Maryville vs Maplewood

jrlcm

That AE team in 1986 talked more noise than any team I ever seen. Pearl Cohn in 1997 talked the noise also. Both those teams were better than Maryville that year. These Maryville kids won't let Maplewood get in their head. These kids have played on Maryville teams that have beaten real good teams like Alcoa,Powell,Central,MOWest,Melrose,Hillsboro,William Blount and Red Bank. Don't think for a minute that those teams didn't try to get in Maryville's head. Alcoa does their TOO HYPE chant that tries to intimidate. Red Bank made the fatal mistake of trying to taunt Maryville by dancing on their sideline.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, do I think that will happen again? Not really. But, like I said last week, if Maryville's case of fumbleitis rears its head again, Maplewood has a chance. If it doesn't, then I just don't see Maplewood outscoring them. Maryville has developed a pretty good defense over the course of the season that has gone unnoticed because of the offense hitting on all cylinders right now.

Sounds familiar.

Semifinal Game Maplewood had appx 146 total yards (most on the ground) against appx 365 (275 rushing) total yards for HCHS. 2 lost HCHS fumbles to MHS 0 lost fumbles. 1 HCHS INT to MHS 0 INT. can erase differences in yardage stats. It is all part of the game.

Good Luck to both MHS teams.

Sounds familiar.

Semifinal Game Maplewood had appx 146 total yards (most on the ground) against appx 365 (275 rushing) total yards for HCHS. 2 lost HCHS fumbles to MHS 0 lost fumbles. 1 HCHS INT to MHS 0 INT. can erase differences in yardage stats. It is all part of the game.

Good Luck to both MHS teams.

according to the coacht website Maplewood is Maplewood Comprehensive School not Maplewood High School-GO MHS RED REBELS!!!!!! i think murvil's special teams et offense is gonna be the difference makers-can't wait til saturday-Move them Chains!!!!!!!!

wow its hard to find anything on you guys ..its like youre a ghost ..had all your game stats and info removed like an old tattoo of your ex .. but i did see one flaw in "mighty" maryville game ... lil ole team called West with a record of (7 - 5) gave you guys fits!!

id sure like to see that tape, if i was Maplewood

Maryville 17 - West 9 whats up with that?

Im not going to talk smack about maplewoods game plan of what they may or might not be doing on the field ..but im sure going to talk about other things that i feel are worth speaking of .. like students paying to go to a "public" school..special tranfers ..2 addresses .. things of that sort.

I'm a Memphis guy who pulls for Memphis teams, so I don't have a dog in this fight. Considering all the things that I have read in this thread ... and I have read it from top to bottom, I have a few observations.

Henry County:

Great season. Your school is going through its learning phase. I remember when Melrose went through theirs under coach Ingram. The first year they made it to the semi-finals ... they lost to coach Adeylot's (sp?) Hillsboro team @ Melrose by a score of 7-6. They followed that with another semi-final loss to the same team by a score of 22-21 (or something like that). They followed that with two straight appearences in the championship game ... only to lose to Maryville both times. I'm not saying that HC will or will not make it to the championship game next year ... I am saying that there is a learning process that takes place. The point I'm trying to make is that winning at the top level is a learned thing ... by everyone involved. Henry has made great strides in this regard. Good season.

Maplewood:

I have read numerous posts from Hillsboro and Henry County fans alike saying things like ... "Maplewood is more fortunate then good because in each instance, the team that they played just had a bad game that day"... "and Maplewood won these games, but they weren't the better team." Those are not direct quotes ... but you get the gist of what I am saying. I read where ... Maplewood would not have beat Hillsboro if it wern't for all of the fumbling and so on and so forth. I have read where it has been said that ... "Melrose is better then Maplewood, and if it were not for some bad execution from Henry County .... yada, yada, yada."

Truth of the matter is ... Maplewood is that good. They beat Hillsboro fair and square. They beat Henry County fair and square. Both victories were at the other teams home field! If Hillsboro or Henry County didn't perform up to par ... too bad. I happen to think Maplewood is the reason why they didn't play so well. Even if you don't agree ... Maplewood DID what was needed to win ... The other teams didn't. Maplewood advances ... the other two teams work towards spring training while watching basketball games.

If you have a bad taste in your mouth after your defeat at the hands of Maplewood ... I can understand. If you didn't like the antics of some of the players/coaches/fans/whoever ... I can understand that as well. But trying to discredit them AFTER they beat your team LOOKS BAD. You don't have to like them or respect them ... but trying to discredit their accomplishments is just plain wrong. Maplewood is darn good ... give them credit or don't ... but, they are in the championship game ... everybody else is a spectator.

The Championship game:

I remember when Melrose first played Maryville ... everybody expected a blow-out. It wasn't. In fact .. it was very close.

Maryville has the swagger. Maryville has the experience. Maryville has the coaching. Maryville is suppose to win. Maryvile is the superior TEAM. Maryville by as many as they choose.

Maplewood is just glad to be here ... or so we ar told.

