Maryville vs Maplewood

jrlcm

Maryville gets the four-peat and seniors rejoice 'cause they got to see their football team go all the way every year in HS. And especially those on the football team; 4 rings is alot. But I wouldn't be surprised if Maplewood won either. They have got to be the cinderella story of Div. I football right now.

Maryville 35 Maplewood 7. Enough said.!!!!!

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a lot have people have pointed to the stratford game score ... 12 - 3 ..and that score is wrong Maplewood won the game 28 - 9 stratford scored late in the game and failed two pt conversion but by that point the game was over maplewood starters were out and 2nd string QB was in.. and stratford was only in the game until kick off and besides that game has nothing to do with where maplewood is right now ..and thats playing for a state title! ..thats a fact ..im not go talk alot of smack ...simply because i dont want to give maryville any more of an advantage than the one they "think" they already have ..everyone's talking ... but dont seem to know what they are talking about ..ive read the post and they are clueless as to what maplewood has ..and who is who.. and i like that .. keep thinking that its going to be a cake walk.. i need one more favor ..golfendude ..i need you to pick maryville /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

boski hello my smack friend. Hey dude we looked for you at Henry Co. game. We had that fire smoking on that pit waiting for the boski to show up for a roasting. Ok boski you know i have to pick the Big MV but i can assure you of this i will wishing it for you and them Panthers. We all live in middle Tennessee. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

One thing I have to say is I do not think it is right that a kid can pay tuition and go to another school. I also don't think that they should allow public and private in the same leagues. That is only my opinion though, and another thread.

Yes many schools do it. I know that Maryville is not the only one. Alcoa, Greeneville, DB, Elizabethton, and many many more.

A kid should not go to any school w/ the main intention being to play any sport, not just football. I guess it supports laziness in a way; go where they are already winning, instead of working hard and knock off the team that is winning.....

First of all I want to say that Maplewood deserves to go to the game because they won. However, with that being said, I don't see them being any competition for Maryville. They really werent much competition for Henry County. Melrose was a much better team. I know we lost the game and I am not a sore loser, Im just calling it like I see it. During the Melrose game I felt like we played as hard as we could to get the win. Against Maplewood, we made too many mental errors and let them stay in the game long enough to win it. Im sure the players and fans at Hillsboro can relate to what I am saying. If we had played the same as we did against Melrose we would have had a running clock in the 2nd half. Im sure this does not make the Maplewood fans happy but they dont need to worry about what I say anyway. They need to worry about Maryville! To tell you the truth Maplewood, I was glad to see that Simpson was the starter because #11 has a much better arm! We will just have to try for next year!

A kid should not go to any school w/ the main intention being to play any sport, not just football. I guess it supports laziness in a way; go where they are already winning, instead of working hard and knock off the team that is winning.....

I agree Kevin

You should go to school in the district where you live. If you want to go to Maryville move in the Maryville city limits.

Maryville parents (city tax payers)should be mad at the school system for letting tuition students in when they are overcrowed. In my opinion they should not allow any tuition stutents in. If student is in 11th or 12 grade let them finish but 10th grade and under NO TUITION allowed. IN 2 years tuition would be no more. If you take out the tuition students maybe Maryville would not have to spend millions of $$$$$$ to add on to the high school. Maryville school system should check and find out the parents who live in the county and set up a 2nd residence (condo or apartment etc) in the city should be sent back to the school where they are zoned to go.

Any Maryville people want to step up and give us some real #'s on how many tuition students and students with 2nd residences are on Maryvilles athletic teams??????

I agree Kevin

You should go to school in the district where you live. If you want to go to Maryville move in the Maryville city limits.

Maryville parents (city tax payers)should be mad at the school system for letting tuition students in when they are overcrowed. In my opinion they should not allow any tuition stutents in. If student is in 11th or 12 grade let them finish but 10th grade and under NO TUITION allowed. IN 2 years tuition would be no more. If you take out the tuition students maybe Maryville would not have to spend millions of $$$$$$ to add on to the high school. Maryville school system should check and find out the parents who live in the county and set up a 2nd residence (condo or apartment etc) in the city should be sent back to the school where they are zoned to go.

Any Maryville people want to step up and give us some real #'s on how many tuition students and students with 2nd residences are on Maryvilles athletic teams??????

ok...i have never replied on this board, but after being informed on brent burnette winning the 4a back i just couldnt resist. First of all brent is a quality kid and an outstanding (pocket) drop back passer. He has amassed amazing stats and helped his team reach a state final. That being said.... this award was meant to be awarded to the top 4A BACK in the state of tn. IT DID NOT SAY "TOP 4A DROP BACK POCKET PASSER". So...here we stand with a young man by the name of Curt Phillips that has surpassed the state single season all purpose yards of all time. AND HE IS A "back".....just so happens to be a quarterback. MAYBE NEXT YEAR THEY WILL CHANGE THE AWARD TO "BEST DROP BACK POCKET PASSER"..........because this year they sure did award one.

I agree Kevin

I do not have any real numbers, but I do know that two years ago, Coach Quarles was asked on a Knoxville radio talk show how many tuition students were on the football team. Out of 85 players, 5 were on the team and 2 actually saw playing time that particular year. I can guarantee that most tuition students are attending MHS for academics....you should check out the academic program that MHS has...one of the best in Tennessee....right up there with Oak Ridge HS.

