Alcoa vs Goodpasture

Tornado89

Yeah! What MCW said /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Really none of those questions needed to be answered on a board about the Alcoa GP game. oops that might be the problem- I think that guy is from the other GP (Gatlinburg Pittman). But I believed you appeased him by acknowledging his rhetorical question. Scoring 36 points on Alcoa is a great moral victory. Now can we get back to the subject of this week's 2A championship game? Alcoa vs. Goodpasture part III

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From carltodeewhite "Last, I issue a challenge to Alcoa. I know its not about this thread. Someone on a previous thread made the statement "It's all about the kids". I think not. If it was Alcoa would not continue to have athletes that do not meet the minimum NCAA standards. In this day and time it should not continually happen (occasionly maybe). My challenge is that Alcoa institute a program to fix this problem that has actually gone on for decades. I'm sure we will read many excuses but remember "it's all about the kids". If it is address it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

You are absolutely right Alcoa needs to change something so that they are not embarrassed every year when its students don't qualify or have to go to schools below their talent level. This problem is not the fault of the football program but solely the responsibility of the school. Every year Alcoa ranks in the top of the state in standardized test scores, so it obvious the quality of education is not lacking, but then why do so many athletes not qualify? Alcoa has ridiculously high academic standards and this prevents many students from having a GPA that qualify. Last year??™s senior class had multiple students that had 30+ ACT scores but GPAs that started with 3. The average GPA of a student with a 30+ ACT score is, according to the ACT's website, over 4.0. Students have made Bs in classes at Alcoa and then gone on to make the highest grade in their class in the same subject at the university they attended. Alcoa's athletes are not stupid Alcoa High School chooses to prevent them from being the most successful college athlete they can be. Seven, yearlong classes plays a significant role in how difficult the school is. Most schools have semesters which allow students to take four classes at a time, at Alcoa they take seven classes at one time making the work load much higher and also this prevents students from taking an 8th easy class to boost their GPA.

Another issue that effects all of TN not only Alcoa is the states grading scale. In GA FL and TX the grading scale is 90-100 A 80-89 B and 70-79- C and 0-69 F. With this scale it is almost impossible for students with nominal intellect to have a GPA below 2.0. This factor is large contributor to why these states produce more D1 talent than most.

Alcoa student athletes work their butts off in the classroom if they didn't they would not have the grades to play according to TSSAA standards. Something does need to be changed and that is putting Alcoa on the same level of academic standards as the rest of the state because the rigorous grading is a disservice to all Alcoa students.

Just my 2 little cents...........my Son is enjoying a wonderful time at Maryville College Academically as well as playing football, he played as a freshman and he did receive playing time.......even got him a touch down. Another team mate that was left off the list of College Players was Cody Marsh, he plays for Maryville College as well.

Now with that said...................Bring on them Cougars!!!

Let's Go Big A!!!!

From carltodeewhite "Last, I issue a challenge to Alcoa. I know its not about this thread. Someone on a previous thread made the statement "It's all about the kids". I think not. If it was Alcoa would not continue to have athletes that do not meet the minimum NCAA standards. In this day and time it should not continually happen (occasionly maybe). My challenge is that Alcoa institute a program to fix this problem that has actually gone on for decades. I'm sure we will read many excuses but remember "it's all about the kids". If it is address it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

You are absolutely right Alcoa needs to change something so that they are not embarrassed every year when its students don't qualify or have to go to schools below their talent level. This problem is not the fault of the football program but solely the responsibility of the school. Every year Alcoa ranks in the top of the state in standardized test scores, so it obvious the quality of education is not lacking, but then why do so many athletes not qualify? Alcoa has ridiculously high academic standards and this prevents many students from having a GPA that qualify. Last year??™s senior class had multiple students that had 30+ ACT scores but GPAs that started with 3. The average GPA of a student with a 30+ ACT score is, according to the ACT's website, over 4.0. Students have made Bs in classes at Alcoa and then gone on to make the highest grade in their class in the same subject at the university they attended. Alcoa's athletes are not stupid Alcoa High School chooses to prevent them from being the most successful college athlete they can be. Seven, yearlong classes plays a significant role in how difficult the school is. Most schools have semesters which allow students to take four classes at a time, at Alcoa they take seven classes at one time making the work load much higher and also this prevents students from taking an 8th easy class to boost their GPA.

Another issue that effects all of TN not only Alcoa is the states grading scale. In GA FL and TX the grading scale is 90-100 A 80-89 B and 70-79- C and 0-69 F. With this scale it is almost impossible for students with nominal intellect to have a GPA below 2.0. This factor is large contributor to why these states produce more D1 talent than most.

Alcoa student athletes work their butts off in the classroom if they didn't they would not have the grades to play according to TSSAA standards. Something does need to be changed and that is putting Alcoa on the same level of academic standards as the rest of the state because the rigorous grading is a disservice to all Alcoa students.

For some reason a lot of people want to say that Alcoa has had a problem with students meeting the standards to be able to play. A problem that has gone on for decades is quite a bold statement. It seems that you want to pick out a few kids who did not do what they were supposed to academically and lump them in with a group of young men over the last few years that did qualify and those guys should also be recognized. How about giving credit to those who took care of their business in the classroom and tried to set good examples.

97'-Kory Conner- MTSU, Kareem Coffin-ETSU

99'- Chris Talley, Robert Hill-Carson- Newman, Cisco Aponte-ETSU

2001'- Jonathan Meschendorf-Cumberland college, Johnathan Harris-ETSU, James Rainer-Western Carolina-ETSU

2002'-Michael George-ETSU

2006-Brandon Warren-FSU, Martin White-APSU, Logan Love-UT

2007-Kyrus Lanxter UK, Chris Shiverdecker Carson Newman, Darrell Tate, Corey Brewer, cody marsh- maryville college

2008- Randall Cobb, UK or UT will qualify

So dont take 2 or 3 kids and say that alcoa does not do what they are supposed to. And when it comes down to it it is the will of the kid to take care of his business in the classroom. The teachers at Alcoa dont give free passes to athletes which is the way it is supposed to be. You look at some high schools and players the caliber of a Dustin Lindsey qualify no matter what because it is handed to them and some cant even read. so I think you should be proud of the academics at Alcoa for showing its about more than scoring TD's and really trying to teach these young men the academic tools they need to make it.

Just my 2 little cents...........my Son is enjoying a wonderful time at Maryville College Academically as well as playing football, he played as a freshman and he did receive playing time.......even got him a touch down. Another team mate that was left off the list of College Players was Cody Marsh, he plays for Maryville College as well.

Now with that said...................Bring on them Cougars!!!

Let's Go Big A!!!!

HEY VETTASUE ? YOU WOULDN'T HAPPEN TO BE THE WIFE OF THE DUKE, WOULD YA?

WAS JUST WONDERING. FROM SISTER OF SAM.

GO ALCOA

GO MARYVILLE

GO FULTON

Alcoa wins this one by a lot, just as bad as the previous years. No one in 2A can compare to them. They will dominate again. Goodpasture might as well not show up because they will just get blown off the field I'm sure TSSAA can mail them their annual silverball. Just one more really good 1A team for Alcoa to run over. To bad no one else in 2A will get a chance to win a championship for the next decade. /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />