Sullivan South v. Maryville

Philster043

I also want to recant a little bit of my knock on Phillips arm strength. He looked like he has a little more zip then I thought when I watched him last night. Someone told me that some other schools were looking at Curt as a TE. I know hes made up his mind, but is there any truth to other schools looking at him at other positions?

After watching last nights game, I will say this. I think the coaches at South are getting a lot of credit when Curt and the other players deserve it all. Their whole play book last night was QB sweeps and straight gives to fletcher then when they threw it was a simple flat-slant/post combination making it an easy read for Phillips. The truth is they run their offense under the guise of a read option, but not one time did Curt really read the defensive end. He either handed it to Fletcher or on occasion made a cheap fake and headed the other way. For the spread offense to be as effective as it can be you have to be able to read it. And I don't understand why coach carter wouldn't trust a 4 year letterman (if i've been informed correctly he didn't start as a freshman) to read an option. If I'm wrong someone please correct me....I just want some more info on this.

Also, in 4A football it's really tought to play your starting QB, and best player, on offense, defense, punt, punt return, and kickoff return and him not be completely gassed by the end of the game.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maryville doesn't make it to Murfreesboro without Burnett. Burnett makes all the throws. He keeps his composure. He has good pocket awareness. He reads defenses very well. He is a great quarterback and a winner. Don't think for a minute he doesn't make those other players better. He also has a chance to put a 4th ring on his fingers.

aww you beat me to it. great post.

and last time i checked, "to suit" meant to dress and be on the field. its not an insult.

Burnette is a pretty good QB, but he is lucky enough to be in this system. A very good 5A school playing down to 4A. If your QB is so much better than Phillips why was it when they were both at the same combines this summer, when they seperate the QBs into different groups(The really good ones and the mediocre ones) he was put with latter. He is a pretty good QB, be proud of him but be careful how much you boast.

For God's sake quit whinning 5A vs 4A. You got beat deal with it. I never said anyone was "that much" better than anyone. Burnette threw for close to 300 last night. Phillips threw for 86 and ran it like 30 times. Thus the runningback quarterback statement. If I could have the statement back I would. NEVER meant to step on Curt Phillips or anyone else's toes. Everyone has come unglued over this and all the while saying, Maryville is 5A, Burnette just plays in a good system blah blah. It doesn't get much more hypocritical than that.

The boast and the truth is Phillips is a great QB. There is no doubt about that . Burnette is a great QB also and there is no doubt about that either. Playing this ###### for tat who is better game is fun but not very productive.

Now boasting about a QB who leads an undefeated team is expected and Burnette deserves it. No one can take away what he has acomplished this season not even Phillips.The boasting goes to the winner and Burnette is a winner.

Individually Phillips is better but this is a team game and the results of this season speak loudly as to who is the better team QB.That involves more than being the most physically talented which to a great extent cannot be controlled.doing all required of you and playing to your full potential makes the difference.Burnette has a good arm and great accuracy, he throws a catchable ball and throws to the right guy most of the time. He understands the offense and runs it perfectly.The system and schemes are great but it takes the right QB to run it and Burnette is the right one.That is what makes him a great QB and what makes him standout amongst other QB's in the state.

you can take a backhanded slam at Burnette and feel good about Phillips but a great QB is the one who separates himself into the group who is standing on the field at Murfreesboro with a championship. I think if you ask him he would take that over being in a certain group at a combine.If you ask Phillips I think he would take it too.

So yes we all can boast about Burnette and the fact he is the best QB because of where he can take Maryville.That is what a WQB does and if he does his job the best that makes him the best.

