LIPSCOMB VS FULTON

Galilee

Had you asked me several weeks ago....I would have had my doubts for the Falcons. However, Fulton is really hot right now and absolutely embarassed the "mighty" Pearl-Cohn Firebirds with the "spectacular" Daunte Mason. It looks like DL fought for their lives last night. Blair is coming off of his best performance of the year and the Falcons are completely healthy heading into next Saturday. I just think Fulton will prove to have too much speed and athleticism for the Mustangs this time around as well. I know DL will want it badly because of the past two years' failures, but that may not be enough to account for the difference in athletic ability.

With so many good skill position guys, and how the passing game is clicking on all cylinders....I'm going with Fulton by 14 /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Go Falcons! Make it 4 out of 5!

I don't think this was the philosophy that allowed you to win last year nor will it allow you to win this year. David Lipscomb has some above average atheletes in Zach Rogers, Jeremy Holt, Russ Moneypenny, and Kyle Lehning. David Lipscomb's secondary play is good. Their linebackers also run well and play the pass well.

To beat the mustangs the falcons need to do the same thing they did last year...run right at them. If Fulton opens this game in the power-I (like they finished last game), Lipscomb won't have much of a chance. That is assuming that the Falcons still have a few big, physcial lineman left from last year. David Lipscomb is small upfront (noseguard only weighs about 200). When teams have run right at them, they have moved the ball.

Holt and Rogers are the most dangerous Lipscomb players. They both have above average speed. Rogers is more of a homerun threat when split out by himself, but he has been playing wingback more recently to get some more touches. Simpson is a better thrower than last year's quarterback, but throwing out of the wing-t there are not a ton of options. Most of the passes are playaction, which won't work very good if they have trouble running.

I would like to see David Lipscomb win. They have a shot if they don't make any critical mistakes (like the fumble for a touchdown before the half last year). However, if Fulton is as big and physical as last year it will be difficult.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fulton's philosophy will probably be much different this time around. The Falcons had a big, experienced offensive line last year and the best RB in Fulton history in Dennis Rogan. Fulton went to that power package in the 2nd half, lining Hamilton up at FB (6-1, 280), and just pounded away, taking control of the line of scrimmage. Fulton has some decent size up front this year, but not nearly as big as last year, and an efficient back in Terrence Cobb. However, I think Fulton will utilize the passing game much more this year since the strength of the offense lies in the receiving corps and Blair. Last year, Fulton tried to wear down the Mustangs using the size up front and running ability of Rogan, but this year, I think it will be a different story. I look for Fulton to rely more on the short passing game and try to hit DL with some big plays through the air. But, who knows? Should be a great game this year as well! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Road 2 Three, You could not be more wrong about your statement about Middle Tennessee teams not beating a team from East Tennessee in 10 years. I played football at David Lipscomb. MY Junior in route to winning the state championship we destroyed the number one ranked team in the state Sweet Water. MY senior year we were up 49-0 on Alcoa at the half. Also Hillsboro beat Morristown in the State one year as well. Furthermore We beat Tyner two years in a row to advance to the next rounds. Sounds like you just like Big Country need to get your facts straight. This year I think the game is a toss up for both schools. Though both teams knew they could make it to the game they have over achieved to get there. Just like last State Championship game Fulton thinks they are going to roll but if Lipscomb doesnt win they will give them all they want. By the way dont feel good about Lipscomb struggling with Mitchell. Contrary to popular belief it looks like Lipscomb is the more battled tested team especially in the playoffss. Fulton hasnt had a close game in the playoffs and Lipscomb has won two close ones. In the end the team that makes the fewest mistakes wins this game.

I was referring to Class 3A, and I believe I said "Nearly a decade". Since 2001, East TN teams are now 12-0 against Middle TN teams in 3A. I should have specified that, so I apologize for the mishap. You referred to 2A and 4A games in the past. For the most part, Fulton and other 3A schools' arguments on our threads refer to 3A games and results. So, no, as far as 3A is concerned, I pretty much have my facts straight. As far as being battle tested, Fulton plays in Region 2-3A all year and the seniors have plenty of playoff experience, much like DL's seniors do as well. Just because DL has had a couple of close calls, and Fulton hasn't because of how well they're playing, doesn't make DL any more prepared for this game.

