The RAT Plan

riverrat

He was using others' arguments...

Privates don't recruit...it is illegal. Some privates give aid. They are already in DII. Ignorance isn't bliss.

You can't sit there and tell me that NO private schools recruit because it is illegal. Maybe they don't have paid scouts that scower the country side looking for the best athletes , but just about all of them have a website with pictures of championship trophy's beautiful fields , gyms and weight rooms. When 3 time state title winning coach so n so goes to coach a threee letter school it's all over the news. and when joe's boy is the freshman QB for a three letter school and Joe see's a 6-4 275 pound eighth grader play he says hey coach so n so could use you at three letter school, heres his # and website for the school. Maybe they don't recruit like UT but it IS being done.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't sit there and tell me that NO private schools recruit because it is illegal. Maybe they don't have paid scouts that scower the country side looking for the best athletes , but just about all of them have a website with pictures of championship trophy's beautiful fields , gyms and weight rooms. When 3 time state title winning coach so n so goes to coach a threee letter school it's all over the news. and when joe's boy is the freshman QB for a three letter school and Joe see's a 6-4 275 pound eighth grader play he says hey coach so n so could use you at three letter school, heres his # and website for the school. Maybe they don't recruit like UT but it IS being done.

Some private schools recruit just like some public schools recruit. Nice facilities are in some private schools and public schools as are poor facilities in both types of schools. Most private schools are in urban locations or suburbs of cities and parents select private schools for a variety of reasons: safety, strong academic programs, small classrooms, fine art's programs, athletics... Don't blame the private schools for the problems of some public schools. The urban public schools are now loosing their better students to academic magnet schools (which cost the families zero to attend) and private schools which charge tuition.

cbg,

You should be thanking the good lord that there is public education. We teach the masses, not just the rich, smart, and healthy, we teach them all, including the poor, learning disabled, and the physically challenged. Don't try to compare private education with public education, because there is no comparison.

cbg,

You should be thanking the good lord that there is public education. We teach the masses, not just the rich, smart, and healthy, we teach them all, including the poor, learning disabled, and the physically challenged. Don't try to compare private education with public education, because there is no comparison.

While I disagree I do respect your opinion.

None of what you mention is recruiting and ANY good program public or private attracts good players. If a coach goes and talks at a kid THAT is recruiting and they should get sanctioned. Are you saying this doesn't go on with publics schools too? If it does, then how is it an advantage for privates?

cbg,

Gov,

You are just flat wrong, but I know why. It is your assumption that all privates are alike. Most of the DI privates are smaller, religious based schools that don't have selective admissions. In other words, their student body is made up of exactly the people you mentioned. They are not the selective admissions big prep schools that you seem to think they all are. Our student body is every bit as diverse academically, racially and physically as any suburban school's. With the exception that we don't have as many poor kids, but that isn't because we don't want them, it is because we have to pay for everything so we have to charge tuition.

So climb down off your high and mighty horse, we teach the same kids you do, the difference is that because the TSSAA thinks that it should discriminate against poor kids who go to private schools, if we help them attend they can't play athletics. Yours can.

p.s. I LOVE public education. My whole family is full of educators from the Kindergarten to the College level with some home school folks tossed in. I think access to an education for everyone is a cornerstone of Democracy. I also think that (especially in the larger metro areas) there are some real problems with some of the systems. Enough problems that I choose not to subject my kids to them. And I want my kids to be in a Christian environment. But I gladly pay my share of taxes to support public ed and I would even be for paying more if I thought it would help the problems some of our systems have. And I have plenty of family and friends who teach in publics schools...they are heroes just like ALL teachers are.

cbg,

Hey, Gov. They do compare, in some areas. Today's private schools have changed with the times. With the great competition for students in metro areas, private schools have developed programs that reach out to many of these students you mentioned. I've worked in both types of schools (public and private) and so has my wife. Currently we work in two different private schools and in our work we work with the learning disabled, the emotionally unstable, the physically challenged.

