What the heck is a "level playing field"

Baldcoach

They were in substate last year which is technically the first round of the state tourny.

And my point is they won 2 games 2 years ago now look at them.

Temple got caught cheating goes on to win the state title last year and get back again this year.

My main point was there were 3 privates who all lost in the first round in the BORO and bighurt makes it sound like they werent even a factor in highschool ball this season. Temple WILL win state next year being as they lose only 1 player off of this years BORO team , that many returners along with another stellar recruting class and you can mark it up as 2 out of 3 for Temple.

You are putting words in my mouth. My post said - "FYI. Last week rick7425 posted that there were no private schools playing in the D1 girls state tournament. There were 3 private schools in the D1 boys state tournament (Temple, Knoxville Grace and CPA) and and they all lost in the first round. University High in Johnson City is a public school in case you were wondering." You jumped to your own conclusions.

Every time there is an unequal representation of private schools at a state tournament there is complaining. It happens every Spring in baseball, softball and soccer and every Fall in girls soccer. Heck, private schools have won 2 football championships in the 3 years the multiplier has been in place and people still complain.

You complain about Grace. How about Stone Memorial's girls basketball, Siegel's boys basketball and Ravenwood in football? All new public school programs that have had great success.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stone's girls' basketball team is good at least in part because somehow most of the talent of the school they were formed from, Cumberland County, went to the new school. Cumberland's girls were ranked in the state just a couple of years ago in AAA and since then their program has nearly collapsed. There are also questions on Stone's enrollment and if they should actually be playing Class AAA already, Cumberland's supporters were on here talking about that so there may be nothing to it.

hi BH, you missed a great basketball game in lynchburg.

it was played the way the game was meant to be played.

looking at your examples; siegel & ravenwood, playing in the largest classifications & situated in major population centers really dont have anything in common with the single a teams.

stone mem is a largest classification team that split into two middle classification schools. the girls basketball team (already playing at state contender level in the largest classification) miraculously seems to have ended up together in the same school. they didnt get good overnight.

looking at it from the standpoint of the girls, it wouldnt seem fair to take them off a team of that quality after they had been working together for so long to reach that level. none the less, it doesnt seem all that fair for them to play in a lower class than they really are, either.

i dont think you would consider me an anti private. i think there have been plenty of private teams accomplish amazing things. the early temple teams were mostly average talent with great coaching. the team that beat ezell harding for the single a title, i thought was inspiring. one of my favorite teams i have seen play. ncs this year, they accomplished great things with really pretty mediocre talent. hard work and good coaching are obviously how they were built. i like to believe that i am fair enough to give credit where credit is due.

on the other hand, sometimes it is hard to maintain an evenhanded view of things.

not a lot of the news out of temple recently has been the sort that leaves me feeling all warm & fuzzy. and the athleticism of their recent teams doesnt create any sense of underdog sympathy for their small student body. quite the opposite, that concentration of athletes makes me feel a little suspicious.

how would you expect me to feel?

when i go to watch a region game, and there is a clarksville academy that lost 20 plus games a year ago and this year wins 20 plus, my instinct would be to admire the turnaround. but.... it would be different if i went and saw a team like ncs that simply plays better ball than more athletic opponents. what i saw was a team that was no better than last year's team, but had miraculously acquired three big-time athletes. is it anything other than human for me to joke about them being one more good free-agency period from making a run at a state title?

of course, in every example there are a lot of facts that i simply dont know. it is high school ball, no doubt in most cases i shouldnt know. over the years, when i have been personally acquainted with the facts, suspect situations are generally not at all what they seem. in those cases where they are what they seem, it is usually the parents, not the schools or coaches with less than honorable intentions. that said, i do know of some people (private and public) who are not particularly ethical.

i do not believe that there is any greater percentage of private coaches who would do unethical things. i do think it is a lot harder to actually pull it off in a small public school than in a larger school or a private.

but perception is reality, and i cant escape the perception that any private school can simply decide to be good, and make it happen overnight. i know we cant do that. the thing is, i like private schools and i cant escape that feeling. how do you expect people with less familiarity with ya'll to feel?

just some thoughts i have to offer. i would be interested to hear what you think.

we both know there is only one fair solution.

have a merit system, let people get as good as they can get, by whatever means they feel is right.

and let them play against their peers....

public or private.

