Maryville v. Maplewood

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still want an listing of open zoned schools in Tennessee.

So far I only hear complaints on a regular basis about two, really only one.

In urban areas...I don't think there are many (outside of Memphis) true open zone schools. There are several

in rural counties that have more than one high school. Most rural's zones are the county lines. They don't allow out of county kids. There are others that allow tuition paying students from outside their zone.

In urban areas...I don't think there are many (outside of Memphis) true open zone schools. There are several

in rural counties that have more than one high school. Most rural's zones are the county lines. They don't allow out of county kids. There are others that allow tuition paying students from outside their zone.

Well, if that is the case, we don't need to leave those schools out now do we. Multiply them!!!!! That is an unfair advantage in that that a kid on the north end of the county can go to the school on the sound end of the county because their football team, basketball taem, etc. is better.

Example I have seen many times -

Same scenrio you just described. Player A was a heckuva middle school basketball player. If you looked at a map of the county, there is no conceivable way you would zone him for single A high school and not the AA high school. But alas, the school lines were as you defined. But the large high school wasn't that good at basketball, politics reigned supreme, he could probably play baseball too at the small school, and the kid and his parents decided to send him to the small high school where the kid was very good in single A. This CLEARLY an unfair and distinct advantge for the small school, right? What's even funnier is that typically kids like this have to drive farther to get to the small, rural single A high school than they would to have to go to one of those nasty private schools.

I've also seen kids from the single A school go to the AA school because similar reasons listed above, just backwards, usually with baseball or football.

Now, tell me the difference and why we shouldn't slap some type of multiplier on schools in an area such as this?

Well, if that is the case, we don't need to leave those schools out now do we. Multiply them!!!!! That is an unfair advantage in that that a kid on the north end of the county can go to the school on the sound end of the county because their football team, basketball taem, etc. is better.

Example I have seen many times -

Same scenrio you just described. Player A was a heckuva middle school basketball player. If you looked at a map of the county, there is no conceivable way you would zone him for single A high school and not the AA high school. But alas, the school lines were as you defined. But the large high school wasn't that good at basketball, politics reigned supreme, he could probably play baseball too at the small school, and the kid and his parents decided to send him to the small high school where the kid was very good in single A. This CLEARLY an unfair and distinct advantge for the small school, right? What's even funnier is that typically kids like this have to drive farther to get to the small, rural single A high school than they would to have to go to one of those nasty private schools.

I've also seen kids from the single A school go to the AA school because similar reasons listed above, just backwards, usually with baseball or football.

Now, tell me the difference and why we shouldn't slap some type of multiplier on schools in an area such as this?

When you're talking about rural counties it doesn't matter much. You have pool of 15,000 people or less. You are lucky if there's one DI player in 20 years. Most counties like that have only one high school.

What schools are you referring to in your description?

When you're talking about rural counties it doesn't matter much. You have pool of 15,000 people or less. You are lucky if there's one DI player in 20 years. Most counties like that have only one high school.

The schools I am referring to really do not matter to the discussion.

It doesn't have to be a D-1 prospect to change the entire complexity of a district, region, etc, especially in Class A basketball. The kid can be a NAIA level kid or just a really good high school player who can drain around 5 threes a night and shoot 90% from the line, and it can make a world of difference.

If we're going down that path, fairness and equality should matter 100% of the time anyway. What's the difference in if it helps a school 10 years in a row, or 1 year in 10 years. It still gives them an advantage over other schools!

This interests me. How does it not matter much? If a rural county has a big 2a for instance, and a big 1a (no specific county in mind A /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> ), and any kid from the county can go to either one, don't you really have the potential for one school or the other to have an athlete pool the size of a small 4a? How fair is that?

How about if a county has 2 medium 1a schools and a medium 2a? Same thing, right? I mean, if Billy Joe is a fine tailback and school A has great Football while B and C are struggling, why wouldn't he go to A? Doesn't that let A draw from a pool of kids 4 times larger than other 1a schools? How is that NOT an advantage?

Let's look at some of these schools and see if they seem to have some sort of edge...

South Pitt, Smith County, Marion county in the 80s and early 90s, Cleveland, Maryville, Alcoa, Riverdale hmmm...I bet there are others but those just came to mind right away. If you add in metro small schools (which have the same capability) and magnets (ditto) I would be willing to bet that you have virtually EVERY state champ that has won in the last 30 years. Now THAT's an advantage...but over who? Basically over the very small, very rural one county school counties. Those are less than 20% of the total school population in the state. So instead of multiplying 80%, let's get everyone back together and let those types of schools play with a multiplier of .70 and go to a 6a system.

