville's attention for one more day, what kind of off season does Maryville have and how do you guys keep producing so many great athletes? It seems that Upp East TN can produce one superb person on the field with a decent enough crew around them to make things happen, but at the next level it shows that as a team, your Maryvilles and Alcoas and etc. just produce full teams of the little (well big) beasts. I'm not putting down Souths supporting cast, that's 12 wins and that isn't something to snub your nose at, but you have to wonder why the difference is so big.

Good luck at State next week and I have to say that overall, I'm very impressed with the attitude and demeanor of the Maryville fans.

Well the game has been played and Maryville was the best team on the field and showed why they win so much .For Sullivan South all I have to say is CLASS ACT the fans and players were great there were no cheap shots players helping each other up after the play your fans were great . Phillips was as advertised great Q.B. and should do well at the next level number 15 looked like he was on a mission late in the game hold your head high and good luck next year. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Since the upper east TN crowd still has Maryville's attention for one more day, what kind of off season does Maryville have and how do you guys keep producing so many great athletes? It seems that Upp East TN can produce one superb person on the field with a decent enough crew around them to make things happen, but at the next level it shows that as a team, your Maryvilles and Alcoas and etc. just produce full teams of the little (well big) beasts. I'm not putting down Souths supporting cast, that's 12 wins and that isn't something to snub your nose at, but you have to wonder why the difference is so big.

Good luck at State next week and I have to say that overall, I'm very impressed with the attitude and demeanor of the Maryville fans.

I can't speak for Alcoa because in my opinion 2A in ET is not anything like 4A or 5A. 2A has been down for many years and it seems Alcoa never has a close game or a loss except when they step outside of 2A. Alcoa has a great program and once you get a program on the top, the underclassman are driven to keep it there, believe they can and never question the coaching staff because the staff has proven they can get it done. Alcoa could defeat many 4A and 5A teams most nights but the good ones would give them fits. But I think they could be 1A and play up to 2A and that is admirable in my opinion.

As for Maryville they never expect a cake walk or look past an opponent. They know what it is like to not play well and lose to a team that they should not have. Some of the little brothers who are not seniors still talk about that last two or three losses. MHS has a great fan base and booster & QB clubs in the support roles. The season starts again on Jan 3rd or 4th with the weights and conditioning. In School, supervised or not in the health clubs or at home. If you want to play for Maryville you got to be ready to put out in practice and follow team rules. It don't matter who you are or how big you maybe, if you can't get the job done you don't get to start in the games but many could play for most teams because of the development structure here. IF you get into trouble off the field and GQ gets wind of it, you might be done. The coaching staff does a great job and get's as many of the younger kids into the ball games as possible on Friday nights when the games are in hand and it appears in the judgment of the staff that the other team has the wind out of their sail. This gives many sophs and non starters an opportunity to get on the field Friday nights vs. the other teams starters. Like last night SS was finished with over 10 min. to go in the game IMO, and GQ and company started sending in underclassman and non starters. Few kids get to play both ways every snap, these things develop depth and when injury comes, like it does to most teams Maryville always has a kid with game experience to step in and play the position about as well as the starter does. There are many factors but Maryville has a program like few others in the country and the record speaks for itself. Maryville will lose a few in the future for sure but the train that is rolling right now will take some time to stop. Maryville will also be going to 5A in 09 I think and if most of the coaching staff stays in place and the kids keep believing and working the Rebels will be competitive at that level as well.

Maryville is blessed with great athletes. Maryville is blessed with great coaches. Maryville was voted the 9th best city in America to live by A&E. Denso moved into Maryville 20 years ago. Both those things has made Maryville get real big. Denso and Alcoa Alumnium are 2 of the biggest employers in East Tennessee. Maryville is a great city to raise a family. I wouldn't live nowhere else. The Maryville Rebels have great community support. Maryville High School games are always packed. I also know a lot of people who don't go to the games but listen on the radio every friday night. My mom and dad are two of those people who do that.

Maryville has unbelievable feeder programs. You have some Maryville youth league coaches that have coached their teams for the last 25 years. One coach has coached his team the last 40 years. 3 guys have coached for 25 years 1 has coached over 40. Another has coached for over 10 years. A lot of these coaches have had the same assistants during that time. By the time those kids get in high school they know the fundementals of football. Another thing that helps is if a kid that is really good football player has a dad that gets a real good job in the Knoxville area one of the 1st places he looks at living in is Maryville. That is because Maryville has been winning. Maryville is also a great school academically.

Its not recruiting , it just seems some fathers will let their kids live or use the address of a relative to play for a program or some will even move if there job is located near enough for the drive. Others wwill pay tuition and they probably have high intereest at the feeder programs etc... which does not happen here in the NET. They are in the HOT bed for college prospects and we are in the cold bed....

Was at the game last night and there are so many things on my mind. First about the game, Maryville was and is all that is advertised, you had my respect before and you certainly still have my respect. I wish you all the very best next week in the boro. Two plays stand out in my mind. After South had tied the game at 7, I did feel we had some momentum, we had the Red Rebels in a 3rd and long and had flushed QB Burnette out of the pocket with pressure, then he and his reciever made a heck of play. Our corner pulled off his coverage to go after QB Burnette, and the reciever, didn't catch his name, wisely signaled Burnette to throw it long, which he did and well momentum changed quickly. Then South moved the ball in the third with a chance to score and make the game close again, but the fumble ended all hopes of anything. Maryville's offense is so very fine tuned, we had no answer to the big play. I agree with FBEmeritus that I saw several South receivers break open but Curt wouldn't pull the trigger, it's easy to say that sitting in the stands, but none the less, the better team won and we as a program can learn from this. We need to learn what it takes to take it to that next level. The boys, from both squads, impressed me after the game. Most of them just didn't shake hands, they hugged each other. Thank you all for the comments on our crowd. We do love our Rebels and we do travel well.

Now I have to say this to the Rebels of Coach Stacy Carter, you, the players, were not even born when I graduated from Sullivan South in 1983. The school was built and opened in 1980 and I was fortunate enough to be able to watch this school come together and field some very quality teams in the 1980's and early 90's. The basis was formed early for success of the program. In the mid 90's thru most of the early 2000's the program suffered mightily from, well bad choices, and a lot of us proud Southern Alumni wondered if we would ever see a return of our proud program. Then came Coach Carter and I knew immediately that he would have a great impact on the program and these young men's lives. Stacy is a class act all the way and words cannot describe how much appreciation I have for him and his staff for what they have done to restore pride back in Death Valley. I know they will go to work and learn from this loss and do what it takes to take it to the next level. I remember seeing an, I believe a 14 year old freshman at the time, enter the game at Tennessee High by the name of Curt Phillips and thinking he is going to be good. I don't know if you read this Curt, but you never disappointed, you always played hard and I know that we will continue to hear great things about you at Wisconsin. Congrats on everything you deserve! To the Rebel seniors you will do well at whatever path you choose to take, make wise choices and thank you for restoring pride in Death Valley football! Taylor Fletcher #15 is probably one of my favorite players, he is running full speed when the ball is handed to him and he keeps churning for more yardage. We have quite a few coming back for next year, we need to work hard in the off season and like I said do what it takes to make it back here again. Thank you Rebels and good luck Red Rebels!!