Yes, kids, that post from the Brooklyn Brawler is a prime example of good sportsmanship and showing class despite getting beat very badly on the field /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> . As for Mason, I think he is a great athlete and just didn't have the adequate help surrounding him to win a championship. I look for him to play receiver in college because of his size and speed, but who knows....

I was referring to Class 3A, and I believe I said "Nearly a decade". Since 2001, East TN teams are now 12-0 against Middle TN teams in 3A. I should have specified that, so I apologize for the mishap. You referred to 2A and 4A games in the past. For the most part, Fulton and other 3A schools' arguments on our threads refer to 3A games and results. So, no, as far as 3A is concerned, I pretty much have my facts straight. As far as being battle tested, Fulton plays in Region 2-3A all year and the seniors have plenty of playoff experience, much like DL's seniors do as well. Just because DL has had a couple of close calls, and Fulton hasn't because of how well they're playing, doesn't make DL any more prepared for this game.

You are right you should have specified. However it was not merely a mistake. Clearly you were trying to make it sound as though East Tennessee is dominant over Middle Tennessee football. This is simply not true. Also over the years the majority of Middle Tennessee schools have not played 3A football. They have either been in bigger classes or smaller classes. Lipscomb's superiority as a program can be seen by them reaching the title game each of the last three years. Granted Fulton's superiority can be seen by their amount of state titles. However everyone knows that Prior to the classification change 3A was one of the weaker classes in Tennessee. Also since you are looking at regional dominance then the mid state crushes any other part of the state in all classifications with championships. I say all these things with much respect to Fulton and there excellent program. By the way the X factor in the game is Lipscomb's coach that everyone knows he is the best in the state. All I keep hearing is Lipscomb will be beaten because Fulton has superior atheletes but if you look at Lipscomb's history they have a way of overcoming that and winning. By the way the last time no body gave Lipscomb a chance at winning the mustangs ran wild. Im not saying they are going to win but the under dawg role is always a better spot to be in.

Road 2 Three, You could not be more wrong about your statement about Middle Tennessee teams not beating a team from East Tennessee in 10 years. I played football at David Lipscomb. MY Junior in route to winning the state championship we destroyed the number one ranked team in the state Sweet Water. MY senior year we were up 49-0 on Alcoa at the half. Also Hillsboro beat Morristown in the State one year as well. Furthermore We beat Tyner two years in a row to advance to the next rounds. Sounds like you just like Big Country need to get your facts straight. This year I think the game is a toss up for both schools. Though both teams knew they could make it to the game they have over achieved to get there. Just like last State Championship game Fulton thinks they are going to roll but if Lipscomb doesnt win they will give them all they want. By the way dont feel good about Lipscomb struggling with Mitchell. Contrary to popular belief it looks like Lipscomb is the more battled tested team especially in the playoffss. Fulton hasnt had a close game in the playoffs and Lipscomb has won two close ones. In the end the team that makes the fewest mistakes wins this game.

Okay and let me tell you why Lipscomb has had tougher games in the playoffs. Lipscomb didnt play anyone throughout the entire season! All these teams they beat were like 5-5, 6-4, and if lucky, 7-3. But then those teams that were like 7-3 or 8-2 played the same teams Lipscomb played. I've said it once, I'll say it again. Region2-3A is the toughest region in the state. And for anyone thinking Fulton thinks they are just going to roll over Lipscomb, Fulton is not at all underestimating Lipscomb.

Fulton wont beat Lipscomb throwing the football. They will beat Lipscomb running right at them. Lipscomb's line is small compared to Fulton and a couple play both ways. If Fulton comes out throwing, they are playing right into Lipscombs hands.

If Blair throws the ball like he did against Pearl-Cohn, then Fulton will throw it plenty at the Mustangs. Fulton's offense is nearly unstoppable when Blair is making the throws to Humphrey, Tyson, and Smith. All three of these guys are making their 3rd trip to the Boro and have already claimed 2 rings to their credit. Anybody who caught the PC game now knows how good these guys are. That's how Fulton blew PC out, with their passing game. Fulton's OL has improved over the year, and with T Cobb, Wilcox, and Stokes, the running game can be efficient, but Fulton's offensive strength lies in their passing game, and if Blair is on, DL won't be able to stop it.