Check it out, many private schools now have speiclaized programs for these unique students. Of course, the poor are not present. But, the people who send their children to private schools are not all working in executive positions for Fortune 500 companies. Everyday, I see landscapers, plumbers, mechanics, carpenters, masons, electricians, car salespeople, public school teachers, etc. bringing their children to school along with the managers, owners, professionals, and other well-paid workers. There are many parents who sacrifice a better home, better vacations, more "toys" to send their children to a school they feel meets their needs best.

Not all privates are like BGA, MBA, Ensworth, BA, or many other "elite" privates. Many exist due to religious reasons and these schools are the ones that are reaching out to these unique students.

Hey, Gov. They do compare, in some areas. Today's private schools have changed with the times. With the great competition for students in metro areas, private schools have developed programs that reach out to many of these students you mentioned. I've worked in both types of schools (public and private) and so has my wife. Currently we work in two different private schools and in our work we work with the learning disabled, the emotionally unstable, the physically challenged.

Check it out, many private schools now have speiclaized programs for these unique students. Of course, the poor are not present. But, the people who send their children to private schools are not all working in executive positions for Fortune 500 companies. Everyday, I see landscapers, plumbers, mechanics, carpenters, masons, electricians, car salespeople, public school teachers, etc. bringing their children to school along with the managers, owners, professionals, and other well-paid workers. There are many parents who sacrifice a better home, better vacations, more "toys" to send their children to a school they feel meets their needs best.

Not all privates are like BGA, MBA, Ensworth, BA, or many other "elite" privates. Many exist due to religious reasons and these schools are the ones that are reaching out to these unique students.

Soccerdad I'll agree with your statement. "Religious" Private schools have popped up everywhere. Which I personally find sad, that these parents have given up on their local public school system or that their local school system can't offer a more faith based education. However, I do believe that most comments that "pubic school" people make on these threads are aim at that "elite" group that you mentioned.

I find it frustating when people paint with a broad brush whether they be pro public or pro private. And yes I've been guilty of this as well on these threads. However, as I see it what we have now Nobody's Happy or can tolerate the current system. So lets scrap it and split'em or try a merit system. But what what TSSAA does needs to be radical change.

Soccerdad I'll agree with your statement. "Religious" Private schools have popped up everywhere. Which I personally find sad, that these parents have given up on their local public school system or that their local school system can't offer a more faith based education. However, I do believe that most comments that "pubic school" people make on these threads are aim at that "elite" group that you mentioned.

I find it frustating when people paint with a broad brush whether they be pro public or pro private. And yes I've been guilty of this as well on these threads. However, as I see it what we have now Nobody's Happy or can tolerate the current system. So lets scrap it and split'em or try a merit system. But what what TSSAA does needs to be radical change.

Thanks MVM for your thoughtful words! Yes, I too find it sad that public education has had to be given up in certain areas. But it's not due as much to the academics as it is to the intolerable social/moral decline many find happening in metro areas. As you probably read above, I've been in both AND I've had my kids in both - right now my last one is in a public school. However, we moved to find a school with a better social/moral climate .

and you can't sit there and tell me no publics recruit...people cheat...in all types of schools

MVM

Here is the rub. If people on these boards are talking about the elite preps, then they are talking about DII schools. There aren't any more preps that I know of in DI...they are all religious schools. So if the justifications for splitting or multiplying the DI privates are all about DII schools, where does that leave us?

Thanks MVM for your thoughtful words! Yes, I too find it sad that public education has had to be given up in certain areas. But it's not due as much to the academics as it is to the intolerable social/moral decline many find happening in metro areas. As you probably read above, I've been in both AND I've had my kids in both - right now my last one is in a public school. However, we moved to find a school with a better social/moral climate .

I contend that the small privates are the metro equivalent of the small rural publics. Sense of community, smaller student body, committed teachers and parents, etc. as opposed to your average 2500 kid mega highschool that is the norm in metro systems. I'm thinking if I lived in a rural county I would be happy for my kids to attend public school...amazingly, it is the rural publics who hate the small privates the worst. I wonder if it is because we are both so similar?