Well first of all I`d like to see some of these crybaby coaches like Satterfield, Rankin, etc quit being so darn hypocritical. They are spreading misleading facts to the general public. They are NOT being HONEST!!! I have no respect for them when they cry about wanting a level playing field and all they talk about is private schools this and private schools that. Why can`t they stand up and be a man about it and admit that if it`s not fair that private schools can get players from other areas then it shouldn`t be fair for schools like Maryville either.

This whole debate is has been centered on private vs. public. It has been manipulated by the Satterfields and Rankins. It was never their mission to "level the playing field" It`s all been about kicking out private schools.

Ok , I see that the chips on the shoulders in this room are HUUGGEE! I would like for you to name a player at MARYVILLE THAT DOES NOT LIVE IN MARYVILLE. As far as tuition goes , well I know Iam the only one who pays taxes and since there are no "private schools" in this area (as far competitive athletics go) then they are not pay me anything. I can assure you of onething ... if we did recruit none of you would ever win again. When you on top everybody hates you and that is their prerogative so go ahead and hate it is just fuel for the fire. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

The schools I am referring to really do not matter to the discussion.

It doesn't have to be a D-1 prospect to change the entire complexity of a district, region, etc, especially in Class A basketball. The kid can be a NAIA level kid or just a really good high school player who can drain around 5 threes a night and shoot 90% from the line, and it can make a world of difference.

If we're going down that path, fairness and equality should matter 100% of the time anyway. What's the difference in if it helps a school 10 years in a row, or 1 year in 10 years. It still gives them an advantage over other schools!

I think it does matter to the discussion. What schools are you referring to? I really don't care about basketball. The discussion is about football. What schools are you talking about? Give me one case.

This interests me. How does it not matter much? If a rural county has a big 2a for instance, and a big 1a (no specific county in mind A /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> ), and any kid from the county can go to either one, don't you really have the potential for one school or the other to have an athlete pool the size of a small 4a? How fair is that?

How about if a county has 2 medium 1a schools and a medium 2a? Same thing, right? I mean, if Billy Joe is a fine tailback and school A has great Football while B and C are struggling, why wouldn't he go to A? Doesn't that let A draw from a pool of kids 4 times larger than other 1a schools? How is that NOT an advantage?

Let's look at some of these schools and see if they seem to have some sort of edge...

South Pitt, Smith County, Marion county in the 80s and early 90s, Cleveland, Maryville, Alcoa, Riverdale hmmm...I bet there are others but those just came to mind right away. If you add in metro small schools (which have the same capability) and magnets (ditto) I would be willing to bet that you have virtually EVERY state champ that has won in the last 30 years. Now THAT's an advantage...but over who? Basically over the very small, very rural one county school counties. Those are less than 20% of the total school population in the state. So instead of multiplying 80%, let's get everyone back together and let those types of schools play with a multiplier of .70 and go to a 6a system.

I'm telling you it doesn't matter much...if any. I'm telling you that from experience. For the record...I am not for any kind of open zoning for publics. All publics should be zoned...even the small ones.

I think it does matter to the discussion. What schools are you referring to? I really don't care about basketball. The discussion is about football. What schools are you talking about? Give me one case.

The schools I am talking about are in West TN and you don't have to worry about them.

So it's ok to be unfair in basketball, but not football? C'mon now, if we're going to be fair and equal, we need to be fair and equal accross the board. We're doing this for the kids, right? To give ALL kids a fair chance to win?

I don't see how this is any different than anything at the core principle of the issue. Do these schools not have an unfair advantage over others they play if they can take kids from an entire county versus ones who do not? Yes or no? I don't care if it's one kid potentially or 100 kids, they still have an unfair advantage. It's the same argument that has been made against the privates for ages. Why is it differnet now?

Ok , I see that the chips on the shoulders in this room are HUUGGEE! I would like for you to name a player at MARYVILLE THAT DOES NOT LIVE IN MARYVILLE. As far as tuition goes , well I know Iam the only one who pays taxes and since there are no "private schools" in this area (as far competitive athletics go) then they are not pay me anything. I can assure you of onething ... if we did recruit none of you would ever win again. When you on top everybody hates you and that is their prerogative so go ahead and hate it is just fuel for the fire. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

You seem to be saying I accused Maryville of recruiting. I did not do that. Maryville does however enjoy some open zoned policies that private schools enjoy. Can you tell me for a fact that all 90 or so players live inside the Maryville city limits?