When the team wasn't winning years ago and there were many more tuition students than now, there was no one questioning this. I guess now that MHS won the State title in Basketball it won't be long until you start hearing people whining about that program. Maryville is not expanding its city limits into the county like they could I suppose. Therefore some folks who live in the county prefer the academics offered there that may not be at Willy Blount or Heritage...they are good schools in their own right but they do not offer everything MHS does. When my daughter graduated MHS she already had 16 hours credit that transferred to UT...she was essentially a 2nd semester Freshman when she walked onto campus.....It isn't all about sports there. When we moved here from North Carolina 10 years ago, as I was interviewing the principal about my son coming here, I tried to get answers about sports programs since he was an athlete, but I was told quite frankly that he would not discuss sports at all until we concluded with our academic discussion.

just my $ .02!!

ok...i have never replied on this board, but after being informed on brent burnette winning the 4a back i just couldnt resist. First of all brent is a quality kid and an outstanding (pocket) drop back passer. He has amassed amazing stats and helped his team reach a state final. That being said.... this award was meant to be awarded to the top 4A BACK in the state of tn. IT DID NOT SAY "TOP 4A DROP BACK POCKET PASSER". So...here we stand with a young man by the name of Curt Phillips that has surpassed the state single season all purpose yards of all time. AND HE IS A "back".....just so happens to be a quarterback. MAYBE NEXT YEAR THEY WILL CHANGE THE AWARD TO "BEST DROP BACK POCKET PASSER"..........because this year they sure did award one.

You make absolutely no sense whatsoever.

I haven't posted anything all year but I am just tired to all these crybabies complaining about maryville recruiting kids. As a former student and player, I can honestly say that I have not met one single player who said the only reason he came to maryville was because of football. I have also done a research project for my college business class which required me to interview some members/faculty of MHS and I was told that maryville only accepts ONE (rarely more than one) tuition student per year. Their list is HUGE with kids (only a hand full of whom are athelets) who would like to attend but only the ones with the best grades get in. Because the maryville school system wants to be know for its academics and not athletics, they only accept the best of the best. ALSO, their grades (tuition students) get reviewed every single year and only once did a tuition paying student get rejected for another year at maryville because of his/her grades were bad. You wanna play football for maryville??? you better be smart. plain and simple. Unless you know anything about Maryville City Schools, have talked to the faculty, or are a member of the community, please keep your comments about our tuition students to yourself. As stated by another person on here, only about 5 kids do not actually live inside maryville city limits. One last comment, IF we do recruit players, I will be the first person to sign a petition to fire the person who recruits these undersized players. You can go back to whatever year you want to....lets say 1998 for arguments sake and compare weight, height, bench, squat,...whatever else you want to compare, and you will see that the #s have (overall) gone down. Maryville has a great "team" every single year because the players buy into the system that GQ and his assistants present to them. GQ can make any team a champion he wants to, right now...its the maryville high school rebels but hopefully someday it will be ______ University and I say hopefully because he deserves more than anyone to coach college football.

Correction farmer

don't forget 97 /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

pearl-cohn 36 /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

maryville 16 /flower.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":flower:" border="0" alt="flower.gif" />

You keep bringing up a game that was ten years ago when the Seniors playing this Saturday were in 2nd grade. Still trying to determine the relevance in that other than you have to go back that far to find a Championship game Maryville lost.

I haven't posted anything all year but I am just tired to all these crybabies complaining about maryville recruiting kids. As a former student and player, I can honestly say that I have not met one single player who said the only reason he came to maryville was because of football. I have also done a research project for my college business class which required me to interview some members/faculty of MHS and I was told that maryville only accepts ONE (rarely more than one) tuition student per year. Their list is HUGE with kids (only a hand full of whom are athelets) who would like to attend but only the ones with the best grades get in. Because the maryville school system wants to be know for its academics and not athletics, they only accept the best of the best. ALSO, their grades (tuition students) get reviewed every single year and only once did a tuition paying student get rejected for another year at maryville because of his/her grades were bad. You wanna play football for maryville??? you better be smart. plain and simple. Unless you know anything about Maryville City Schools, have talked to the faculty, or are a member of the community, please keep your comments about our tuition students to yourself. As stated by another person on here, only about 5 kids do not actually live inside maryville city limits. One last comment, IF we do recruit players, I will be the first person to sign a petition to fire the person who recruits these undersized players. You can go back to whatever year you want to....lets say 1998 for arguments sake and compare weight, height, bench, squat,...whatever else you want to compare, and you will see that the #s have (overall) gone down. Maryville has a great "team" every single year because the players buy into the system that GQ and his assistants present to them. GQ can make any team a champion he wants to, right now...its the maryville high school rebels but hopefully someday it will be ______ University and I say hopefully because he deserves more than anyone to coach college football.

Great post and right on the money. People talk as if the only reason for tuition students is to stockpile football players. I guess that is why our offensive line averages 210 pounds a man this year and last year when our starting runningback was injured he was replaced by a 150 pound sophmore. And you are correct Maryville went twenty years 1978-1998 without a Championship and during that time had WAY MORE tuition students than now, and no one said a word. When my daughter was in the band in the late 90s there were three students (females) who attended as tuition students for the music program and the academics. At least that is what they told me and I am pretty sure they did not play football. Success breeds success and CONTEMPT. Those who hold the school's success in contempt need an alibi for their success. "They should be in 5A and open enrollment" are their favorite battle cries. Go to the Sullivan South/Maryville thread and they will crop up about the time the game was over. Some Maplewood supporters have already broached the subject. Teams with long runs of success are either loved, admired by some or hated. We have our share of haters. It is just the way it is. I heard the interview you mentioned with Quarles and I feel confident if he said it it is fact so those who say otherwise are basically calling our coach a liar. Coach said himself earlier this season it is ashame you have to be villified for your success. I agree.