But ... I keep remembering the first game between Melrose and Maryville ... I could be wrong ... but for some reason ... it sticks in the back of my mind. Maplewood's offense isn't flashy. They are an inner city team that is filled with athletes ... not a cohesive TEAM ... like Maryville. They have one of the BEST defenses in TN high school football. They are the unanimus underdog and EVERYBODY doubts they will even make it a game.

I don't know ... but it kind of reminds me of the Melrose team that played Maryville those years back ... exact same circumstances ... just change the names ... Melrose ... Maplewood.

I do know this ... Maplewood had to scratch and claw and fight to get here. I don't think they go in here and lay an egg. Everywhere you look ... there are folks doubting them ... there are folks thinking that they won't be able to compete. To me ... its fuel for the fire.

This game will be closer then what folks think. Both teams will lay the wood on each other. I don't buy a blow-out at all. I think it will be low scoring because Maplewood's 'D' is THAT good, and so is Maryville's.

But ... that's my lil ole $0.02 worth.

wow its hard to find anything on you guys ..its like youre a ghost ..had all your game stats and info removed like an old tattoo of your ex .. but i did see one flaw in "mighty" maryville game ... lil ole team called West with a record of (7 - 5) gave you guys fits!!

id sure like to see that tape, if i was Maplewood

Maryville 17 - West 9 whats up with that?

Im not going to talk smack about maplewoods game plan of what they may or might not be doing on the field ..but im sure going to talk about other things that i feel are worth speaking of .. like students paying to go to a "public" school..special tranfers ..2 addresses .. things of that sort.

hey you need to read all the posts. i understand that you can't fathom the idea of somebody paying to go to a public school since you guys are a "comprehensive" school (another way to say special ed)-but get this, murvil does rank in the top 1% every year in ACT and SAT-that's in the USA not in the state!!!! more kids pay tuition to go to murvil because of their academics than atheletics-don't listen to a bunch of haters who don't have a clue. and finally you SHOULD BE talking about maplewood's game plan-because guess what?-that's what the message board is all about!!!! Catch a Clue Dude!!!!

kwc

I hope Maplewood doesn't have that same kind of defense Melrose had. That Melrose defense was the best I ever seen a Maryville team go against.

I don't know if their defense will match THAT Melrose team's 'D' ... but their defensive statistics are pretty good. I have not seen them play ... but from what I have read, they just seem to get a lot of turnovers while not turning it over much themselves. That, to me, is the mark of a pretty good team. Very opportunistic.

hey you need to read all the posts. i understand that you can't fathom the idea of somebody paying to go to a public school since you guys are a "comprehensive" school (another way to say special ed)-but get this, murvil does rank in the top 1% every year in ACT and SAT-that's in the USA not in the state!!!! more kids pay tuition to go to murvil because of their academics than atheletics-don't listen to a bunch of haters who don't have a clue. and finally you SHOULD BE talking about maplewood's game plan-because guess what?-that's what the message board is all about!!!! Catch a Clue Dude!!!!

not this week pal. im listening..some of you seem to know nothing

Let's see 2 divide by 4 and 132 of the tangent 36 cosigned by the square root of 3.33, yup I will take Maryville by 17.

Maryville 31

Maplewood 14

I would be willing to bet the garbiage truck knows the direction to the boro, and hopefully it will come back with a golden shimmer! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Knox West has a darn good team. Every Maryville fan I talked to was really nervous over that game. West lost 5 games but look who they lost to.

Farragut. Farragut beat them 40-24. Farragut was leading 28-7 at the half. West's starting quarterback Jake Ryan had to sit out the 1st half for disciplinary reasons. When Ryan come back in the 2nd half Farragut had no answer for West. West had no answer for Andre Sterling. It would have been much closer had Ryan played the whole game. Farragut reached the 5A quarterfinals losing to Bearden.

Bearden. Bearden beat West 17-14. Bearden had a great team that reached the 5A semifinals losing 17-14 to Smyrna. West gave Bearden fits before losing.

Halls. West blew a big lead in losing that game in overtime.

Maryville beat West twice 35-21 and 17-9.

It is hard to beat a good team twice. Hillsboro found that out losing to Maplewood. West has some great skill players. No team Maryville faced had better wide receivers and running backs. West had one running back that weighed 225. He was aload. The other tailback was a speedster. The quarterback was good but not near as good as Alcoa and Sullivan South's quarterback.

Maryville did play bad in the playoff game vs West. Maryville dropped several passes and fumbled twice. Maryville also had nearly 150yds in penalties.

kwc

I hope Maplewood doesn't have that same kind of defense Melrose had. That Melrose defense was the best I ever seen a Maryville team go against.

I concur with RR. That Melrose defense is the best I've ever seen. One of their DBs laid a wakeup call hit on one of Maryville's star receivers when he went across the middle on the first drive like I've never seen. That helped keep an amazingly powerful MHS offense in check the rest of the day.

The Melrose defense gave up only 5.86 points per game that season. And they held Maryville to 7. That game was one of only 3 times in GQ's tenure that MHS has been held to 7 points or less.