You are putting words in my mouth. My post said - "FYI. Last week rick7425 posted that there were no private schools playing in the D1 girls state tournament. There were 3 private schools in the D1 boys state tournament (Temple, Knoxville Grace and CPA) and and they all lost in the first round. University High in Johnson City is a public school in case you were wondering." You jumped to your own conclusions.

Every time there is an unequal representation of private schools at a state tournament there is complaining. It happens every Spring in baseball, softball and soccer and every Fall in girls soccer. Heck, private schools have won 2 football championships in the 3 years the multiplier has been in place and people still complain.

You complain about Grace. How about Stone Memorial's girls basketball, Siegel's boys basketball and Ravenwood in football? All new public school programs that have had great success.

1. I know UH is public (weve played them for many years)

2. Youre comparing apples and oranges with all of those HUGE publics with tons of resources (unlike small 1a schools) I would bet that there has never been a 1a public build success in all three big sports , Football , Baseball , and Basketball as quickly as grace has.

3. There should be more public schools at state just by statistics alone , they greatly outnumber the privates yet somehow privates find a way to win just as many titles in lower classifications.

-Temple (private) defending 1a basketball champs , with a very respectable showing in the boro this year and will most likely win it next year.

-FCS (private) defending 1a baseball champs , with a very good shot at winning it again this year.

-JCS (private) played against FCS in baseball championship game last year and beat FCS (private) in the 1a football title game 2 seasons ago , and if I am not mistaken made the playoffs in their first year in 2a last season.

You are absolutely right publics have nothing to complain about. Publics outnumber privates some 10-1 in 1a yet privates appearances and championships are just as or more frequent than publics.

. . . You are absolutely right publics have nothing to complain about. Publics outnumber privates some 10-1 in 1a yet privates appearances and championships are just as or more frequent than publics.

Thanks for recognizing my veracity. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> I am just teasing you. I will have to disagree with your view and leave it at that.

Laz,

I agree with most of what you said. A merit system would be great but I don't think it is even being seriously considered.

I am sure the NCS/Moore County game was indeed a great game. MC certainly looked good again in their game Wednesday.

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...412/1002/SPORTS

Does this "career move" seem oddly timed to everyone else as it does for me? After losing to FCS two years in a row (and probably many more times in the future now) and talks about the multiplier being removed (meaning CPA, DCA, etc. moving down to 1A and Goodpasture and Lipscomb ending up in 2A) - this move seems to be more than random coincidence. Although I saw the comments Satterfield made and his support of removing privates from his path, I never took him for a guy that would cut and run.

To be honest, since his high school is the only game in his county - he should be allowing students from out of the "zone" to attend ala Alcoa and Maryville. He has enough clout to pull that off in TC.

Does this "career move" seem oddly timed to everyone else as it does for me? After losing to FCS two years in a row (and probably many more times in the future now) and talks about the multiplier being removed (meaning CPA, DCA, etc. moving down to 1A and Goodpasture and Lipscomb ending up in 2A) - this move seems to be more than random coincidence. Although I saw the comments Satterfield made and his support of removing privates from his path, I never took him for a guy that would cut and run.

To be honest, since his high school is the only game in his county - he should be allowing students from out of the "zone" to attend ala Alcoa and Maryville. He has enough clout to pull that off in TC.

Although, not the first, but most certainly the most ignorant, and totally

misinformed post you have made to date.

This move has been expected for years in TC. If you would like the unabridged version, you can visit the 1A thread. Short version, is this,

the current Director of Schools has retired after several years at the helm.

All knew this job would go to Clint when the job became open. It has, he

will take it. He has earned it, and owes TC nothing further. Cut & run, is

equally misinformed. Assuming, the alphabet schools are dropped back to 1A, after an equally assumed drop of the multiplier, it would not matter.

Shortly, TC will have to move up to 2A or higher due to an increase in

enrollment, thereby not being in the same class as the recruiters. I can't

recall Goodpasture or Lipscomb ever being a major problem for TC, or the

other ABCs' for that matter. True, TC did lose to FCS the past two years,

due to losing experienced talent. This is no longer the case. Two years

ago, was the first win for FCS in a couple of decades, so not really a big concern for anyone on the Creekbank.

As for changing jobs, don't give up your day job, This is not your forte'.

Although, not the first, but most certainly the most ignorant, and totally

misinformed post you have made to date.

This move has been expected for years in TC. If you would like the unabridged version, you can visit the 1A thread. Short version, is this,

the current Director of Schools has retired after several years at the helm.

