LIPSCOMB VS FULTON

Galilee

Well, it looks like the DL Mustangs finally got the 3A "monkey" off their backs. As the saying goes, "Third times a charm"....As for Fulton, I've seen a few posts on here since the game downing Fulton's coaching staff and claiming how much "better coached" DL was. While I do wish Fulton had went to the air more in the 2nd half and utilized their athletes on the outside (Humphrey, Tyson, and Smith), the coaching staff probably had their best year since 2002 in my opinion. The Falcons went into this season with most thinking they would have to fight to even make the playoffs. Fulton lost all 5 starting offensive linemen (and the 6th man in Brown), 3/4 starting defensive linemen, Gildner and Winters at LB, Dennis Freeney, and the best RB to ever go through the school in Dennis Rogan off of the 2006 championship team. The starting O-Line this year was basically last year's JV line, with the addition of a freshman starting at right tackle. Jock Stinson, who started in the title game last year, was dismissed from the team at the start of the year as well. To be honest, when Oak Ridge beat them 30-14 the first game of the year, and when Catholic beat them 27-0, I thought the Falcons would be lucky to get to the 3rd round of the playoffs. That team this year played with a lot of heart and seniors like T Cobb, Stokes, Humphrey, Tyson, Smith, and Blair made the big plays and the coaching staff did one heck of a job to get back to Murfreesboro, where NOBODY thought they would end up. If DL's QB doesn't make that perfect throw to Rogers in the 2nd half that went for 30+ yards, when he hadn't been close on his other 3 throws, then I think Fulton still wins it. But, DL made the plays they needed to make to finally get it done. I don't consider it an upset in the least. DL was my pick to win it from Day 1, I just thought they would beat Catholic, not Fulton. The Falcons' coaching staff has won 75 games, 3 State Championships, and 2 State Runner-Ups, since 2001. Not bad, not bad at all.

Congrats to the Mustangs and hopefully this little rivalry can continue in the future /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shove it really shows class...maybe you would have been "nicer" with we shot ourselves in the foot. Either way it means the same thing. DL coaching staff is working with a more experienced and proven team. Fulton's staff had to start the season with the loss of 22 seniors. They did an excellent job to get to the title game let alone compete. Both teams played with class...like it or not.

To me "not showing class" is making excuses as to why you lost instead of giving the other team their due credit. Most of the time when teams have turn-overs or are not playing very well it is b/c the team you are playing is making you look worse than normal. Also, I never once said that Fulton didnt have any class, just that DL was very classy in their win.....

Well, it looks like the DL Mustangs finally got the 3A "monkey" off their backs. As the saying goes, "Third times a charm"....As for Fulton, I've seen a few posts on here since the game downing Fulton's coaching staff and claiming how much "better coached" DL was. While I do wish Fulton had went to the air more in the 2nd half and utilized their athletes on the outside (Humphrey, Tyson, and Smith), the coaching staff probably had their best year since 2002 in my opinion. The Falcons went into this season with most thinking they would have to fight to even make the playoffs. Fulton lost all 5 starting offensive linemen (and the 6th man in Brown), 3/4 starting defensive linemen, Gildner and Winters at LB, Dennis Freeney, and the best RB to ever go through the school in Dennis Rogan off of the 2006 championship team. The starting O-Line this year was basically last year's JV line, with the addition of a freshman starting at right tackle. Jock Stinson, who started in the title game last year, was dismissed from the team at the start of the year as well. To be honest, when Oak Ridge beat them 30-14 the first game of the year, and when Catholic beat them 27-0, I thought the Falcons would be lucky to get to the 3rd round of the playoffs. That team this year played with a lot of heart and seniors like T Cobb, Stokes, Humphrey, Tyson, Smith, and Blair made the big plays and the coaching staff did one heck of a job to get back to Murfreesboro, where NOBODY thought they would end up. If DL's QB doesn't make that perfect throw to Rogers in the 2nd half that went for 30+ yards, when he hadn't been close on his other 3 throws, then I think Fulton still wins it. But, DL made the plays they needed to make to finally get it done. I don't consider it an upset in the least. DL was my pick to win it from Day 1, I just thought they would beat Catholic, not Fulton. The Falcons' coaching staff has won 75 games, 3 State Championships, and 2 State Runner-Ups, since 2001. Not bad, not bad at all.