Yes I'm sure he would, but I don't hear anybody on here from South runnin' their mouth making Curt out to be the next Peyton Manning like you are. So why are there no more D1 offers? You brag, brag,brag about how superior he is, where are they. He made some good throws last night but from where I was sitting(in very supprisingly small stands) most of the night his recievers were usually ten yards away from the DBs. Yes he is leading his team to a 5A championship game..oops 4A and it does take a special QB to do that, but to say he's the best in the state? C'mon, I think your blinded by your own school colors. Oh and about the combines, no backhanded slap meant toward him just the arrogant ones on here making him out to be the best thing since sliced bread. I'm just stating the facts, and I didn't want to tell it but sombody has to tell the truth on here amongst all the bragging. You beat us , no debating that,but some Marryville fans, not all, want to rub Souths' nose in it too, occasionally throwing in backhanded compliments. Show the class some said of you on here before the game. There have been few exceptions of that on here from Marryville fans. Oh and after Burnette's season is over ask him that same question again....you might get a different answer. I hope you guys have an injury free chamionship game...but I'll be pullin for the underdog.

Just a phrase. To say suit it means to play to me. The fact is the majority of HS athletes who sign with a college, especially at the D1 level, never get to play. Many things can hinder a kids chance to play for the school signed he with. It's a job at that level, not just a fun game. He is doing the right thing in getting ready for the spring practice and I hope he does well, truly. Every kid who can play at the big time D1 level helps to make East Tennessee HS football more respectable, as it really should be. Good luck to the young man and his family.

OK, I understand where you are coming from and you are right.....high school success on the field doesn't guarantee that there will be success at the next level.

I have said my peace on this matter and will leave with one final comment. Best wishes to both Brent Burnette and Curt Phillips in the future. The very fact that those two guys are the subject of so much internet banter testifies to what kind of players they are. If they weren't excellent players, no one would be talking on here about them.

can we lay to rest the phillips vs burnette argument?? both are OUSTANDING HS qbs. bottomline. and both will be talked about for yrs to come on the "best ET qbs in the last 10 yrs" threads that pop up every year. they both make plays, period. they both work outstanding in their system. great qbs do just that-- they take the playbook their coaches give them and try to win the game for their team....they dont decide what O's their school runs... they only control how hard they work and how hard they play. and both these kids do both of these things, as were evidenced last night!!

quit this crazy talk about burnette being a system qb (he makes all the throws asked of him and has great arm strength) and phillips calling his own # (hs qbs dont call their own plays.... and he didnt look like he made too many bad reads on the option). they are top notch qbs and i look forward to keeping up with BOTH of them as their respective careers progress.

Just a phrase. To say suit it means to play to me. The fact is the majority of HS athletes who sign with a college, especially at the D1 level, never get to play. Many things can hinder a kids chance to play for the school signed he with. It's a job at that level, not just a fun game. He is doing the right thing in getting ready for the spring practice and I hope he does well, truly. Every kid who can play at the big time D1 level helps to make East Tennessee HS football more respectable, as it really should be. Good luck to the young man and his family.

let me reinterate that i am neither a SS or Maryville fan, though i did cheer for Maryville last night being a knoxville guy. i respect both teams greatly, esp maryville as i follow them quite closely. but lets stop on the phillips knocking-- SS doesnt travel to maryville if not for him.... heck he played 95% of the plays last night. and it is correct that he is enrolling early at wisc. from my understanding. lets all wish him well, and more importantly, luck. lets look at carl stewart.... he got unlucky and played/plays behind nfl caliber backs. yet he has stuck it out and contributes year in year out at AUBURN!!!!! like FBE stated, lets cheer all these kids on and hope they give football here in ET a better name!

Actually its worst for South. Good prospects that live in Sullivan County frequently go to Dobbins Bennett, so actually South loses players that way. For Maryville its the opposite, they attract the prospects from their county and outlyng areas.

False! Maybe used to be that way 3 to 4 years ago, but now we have actualy lost a few to South! And what I mean by lost a few is they are staying home and not moving to the city, Also this past year we had a couple move to the county out of the city.

Stacy is a great coach, and his is getting the job done over on the south side.

Fans backing their guy is admirable but knocking either QB in any shape, form or fashion is crazy! Their play on the field speaks highly for them. They are COMPETITORS that leave it all out on the field!! We pick a game every week to attend and my bunch was sure glad we picked this one as I'm sure others were. It was a fans delight getting to watch burnette and phillips on the same field. Good luck to both