Smyrna vs. Independence

I have a feeling that it will be down to the wire, these are two great teams. I went to the state title game last year, and I honestly think that the crowd will be larger this year than it was last year. Indy brings a ton of people to games. Millington was rather surprised at our attendance turn out last week.

yeah plus..its never been 2 11-3 teams going at it...and an 11-3 team hasnt won in years

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this game is going to be sick. the last 48 minutes of high school foot ball for about 50 seniors players and the last game of the year for both teams. I haven't been able to focus in class for the last 5 weeks.

i know....im thinking senior year and possibly going out back to back champs..its like heck yeah......haha you can tell...my grades have reaaly dropped this six weeks..this week i havent even picked up a pencile im so distracted.....no matter who wins its gonna be a great game

Very unpredictable game. Smyrna has to be the "logical" favorite, but Indy has overcome an amazing amount of adversity and criticism this year. If I had to bet, I'd bet on Smyrna...

...but I don't, so go Indy Eagles!! Wilco rules.

Not sure if I follow you on overcoming the adversity part. Please explain, because I know that you are not referring to loosing Gilligan and having Eubanks take over or having Gilligan's recruit (QB) quit school, which was great for the team, school, and every one involved. One thing is for certain if either of the two were still here then Independence would have ended their season along time ago. And that is a FACT!

a few notes:

1. QB Sonny Grays 3 year record in playoff/chamionship games 11 wins and one loss. He also was qb for Smyrna middle when they won the mid state championship and were un defeated. His team never lost a game when he was qb at UNA during his youth league days. He is a kid used to wining

2. Smyrnas defense is giving up 9.5 points a game and held cookeville and wilson central scoreless after the half.

lincon county did not cross mid field till the score was 36 to 2 and bearden was held scoreless for 3 qtrs. The Smyrna defense is as much a part of why Smyrna is here as anything else.

3. rod wilks going back to the last 3 playoff games of 2006 has 30 tds. He has scored on receptions,interceptions,punt returns and kick off returns.

4. Smyrnas kicker has made all of his PATS and both his field goals in the last 2 games and more importantly he has hit all of them very well. He was kicking the ball great at practice off the artificial surface at Vandy.

5. No one realizes what Smyrna had to over come to get here this year. Smyrna lost 3 of there 4 starting line backers all seniors. Josh Day the bcbs bowl defensive mvp got hurt during the pre season and never played. Smyrna also lost Carr and Craig. Smyrna now plays 2 and some times 3 sophmors and a freshman at LB.

6. Smyrna starts 2 freshman #22 Bryson at tb ( nearly 1200 yards and 11 tds) everyone knows about but they also start a freshman mlb #38 Deon Meadows who many do not realize even around Smyrna is even at around 200 pounds and 6 ft tall probalby the fastest player on the team.

7. Smyrna has not lost a game away from home since 2005 12 wins and no loses.

For all Smyrna fans there will be a bonfire and pep rally at the school this friday night at 7 pm for the entire commuinity. Everyone is invited be sure to get the word out!

TCB

Not sure if I follow you on overcoming the adversity part. Please explain, because I know that you are not referring to loosing Gilligan and having Eubanks take over or having Gilligan's recruit (QB) quit school, which was great for the team, school, and every one involved. One thing is for certain if either of the two were still here then Independence would have ended their season along time ago. And that is a FACT!

i think they are talking about the teams you've beaten

He's talking about last four years of the program, first year varsity going 1-9, then Tommy Johnson's death, then narrowly missing the playoffs, to losing their coach (prob. a good thing but many schools wouldn't bounce back as fast), to losing our starting QB, to every game in the play-offs us being picked to loose. for exmple. we wouldn't be able to handle Antioch's athelets. we couldn't get past Franklin's D, NO way we could stop Millington's running game and no way we could win.... but we did. INDY is always underestimated, which is the way they like it. or in other words, overcoming adversity.

312 is an improvement from 470 in the WS game.

So let's say we SLOWED down the running game. Also may I remind you that we held Millington to 6 pts in the 2nd half. That's a lot to be said about the Indy D too.

Some notes about Indy (only a couple):

-Indy has overcome adversity too (idk if you knew this, all teams pretty much overcome adversity btw. It's probably the most overused statement I've read on the boards lately)

-Heckman (QB) has never lost as a starter.

-Field goal kicker missed 2 PATs, one to an insanely fast kid the reached him from the far side of the snap and the other to an errant snap (other than that he's lights out)

-Indy has the most balanced game I've seen in a LONG time. Run, pass, tricks, special teams, etc. More talent on this team than most.

Bottomline: We could both go all day with the stats and stuff, but at the end of the day we're both even and this game will be close. Just like Millington was for us and Bearden was for you.

Good luck to both Smyrna and Indy! This will be a great football game! WOW! Smyrna sure has had alot of underclassmen step up in starting rolls! That can only mean much success in the future also! Go Smyrna!

I agree this is going to be a great game between two great teams and I will be there to cheer them on. But, if I had to pick a winner it would be Smyrna for the repeat. Why? Well, just so Lincoln County can say they were put out by the best. lol

Good luck to both teams. Hope this is an injury free night.

And Congratulations to Rod Wilks on receiving the Mr. Football award. Looking forward to seeing you in the orange and white next year.