Congrats to the Mustangs and hopefully this little rivalry can continue in the future /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I never stated that the Fulton coaching staff did not do a good job this season; in fact, they had a great season considering all of the reasons you stated. I do feel that for this particular game they were out-coached, that doesnt mean their staff is not as good as DL's, just that they were better this game.....

Road2three

If's happen alot in a loss. DL was asking those if's a couple times last year as well. If's mean nothing, but a loss.

I am more disappointed in some of the behavior of the team during the last few plays of the game and afterward. For a team that has experienced the Championship game before they lost composure.

Sitting in the area were many coaches were, I heard many and saw what they were talking about. The Falcons lack of class during the loss was obvious.

Road2three

If's happen alot in a loss. DL was asking those if's a couple times last year as well. If's mean nothing, but a loss.

I am more disappointed in some of the behavior of the team during the last few plays of the game and afterward. For a team that has experienced the Championship game before they lost composure.

Sitting in the area were many coaches were, I heard many and saw what they were talking about. The Falcons lack of class during the loss was obvious.

What do you expect. We wanted another ring to show everyone, hey, we still are the Fulton Falcons no matter who we lose. Great season and I feel for ALL the seniors.

If DL's QB doesn't make that perfect throw to Rogers in the 2nd half that went for 30+ yards, when he hadn't been close on his other 3 throws, then I think Fulton still wins it.

Thinking the same thing here. Fulton had just taken the lead and all the momentum. David Lipscomb gets stopped there, Fulton gets the ball back and more than likely scores again and again and probably again. That was the play of the year for Zach Rogers and for the rest of my life, I will never forget Zach Rogers. Now you see how 1 play shifts a game. But poor tackling didnt help Fulton either.

Road2three

I would love to know what you think you know...having been on the sidelines from pre-game with the team until they were back on the bus to Knoxville I witnessed nothing but disappoint and sadness. The Falcons played hard right up to the last second on the clock, just like a good well coached team should. Poor behavior is not acceptable and would not have been tolerated by any Fulton coach.

I would love to know what you think you know...having been on the sidelines from pre-game with the team until they were back on the bus to Knoxville I witnessed nothing but disappoint and sadness. The Falcons played hard right up to the last second on the clock, just like a good well coached team should. Poor behavior is not acceptable and would not have been tolerated by any Fulton coach.

I had a birds eye view of it all and so did well over 2000 people. In your defense you could not have seen all that went on. The refusing to shake hands at first was just one of the many things. I was completely surprised by the action that several had. I was also very dissapointed. To be selected MVP and just before they call you name out sling your helmet and shoulder pads off. Accepting the MVP without your teams jersey on shows just how much respect he had for his team, his coaches, his school, and his community. He was not the only one. I know it was a hard time for the kids, but they had won it before and should know how to act. It was a direct reflection on everyone involved in the program including Knoxville.

Road to three, Rogers catch really did shift the game but if Lipscomb's QB does not under throw Rogers then Lipscomb more than likely takes a 2 score lead into the half and recieving in the second half ccould have led to a three touchdown lead. Undoutably Fulton overachieved to get to the champioship but Lipscomb lost over twenty seniors last year as well. So its not like this was a one time trip for Lipscomb next year the mustangs will be better than this year. So dont make excuses for not winning by talking about Fultons team the year before compared to this years team. The bottom line is Lipscomb found a way to get it done and Fulton did not. One thing that I found surprising is that Fultons 2 point conversion plays. Last year I saw the film and it seemed like they had some unstoppable two point plays. Most teams that go for two have a section in the playbook for those situations. I am sure you realize that if Fulton gets all their two point conversions it would have been tied. I agree this was not an upset but the Fulton fans on the message boards at least said that Fulton would win and that their athletes were to much for Lipscomb to handle. I thought Fultons coaches called a good game and are obviosuly outstanding. I would have done the reverse of what many are calling for and stuck to pounding the football throughout the game but aany crticism of the Fulton coaches is unwarranted. Chances are Fulton and Lipscomb will meet again next yearr. I wouldnt say Fulton did not show class at the end but some of their players acted immature but what do you expect out of 17-18 year old kids after losing the biggest game of their life.