All knew this job would go to Clint when the job became open. It has, he

will take it. He has earned it, and owes TC nothing further. Cut & run, is

equally misinformed. Assuming, the alphabet schools are dropped back to 1A, after an equally assumed drop of the multiplier, it would not matter.

Shortly, TC will have to move up to 2A or higher due to an increase in

enrollment, thereby not being in the same class as the recruiters. I can't

recall Goodpasture or Lipscomb ever being a major problem for TC, or the

other ABCs' for that matter. True, TC did lose to FCS the past two years,

due to losing experienced talent. This is no longer the case. Two years

ago, was the first win for FCS in a couple of decades, so not really a big concern for anyone on the Creekbank.

As for changing jobs, don't give up your day job, This is not your forte'.

Yeah...just another uninformed sandwich talking about something he has no idea about. I heard about this a long tme ago. I knew it was going to happen. Good luck to one of...if not the best high school coach in Tennessee history.

Yeah...just another uninformed sandwich talking about something he has no idea about. I heard about this a long tme ago. I knew it was going to happen. Good luck to one of...if not the best high school coach in Tennessee history.

Thanks, 'Twan,

i guess you know, you're going to have to call off 4 or 5 dogs this yr. The

role of drum is getting old. LOL

I thought the same thing PB & J. Anyone who has been around him much knows of his distaste for 1a privates. Despite rumors of "large gates" everyone knew they moved to 3A years ago to avoid David Pack's CPA monster teams, DCA, BGA, USJ, & Goodpasture in 2A. As soon as the multiplier was instituted he drops TC back into 1A and wins another title. 2006 & 2007 Back to back losses to both Watertown & FC, Dillard's gordonsville program that is rising back quickly, an up and coming Clay Co program, a Grider South Pitt program that is back on top and in his way in the playoffs, and the fact that the acronym privates might be back in 1A all seemed to make this "retirement decision" easy for him.

Of course look for him to return to the sidelines or the pressbox as an assistant if the privates and publics split!

I thought the same thing PB & J. Anyone who has been around him much knows of his distaste for 1a privates. Despite rumors of "large gates" everyone knew they moved to 3A years ago to avoid David Pack's CPA monster teams, DCA, BGA, USJ, & Goodpasture in 2A. As soon as the multiplier was instituted he drops TC back into 1A and wins another title. 2006 & 2007 Back to back losses to both Watertown & FC, Dillard's gordonsville program that is rising back quickly, an up and coming Clay Co program, a Grider South Pitt program that is back on top and in his way in the playoffs, and the fact that the acronym privates might be back in 1A all seemed to make this "retirement decision" easy for him.

Of course look for him to return to the sidelines or the pressbox as an assistant if the privates and publics split!

Rather than repost this, go back & read post # 428, and address this to yourself.

It is so good to finally see a poster that has all the inside info on TC & Coach Satterfield. I mean, I've lived here nearly 40 yrs., and followed the

program, and know Clint fairly well, and had no idea. You are certainly

on top of things.

For those not as well informed, a few facts ( don't let these confuse you),

about TC & the "monster privates".

Using the monsters you mentioned, let's look at the record.

CPA...Played from 1995 thru 2000....5 games played...TC 4.....CPA 1

DCA..Played from 1988 thru 2000.... 5 games played...TC 3....DCA 2

BGA..Played from 1969 thru 2000.... 7 games played...TC 4....BGA 3

USJ..Played from 1993 thru 1998.... 2 games played...TC 2....USJ 0

( Both State Champ. games )

Goodpasture..Played from 1991 thru 1992..2 games played..TC 1..G'P 1

Can't really see TC getting stomped in the mud here.

I can give you the entire list of TC vs Priv., if you like, but it disproves

your point.

BTW, stats, courtesy of my good friend, Ole3Putt.

Once again, to point out the ignorance of your position, TC "dropped" to

1A, when enrollment dropped. They will be going back up in a couple of yrs

again due to enrollment. These are rules put forth by our friends at the

T$$AA. Complain if you feel the need. Until the Supreme Court overturns

another of our freedoms, Clint had the right to land whever he darn well

chooses.

Reading your & PB&Js' stance, it is obvious there is a sizable basket full

of sour grapes here. Likely, TC may have kicked your butt unmercifully,

at some point, or just green with envy, because your program doesn't

measure up. Maybe try a bit of honey with the grapes. Can't hurt.

If you 2 would like to enlighten the rest of us here, as to what, if, any

school you are affiliated with, I'll be happy to pass it along to the coaching

staff. Perhaps we can have another grape in store for you, if we play again.