Maryville v. Maplewood

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then yes they had an advantage.

In my opinion publics who accept tuition (regardless if it is 1 student a year or 100) and magnets should have a multiplier it they want to play D1.

I agree. An advantage in this case would be the fact that Maryville has access to kids outside their zone. I`m assuming Maplewood does not.

I agree. An advantage in this case would be the fact that Maryville has access to kids outside their zone. I`m assuming Maplewood does not.

Since Maplewood has basically been taken over by the state, and is under NCLB madates as a failing school, any IN zone student can transfer out of Maplewood, and any Out of zone student that choses to go to Maplewood can, as long as they live in Davidson county. If they are from out of the county, they can still go there and pay tuition.

Since Maplewood has basically been taken over by the state, and is under NCLB madates as a failing school, any IN zone student can transfer out of Maplewood, and any Out of zone student that choses to go to Maplewood can, as long as they live in Davidson county. If they are from out of the county, they can still go there and pay tuition.

So would you say that a school like Maplewood that is on the NCLB list is more likely to have students transfer in or out?

How does the TSSAA treat kids that transfer under NCLB?

So would you say that a school like Maplewood that is on the NCLB list is more likely to have students transfer in or out?

How does the TSSAA treat kids that transfer under NCLB?

I'm not sure how TSSAA looks at those transfers. Since it Federally mandated that students at "failing" schools be allowed to chose another school, I dont think they can apply the traditions transfer rules. The same thing can happen in a school that is deemed "unsafe."

I doubt in the Maplewood case it has made much difference. For a student to go to another school, they have to provide their own transportation. Economically, that is not feasible for a large portion of the student body. And I dont think very many families are interested in letting their kids transfer into a school that is listed by the state as failing.

up in arms? that is the most retarded statement Ihave heard today. maybe they should just bow out and let the losers play in the state, heck maybe the TSSAA should just put it on rotation and let every team get a state title, that sounds fair , then we could all be mediocre. I think you are just nuts! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

Hello Mr. Maryville! Nice to cheat, errr, meet you! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

They shouldn't bow out. They have it great right where they are. Somehow always staying right under the 5A level radar while getting kids to attend via tuition that don't reside in their zone. Wait, isn't that why everyone freaks out about the privates and instituted D2 and the multiplier? Oh wait, the rest of Maryville's students that live in the Maryville proper area don't have the burden of paying tuition - it is free. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

Hello Mr. Maryville! Nice to cheat, errr, meet you! /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

They shouldn't bow out. They have it great right where they are. Somehow always staying right under the 5A level radar while getting kids to attend via tuition that don't reside in their zone. Wait, isn't that why everyone freaks out about the privates and instituted D2 and the multiplier? Oh wait, the rest of Maryville's students that live in the Maryville proper area don't have the burden of paying tuition - it is free. /blink.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

I'm no Maryville fan by any stretch, but your post is ludicrous. Maryville has done nothing to "cheat", and to my knowledge, plays under the same set of rules as every other DI team.

I might agree with some that we should have fewer football "champions" overall, or that Maryville might want to broaden their competition, but it seems to me that they have developed a great program, and there is massive jealousy about that on the part of some.

It's a really unattractive trait in anyone to try to put down success by accusing them of cheating or somehow skirting the rules.

imo, this isn't about the open zone question or anything like that. The open zone my marginally help Maryville, but I doubt by much (again--my opinion). The issue is that the multiplier was put in place in order to balance out the disparity between the level of participation at private schools and at public schools. That is the stated purpose of the multiplier...i.e., that a 500-person private school playing against a 500-person public school enjoys an unfair advantage because it is accepted that more of the private 500 play sports than does the public 500. Fair enough, and I agree with it.

But I am laying out the case here that the EXACT SAME THING that the multiplier was put in place to account for is happening right under our noses in 4A. Maryville and Maplewood have at least nominally the same # of students. And yet Maryville has 90+ kids out for the team, while Maplewood has just 30+.

So, shouldn't Maryville (and other programs like them) be grouped (like the D2 schools) with other schools with similar participation levels? And I don't really think the move to 5A changes much...Who would you take tomorrow, 1200-student Maryville or 2500-student McGavock? Or how about 400-student Alcoa against 1500-student Hillwood?

imo, this isn't about the open zone question or anything like that. The open zone my marginally help Maryville, but I doubt by much (again--my opinion). The issue is that the multiplier was put in place in order to balance out the disparity between the level of participation at private schools and at public schools. That is the stated purpose of the multiplier...i.e., that a 500-person private school playing against a 500-person public school enjoys an unfair advantage because it is accepted that more of the private 500 play sports than does the public 500. Fair enough, and I agree with it.

But I am laying out the case here that the EXACT SAME THING that the multiplier was put in place to account for is happening right under our noses in 4A. Maryville and Maplewood have at least nominally the same # of students. And yet Maryville has 90+ kids out for the team, while Maplewood has just 30+.

So, shouldn't Maryville (and other programs like them) be grouped (like the D2 schools) with other schools with similar participation levels? And I don't really think the move to 5A changes much...Who would you take tomorrow, 1200-student Maryville or 2500-student McGavock? Or how about 400-student Alcoa against 1500-student Hillwood?

The multiplier was not instigated by level of participation of private schools. It is instigated because of small private schools being in larger populated areas. They have the potential to get more athletes. Some do...some don't.

You will never create a true "level playing field". The attempts to do so have only created ill-will, and a watered down playoff system.

Yes, Maryville should have to (or get to, depending on your perspective) play against Smyrna, MBA, BA...you name the school...in order to win a state championship.

I recognize that I am preaching to the choir, BRBB. You make a nice logical argument, and would score well in a debate, but we both also know that the perfect system will never happen.

I'm no Maryville fan by any stretch, but your post is ludicrous. Maryville has done nothing to "cheat", and to my knowledge, plays under the same set of rules as every other DI team.

I might agree with some that we should have fewer football "champions" overall, or that Maryville might want to broaden their competition, but it seems to me that they have developed a great program, and there is massive jealousy about that on the part of some.

It's a really unattractive trait in anyone to try to put down success by accusing them of cheating or somehow skirting the rules.

itzme I agree. But isn`t it about time we all spread false propaganda about Maryville. It`s time we stir the masses so that everyone is ready to run them out of the TSSAA. I mean the same campaign has been going on for several years against the private schools. Your statement about Maryville not cheating is what most private school supporters have been saying for years. They don`t cheat and they play under the same rules as every other Div. I team.