I AM BACK BOYS & BETTER THAN EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

Region 5-3A is now "KING OF THE MOUNTAIN" when it comes to football in Class 3A. I WILL MAKE THIS POINT WELL KNOWN THROUGHOUT THE OFF-SEASON & THROUGHOUT NEXT SEASON AS WELL!!!!!!

Congrats to the David Lipscomb Mustangs on your third state title in school history and the first for this senior class. It is great to see that guys like Davis, Holt, Moneypenny, Cannon, Hunt, Tenpenny, & Lehmer will get to go out as CHAMPIONS ON TOP OF THE MOUNTAIN!!!!!

As someone stated earlier this David Lipscomb Mustangs squad will be the heavy choice to repeat going into next year. They return Rogers, Webb, Brewer, Saggio, Quinn, Hudson, Simpson, Daniel, & Lehning from this year's bunch. If DL is able to replace the backfield of Holt & Moneypenny then they'll get back.

Fulton has a tougher road to go in terms of getting back. The Falcons lose Wilcox, Siler, Cobb, Stokes, Blair, Humphrey, Tyson, Smith, & #55 (whose name has slipped my mind) all from this year's squad. Outside of some linemen on offense and #8 that played tight end + defensive linemen #28, #26, & #44 I really don't know what Fulton returns. They have some skilled players to replace that's for sure /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

SO ??? JUST KIDDING ...KEEP US INFORMED NEXT YEAR ON ALL THE F/B TEAMS IN MID TENN (ESPECIALLY DL N PC BEING YOUR FAVS ) NEXT YEAR "WITHOUT" YOUR BIASED OPIOIONS.

Okay I have had enough!!! First of all you won't find a better Coaching Staff than at Fulton High School! And before you say it, I am not taking ANYTHING away from DL's coaches I am just saying our Coaches are great! Second, you can think all you want that Fulton has little or no class, but they have plenty of class and plenty of respect! TCOBB was very upset over the loss...you would be too if you had just played as hard as he did only for his team to come up short! For the most part, DL had lots of Class (helping players up and seeking our players out after the game to shake their hand). You cannot judge a whole team by a few people's actions. No, we cannot see EVERYTHING that goes on but neither can you! I had 3 separate experiences with rude DL fans after the game. One especially was a car full of kids who held up their championship bumper sticker in the car windows in one hand and flipped birds with the other!(you know who you are) I happened to notice the license plate # but am I going to display it on here NO! That was about as classless as you can get! They are just kids and they are still learning! I do not judge your program by what a few fans said and did! I did have my children with me during these experiences and I wished that they would not have seen or heard some of the things they did, but I used it as a learning experience for them. I was very impressed by what I saw from all of your coaches and most of your players, and some of your fans! I think you can honestly say the same thing about Fulton's entire program! Please do not get on here and talk out of both sides of your mouth and say that we did not give you all respect IT JUST IS NOT TRUE! Give our guys a break! Don't say that we have already won State and to be satisfied with that! You forget that not everyone on the team this year was a part of the team last year(including some seniors). Even if they were, it was a tough loss!

WAY TO GO DAVID LIPSCOMB ON A GREAT WIN! ENJOY YOUR GOLD BALL AND RINGS! I KNOW YOU ARE HAVING THE TIME OF YOUR LIVES AND THIS IS SOMETHING YOU WILL NEVER FORGET! FROM A VERY LOYAL FULTON FAN, I AM PROUD OF YOU ALL !

TO MY FALCONS, I KNOW THIS WAS A TOUGH LOSS! THERE IS NOTHING TO BE ASHAMED OF THO LOSE IN MURFREESBORO! I AM PROUD OF EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU! PLEASE DO NOT TAKE EVERYTHING YOU READ ON HEAR TO HEART! I KNOW WHAT YOU ALL STAND FOR AND WHAT KIND OF TEAM YOU ARE FROM THE COACHING STAFF, SUPPORTIVE STAFF, PLAYERS, AS WELL AS FAN! WE ARE A TIGHT FAMILY!

GO FALCONS!

CONGRATULATIONS DAVID LIPSCOMB ON A GREAT WIN!